collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 26th May  (Read 12132 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: 26th May
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 06:11:42 PM »
Happy Rotterdam Day, Villa fans. St. Peter sends his best wishes.

Offline Sam Smith

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »
Bastards! I was only 5 but remember my family getting smashed watching it and being bewildered at their reaction when we scored. My biggest regret about the Villa is that having been home and away all my life I missed the boat on our finest hour.

Sorry to be negative, I love it when my mates dad tells us about it. No matter what happens we were once Champions of Europe!!

UTV!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »
By my reckoning it was a 7.30 ko, 10 mins half time and Withey scored in the 67th min. Should we all sound our horns then raise a glass at 8.47 and again at 9.10? (skip the raising a glass if you are actually driving)

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »
Bastards! I was only 5 but remember my family getting smashed watching it and being bewildered at their reaction when we scored. My biggest regret about the Villa is that having been home and away all my life I missed the boat on our finest hour.

Join the bloody club!  I was 4 and can't remember a thing - so frustrating.

Offline Sam Smith

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 06:23:05 PM »
Be positive!

Join the bloody club!  I was 4 and can't remember a thing - so frustrating.

We can but hope!

Offline Legion

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 06:34:30 PM »

Offline Legion

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 07:53:45 PM »
I went to Rotterdam with the official travellers club. It was a fantastic three days and I'll never forget it - gorgeous weather, a Roy of the Rovers performance from Nigel Spink, a beautifully constructed goal to win it,  the moment of elation when the final whistle went, the hotel where we were staying running out of beer when the coaches returned to Amsterdam, and the joyous coach and ferry ride back to Blighty.
My only regret was missing the civic reception in Birmingham. I think we were still travelling back.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 08:05:51 PM »
Just realised the date.

29 years, still at least it was a proper champions trophy and we could claim to be the champions of Europe having won our league the previous season and beaten the champions of other leagues in order to win it.

Modern football is rubbish.

yeah and if it was still one team  , probably players like Downing would not be wanting to fook off to play CL , they wouldnt have a chance..   2nd , 3rd and 4th is a joke.. 

I was there as a 15 year old with my dad and grandad  and thought there were going to be plenty more of them...

Online BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 08:15:32 PM »
Went with the Travellers Club, as that was the only way to get a ticket after the trouble at the semi-final away leg. After the match we went back to the coach, announced to the steward that we would not be returning with them, and went celebrating until the early hours at the bars in Rotterdam. I along with five mates and about fifty others, slept on the grass outside Rotterdam station (luckily it was a warm night); I was draped in my 'Aston Villa' Union Jack and we were overlooked by police the whole night. We then caught the first train to Amsterdam the next morning and continued our celebrations there until the Saturday, when we came back to England via the Hook / Harwich. 

Those were the days!

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 08:17:08 PM »
I watched on the tele whilst our 2 very young children were in bed. When the Villa scored I went crazy, dancing around the room. I was so nervous I stood outside watching the rest of the match through the window. When they scored my heart sank I turned away. When I returned to the window the game seemed to have kicked off again. However at the final whistle, I couldn't understand why the Villa fans were going crazy. I ran inside to realize their goal had been disallowed and we had won the cup. I fell to my knees in front of the TV, remembering those dark days in the 60's including the shame of the 3rd Division. My son was born later that year and yes, both of us are season ticket holders.

And yes, I still believe we can do it again!   :)

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
I watched on the tele whilst our 2 very young children were in bed. When the Villa scored I went crazy, dancing around the room. I was so nervous I stood outside watching the rest of the match through the window. When they scored my heart sank I turned away. When I returned to the window the game seemed to have kicked off again. However at the final whistle, I couldn't understand why the Villa fans were going crazy. I ran inside to realize their goal had been disallowed and we had won the cup. I fell to my knees in front of the TV, remembering those dark days in the 60's including the shame of the 3rd Division. My son was born later that year and yes, both of us are season ticket holders.

And yes, I still believe we can do it again!   :)

Great story, I was 7 and my oldest sister 14 so my Dad has to stay home and look after us otherwise I am sure he would have gone. I remember the goal and not much else but my sisters took all our Villa scarves to school next day except for an Andy Gray one. Anyway Wonderful memories and it'd be great to be back there one day. Happy Rotterdam Day folks!

Offline K3Villa

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »
Has anyone seen the Facebook link to the celebratory wallpaper? Massive clanger!

Offline gervilla

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »
Has anyone seen the Facebook link to the celebratory wallpaper? Massive clanger!

26 years ?  Oopsie.

Offline K3Villa

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »

26 years ?  Oopsie.

Oopsie indeed!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal