collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who Should be Aston Villa Manager ? Now with new, revised poll  (Read 1987084 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Who Should be Aston Villa Manager ? Now with new, revised poll
« Reply #4320 on: June 10, 2011, 05:06:21 PM »
Pelty, good to hear from you.
Would I be right in saying that we hadnt offered the job to Martinez yet, so turning us down isnt exactly accurate, he's just decided to honour a commitment he made after the last game of the season and secondly, is there any scrap of info you can feed us at all?

I'm alright, its just all these nervous plebs you see? :)
You're absolutely right, if you follow the timing of the various actions and announcements: Martinez did not meet up with us - after his return from hols, his response to the invitation to meet Villa reps was that he was going to accept an improved contract with Wigan and honour his commitment to them. He did not 'reject' an offer to manage Villa - as some media outlets have positioned it - because he was not made an offer.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #4321 on: June 10, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »
Ref the Fulham/Jol connection IIRC they actually agreed terms with him last year but Ajax blocked the move, hence Hughes' appointment. When Hughes left, Jol was available and all the 'get to know each other' which Pelty mentions had been done last year so the appointment was in effect just held over from last season.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #4322 on: June 10, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »

Sorry to disappoint you Pelty, but I couldn't afford the drop in salary, now would I wish to sully my CV by working for such a bunch of amateurs.  Anyway, can I ask in what capacity you're giving out information now?  It'd probably be better if the club were just open for a change rather than using a non exec-director's son to leak things on the sly. The last time you and the General acted in concert, Martin O'Neill ended up leaving.  You should be more careful.

Be that as it may, it does nothing to negate the fact that you know not a whit of what you speak yet seem to feel it that by being some sort of iconoclast, you are "sticking it to the man." Whatever gets your rocks off, Risso.

And similarly, if being used as some sort of unofficial mouthpiece to speak up for the gutless board of Aston Villa keeps you happy Pelty, then more power to you.

Out of order mate.

Offline pelty

« Reply #4323 on: June 10, 2011, 05:09:42 PM »
Maz: Yes to what you have to say on Martinez; an approach to talk was made, but it would seem that he felt it would not be the right thing to do to the club. I respect that.

CD: Not this time around, as far as I know

I am not going to say much as you have all seen the twists and turns this is taking and would not wish to risk Risso's ire with "leaks."

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
« Reply #4324 on: June 10, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »
Meltdown !!!!

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #4325 on: June 10, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »
As said elsewhere why arnt Chelsea coming under the spotlight for not appointing a manager within an hour with their gazillions to spend. Good post PELTY.
I thought it was pretty much accepted wisdom that Guus Hiddinck is going there and has actually quit the Turkish team to do it.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4326 on: June 10, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »
Pelty, regardless of your standpoint on all this, do you think it's clever to be getting involved in these arguments and risking it all ending up in the media?

Offline TheEgo

• GM : Sept, 2013
« Reply #4327 on: June 10, 2011, 05:12:44 PM »
Ooh Im grabbing the popcorn for this one..............

Offline pelty

« Reply #4328 on: June 10, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »
"And similarly, if being used as some sort of unofficial mouthpiece to speak up for the gutless board of Aston Villa keeps you happy Pelty, then more power to you."

Well, when I see statements such as yours made about people that I know and respect and know are trying to do the right thing by the club to the best of their abilities (yet, as humans, they are inevitably flawed and susceptible to making mistakes), I am going to put my two cents in. Sorry if that affects your delicate sensibilities.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4329 on: June 10, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »

Sorry to disappoint you Pelty, but I couldn't afford the drop in salary, now would I wish to sully my CV by working for such a bunch of amateurs.  Anyway, can I ask in what capacity you're giving out information now?  It'd probably be better if the club were just open for a change rather than using a non exec-director's son to leak things on the sly. The last time you and the General acted in concert, Martin O'Neill ended up leaving.  You should be more careful.

Be that as it may, it does nothing to negate the fact that you know not a whit of what you speak yet seem to feel it that by being some sort of iconoclast, you are "sticking it to the man." Whatever gets your rocks off, Risso.

And similarly, if being used as some sort of unofficial mouthpiece to speak up for the gutless board of Aston Villa keeps you happy Pelty, then more power to you.

Out of order mate.

Bugger off Maz, I'm not being spoken to like that by someone who knows fuck all about English football, and is only wheeled out when the board are taking a bit of stick.  This is an independent supporters site where free speech is the order of the day, and I'm not going to wind my neck in case I upset somebody like Pelty. 

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4330 on: June 10, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »
Pelty, regardless of your standpoint on all this, do you think it's clever to be getting involved in these arguments and risking it all ending up in the media?

good point paulie.

I happen to agree with what Pelty is saying, but there's no point this getting out of hand and doing far more damage than good.

Offline pelty

« Reply #4331 on: June 10, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »

Fair enough, paulie. I have said what I have to say, I guess. My issue is more with the alleged "lack of ambition" and mean-spirited statements about Randy, so I have said my piece.

Offline eastie

« Reply #4332 on: June 10, 2011, 05:16:40 PM »
pelty and risso, remember we are on the same side and just want whats  best for aston villa- have we interviewed anyone at all pelty or have we any arranged?

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4333 on: June 10, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »
I admire Villa for trying to do things the right way.  But the club needs to come out swinging in the next day or so.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4334 on: June 10, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »

Fair enough, paulie. I have said what I have to say, I guess. My issue is more with the alleged "lack of ambition"

Perhaps you'd be good enough to point out where I said that?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal