collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Young days away from joining Man.Utd  (Read 41496 times)

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
Re: Young days away from joining Man.Utd
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
Does anyone know if, Young and Downing end up stopping do they stop on their old contract deal or will we offer new deals to the two treacherous gits.
My guess is that we'd offer them new contracts if only to maintain their value if and when they go. Whether they choose to accept a new contract is down to their agents them

Offline mazrimsbruv

« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2011, 04:36:45 PM »
they said nothing of any interest...

young spoke about being focused on the england game... he refused to talk about contract negotiations, said he had heard nothing about houllier situation, they asked him about fifa and he refused to talk about that, and then they asked him about paul scholes retiring... to which i drifted off into a coma...

downing spoke about being focused on the england game and he enjoyed the formation... said that houllier being here or not did not affect his future plans, and then said something about paul scholes retiring... to which i drifted of back into a coma...

I think Downing's comments were significant.

The actual quote was: "I have enjoyed working with Martin O'Neill, Kevin McDonald, Gary McAllister and Gerard Houllier so it doesn't influence my decision at all if he stays or goes."

Why is he talking about working with Houllier in the past tense? Either because

1) He's decided he wants to leave no matter what (of course that doesn't mean we'll let him).
2) He knows GH is going but is not allowed to say.

Either way how can he say it doesn't influence his decision when he probably doesn't know who the incoming manager would be?

Maybe I'm being negative but I read this as: "I'm leaving the club no matter what happens." which is a baffling statement for him to make, unless he does know who's coming in as manager, and doesn't want to play for him.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »
Or he's a moderately educated footballer asked a question in an interview and we shouldn't try and disect the nuances ov every sentence.

I think he's unsurprisingly keeping his options open, which is what most players in his position would do

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »
Or it could mean, I've worked with four different managers in the last 10 months so I could probably work with another one if I had to.

Offline holtepaul

« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2011, 05:49:56 PM »
Regarding them both.

Whether they want to go or not - if, and it is a whopping great IF , we get Ancelotti - you watch them change their minds !.

This is why this is such a major decision, not just for keeping players, but for attracting.

Put it this way, we are talking about needing a midfielder - Chelsea are talking about letting Essien and lampard go - if Ancelotti comes, so can they - and do you think Young and Downing will want to go then ?

Offline villa1

« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
they said nothing of any interest...

young spoke about being focused on the england game... he refused to talk about contract negotiations, said he had heard nothing about houllier situation, they asked him about fifa and he refused to talk about that, and then they asked him about paul scholes retiring... to which i drifted off into a coma...

downing spoke about being focused on the england game and he enjoyed the formation... said that houllier being here or not did not affect his future plans, and then said something about paul scholes retiring... to which i drifted of back into a coma...

I think Downing's comments were significant.

The actual quote was: "I have enjoyed working with Martin O'Neill, Kevin McDonald, Gary McAllister and Gerard Houllier so it doesn't influence my decision at all if he stays or goes."

Why is he talking about working with Houllier in the past tense? Either because

1) He's decided he wants to leave no matter what (of course that doesn't mean we'll let him).
2) He knows GH is going but is not allowed to say.

Either way how can he say it doesn't influence his decision when he probably doesn't know who the incoming manager would be?

Maybe I'm being negative but I read this as: "I'm leaving the club no matter what happens." which is a baffling statement for him to make, unless he does know who's coming in as manager, and doesn't want to play for him.

3) You're reading too much into it?

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
How many days? This thread's been live for days already. Can we keep speculation in the speculation thread? All this supposed excitement could be the death of me!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal