collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: SSN: "Downing won't commit to Villa"  (Read 255101 times)

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: SSN: "Downing won't commit to Villa"
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
Been tapped up by the Redscouse obviously IMO. Shame but that is modern football.
That's what I reckon too, he's been gotten to by King Kenny or Candlehead Rednapp. Ah well, going to be another tough drawn out summer of loosing our best and hoping the young guys come through. Barry, Milner, Young, Downing.....we are becoming a good club for blooding players for the so called "next level".

He's got 2 years left on his contract, we don't have to sell him. If we do, and I don't think we will, it will be because we put money ahead of football.
Or, we decide that if he can't commit to our club he can fuck off !!

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
He hasn't banked on Randy. If Randy sells Ash, he just won't sell Downing, I'm still confident of that.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »
There's a pattern developing here with all our best players of late. 

Leave middling club and join Villa.
Do nothing special at Villa but still get played.
Develop at Villa and get noticed by England.
Get established with England.
Make references taken from the highway code.
Talk about Champions League and your age.
Warm a bench somewhere in the North West.

Offline eastie

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »
i expect hes aware of liverpools reported interested and has had his head turned, with the extra yr on his contract id be looking for at least £18m for him , but once a player makes these kind of noises its likely he will go.

Id rather have players who want to be here than with one eye on the door and unhappy players can cause unrest, we dont need to sell so he would demand a good transfer sum if we decide to let him leave.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:00:24 AM by eastie »

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »
There's a pattern developing here with all our best players of late. 

Leave middling club and join Villa.
Do nothing special at Villa but still get played.
Develop at Villa and get noticed by England.
Get established with England.
Make references taken from the highway code.
Talk about Champions League and your age.
Warm a bench somewhere in the North West.

I blame the player's accountants. There's probably a whole Pension Plan based on doing 2 years with Villa and then making enough to retire

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 11:02:38 AM »
This stuff about players having their heads turned is a bit wishy washy if you ask me - mainly becauase they don't need their heads turning - that implies some about turn in the way they view things, as if they were perfectly happy to be here forever until someone pointed out to them that clubs like Man City and United win trophies and play in the CL.

The fact is that they all want to play at the highest level, and if they can't do it here, they'll do it elsewhere. Until we can provide at the very least evidence of establishing our credentials in the league (being "in amongst it") this will always happen.

What I don't understand - and I've only read it on this thread, so maybe it is incorrect - is why we give players like Downing and Young four year rather than five year contracts, as it makes that awkward "two years left" mment happen sooner than you'd like.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
A selling club.......like manu, Ronoldo, Teves etc

Offline eastie

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »
To be honest theres not many players who given the chance to join liverpool from villa wouldnt want to go, sadly it seemsd a trend that we are having our better players picked off one by one and i agree that until we can acquire champions league football it is likely to happen again and again.

Its not so much as a selling club but if players express a desire to play elsewhere what choice really do we have? we saw what happened with dwight yorke after we refused his request- if a player wants to go then he is best out of it , we need players totally committed to aston villa.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:07:48 AM by eastie »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 11:09:32 AM »
What I don't understand - and I've only read it on this thread, so maybe it is incorrect - is why we give players like Downing and Young four year rather than five year contracts, as it makes that awkward "two years left" mment happen sooner than you'd like.

Agreed, Paulie. I always thought is was good business sense that we had an additional 'one year option' on contracts. I can only guess that agents are against it now.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
Yet again we see a player who's ambition is not matched by his talent, yes he's had a decent season but Liverpool is the only club who would be interested, and lets face it they are a long way off the likes of United, Chelski, Arsenal and Man City so European football is not likely for them in the forseeable future. Put a 20 million tag on him and Young and see how many takers there are, if they are regarded as being that good they will be snapped up.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
All this further supports the need to build from our youth set up.  Get the players engrained in the club.  That way you will get more loyalty, not complete loyalty but certainly more. 

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2011, 11:20:10 AM »
Can't see him going this summer with Ash off. So a new manager, a show of intent in the transfer market followed by a stonking season should seem him right...who know's maybe this time next year we will be looking to improve upon him..

Offline Sam Smith

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »
If they go to a top club like Manu and are guaranteed CL football then fine but Spurs? Liverpool? It would really irritate me if we lost them to clubs like that. At least with Barry and Milner going to City you know they have enough money to (almost) guarantee success. If he goes to Liverpool I will despair!

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 11:22:28 AM »
I don't see what the issue is. He's under contract and like every ambitious international player in the PL he wants to play at the highest level. I hope he gets there with us. It's as much up to us as a club to help get him there as it is for him to be a part of that success. This year I hope is a one off, but if we don't figure out a way to stay competitive every season don't be surprise if we hear similar noises from Delph, Albrighton, Clark etc in years to come.

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »
Downing's form has been no more than acceptable this season for a supposed £12m player.

Whilst the trend is depressing and indicative of how it is virtually impossible for a club like Villa to slowly build a competative side, I still couldn't care less if I never saw Downing in a Villa shirt again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal