collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa-Fat Sam to Wet Spam  (Read 9875 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: 0% Villa-Fat Sam to Wet Spam
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »
There will be a lot of disappointed people on here, loads wanted him to take over from GH, some were virtually begging for him to come and save us

Not quite John, when there were 7 or 8 games to go we looked in real danger of going down, especially after the Wolves game, and so some wanted GH sacked. Easter Island head was the the most realistic option to come in and fire fight for those remaining games.
I don't recall anyone wanting him as a long term manager.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 12:25:58 AM »
There will be a lot of disappointed people on here, loads wanted him to take over from GH, some were virtually begging for him to come and save us

Not quite John, when there were 7 or 8 games to go we looked in real danger of going down, especially after the Wolves game, and so some wanted GH sacked. Easter Island head was the the most realistic option to come in and fire fight for those remaining games.

If memory serves, I recall there was a majority on here who wanted GH sacked during that period and there were some who did specify a short term contract, but plenty of others who would gladly have just swopped GH for Fat Sam at that time.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 12:37:28 AM »
At the time I said if GH was sacked then because we were so close to the end of the season we would have to bring in someone who could hit the ground running. Sam was the obvious choice. I wouldn't have wanted him long term though.
One or two may have said they wanted Sam in long term, but some wanted GH out so bad that they'd have been happy with anyone else in. I still don't  think it was plenty though that wanted Sam as long term manager.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 01:43:15 AM »
Even 1 person on here wanting him shows how hysterical people were getting. Jesus, not rating GH is one thing but bringing that Dave Bassett throwback to Villa is another. So much for the west ham acadamy - Ron Greenwood must be on economy spin about now.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 06:49:03 AM »
I'm glad he his going to West Spam I wouldn't want his type of football at the Villa.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 07:10:55 AM »
The two results against Arsenal and Liverpool - both of which could have gone either way - have put a lot of people into a position of false confidence about our future.   After the Wolves game we were staring at the fate which befell Small Heath and anybody who has forgotten it is either in denial or a fool or both.   I do not recall any hysteria in these pages but I recall plenty of healthy realism.

If we start the next season with the same half arsed superiority complex we will have not learned the lessons of last season and we shall have another white knuckle ride.

If you want to build something first you put in the foundations and for that you need labourers with shovels.   Fat Sam is a perfect choice for West Ham to stand a chance to return to the Premiership plus he has the thick hide and fuck you personality to survive in the West Ham snake pit.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:49 AM »
Relief of mafeking proportions.

Offline sendô WHU

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 07:44:51 AM »
West Ham playing nice, attractive, attacking football has more often than not in recent times been a complete myth. I'm a big believer in the fact that good teams play well when they're winning, and poor teams struggle on the pitch. West Ham have fallen into the latter camp far too much of late.

However appointing a manager whose whole footballing ethos goes against attractive, attacking passing football is something else. We all recognise that we need someone who will drill the players, tighten the defence and improve our set piece play, but I don't think that should come completely at the cost of the club's principles of entertaining football for the (long suffering) fans.

The proof will be in the pudding. I don't doubt that the fat one will get us back up, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it on the back of signing Rory Delap and lumping it to the big men in the box every week.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 08:04:38 AM »
He will do the job there at the Hammers, but I'm still glad he is not at the Villa.

UTV
The Doc

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 08:11:23 AM »
Seeing Fat Sam gain employment the evening before the Villa post became availiable meant that last night I slept better than usual.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »

obviously my post was a little tongue in cheek, and a bit of a dig at those calling for Big Sam,
i agree with Sendo, his whole ethos is anti football, the spammers will not put up with it and it will all end in tears,
and thats even if he gets them back into the prem, which i admit is highly likely

even if we had have bought Big Sam in on a short term contract, as soon as we werr safe he would have had to have had a longer term contract for 'saving us' as acording to some on here he was the only one who could do it !

i could just imagine the sort of posts, 'we would have definitley gone down with Houllier, Sam is the messiah'

in my view Sam Alladyce would have been a masive mistake, the biggest i reckon we could ever have made,

and in my view anyone calling for him at the time needs there head examining, just glad they were not in control at VP or we would really be in the shit right now

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »
hopefully this will put to bed the myth that they play good football...

"academy of football", my arse...

Offline Damo70

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »
West Ham need to get back up and stay up for when they move to the new stadium. Allardyce will achieve that on a limited budget so the board will be happy. How happy the fans are with how he does it is a different matter.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 11:51:51 AM »
Putting Sam Allardyce in charge of West Ham United is like putting Silvester Stallone in charge of the Royal Ballet.  If Big Sam was cast in one of the owners' movies, he'd be the big ugly fella bursting in on the highly attractive couple makin' sweet love in an idyllic setting, to ruin their magic moment.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »
Excellent news - lots more material for the tweeting Fat Sam.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal