collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: SSN: "Downing won't commit to Villa"  (Read 255116 times)

Offline balloubaby

Re: SSN: "Downing won't commit to Villa"
« Reply #1095 on: July 12, 2011, 11:11:06 PM »
“For brilliance and, at the same time, for consistency of achievement, for activity in philanthropic enterprise, for astuteness of management and for general alertness, the superiors of Aston Villa cannot be found.”

Think we have a new 'philosophy football shirt' quote here?  I would buy one thats for sure.
Well said fella.

p.s. in recognition of the original thread, he can bugger off as far as im concerned...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:14:29 PM by balloubaby »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1096 on: July 12, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »
McGregor was always going to be biased though, lets be fair.  (And nowt wrong with that either.)

Who was that Arsenal forward from around the time of the mid 40's who said 'That's the problem with playing in Europe, all anyone wants to talk about is Aston Villa,' or words to that effect?

Online ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1097 on: July 12, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
I'm blushing!  The thing is, though, it's the truth.  We're far too modest about our club and we really need be proud of what we have achieved and use it as the basis for taking the club forward.  There's no club out there that can match our history or influence - regardless of what cockney/north west media folk spoon feed us.  I hope every young lad at Bodymoor learns all of this, appreciates all of this and realizes that this is THE club to build a career at and to win trophies at.  This club's natural station is second to none and there should be no greater thing in football than winning trophies in the original claret and blue shirt.

If any of these plastic, Johnny-come-lately clubs come sniffing around any of our youth players I hope they (the players) have been taught to reason, to think for themselves and to tell whoever it might be: why would I want to leave the greatest club in football?
Sorry to shit in the punchbowl but this is still just an arbitrary claim to greatness, isn't it?

It is, of course, a claim you're perfectly entitled to. As are supporters of other clubs with their equally arbitrary claims.

Well quite clearly no Redman. You have what you have, we have this, which is the truth, and only we have it. Essentially, you would not have yours unless we did what we did, or a least it may look different to the way it does. So be grateful, and respectful of our rather large piece of the history of football.
I am grateful and respectful but let's keep it in perspective. Nobody involved with Aston Villa built what they did so supporters could use it to score points by making arbitrary claims to greatness on their behalf a century later.

It is hardly scoring points, your mate came on and was ignorant to our history, belittled us essentially without doing so blatantly and thus people have rightly jumped to defend the history of the club. If anyone involved with Villa at the time could have imagined what football would become over a century later, I dare say they may not have bothered!

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #1098 on: July 12, 2011, 11:19:56 PM »
How does Shanks measure up against this fellow Scot?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Ramsay

What a man!

Wonder if SD knows about him?

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #1099 on: July 12, 2011, 11:42:30 PM »
Ted Drake was the Arsenal forward..

Offline Redman

« Reply #1100 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:21 PM »
I'm blushing!  The thing is, though, it's the truth.  We're far too modest about our club and we really need be proud of what we have achieved and use it as the basis for taking the club forward.  There's no club out there that can match our history or influence - regardless of what cockney/north west media folk spoon feed us.  I hope every young lad at Bodymoor learns all of this, appreciates all of this and realizes that this is THE club to build a career at and to win trophies at.  This club's natural station is second to none and there should be no greater thing in football than winning trophies in the original claret and blue shirt.

If any of these plastic, Johnny-come-lately clubs come sniffing around any of our youth players I hope they (the players) have been taught to reason, to think for themselves and to tell whoever it might be: why would I want to leave the greatest club in football?
Sorry to shit in the punchbowl but this is still just an arbitrary claim to greatness, isn't it?

It is, of course, a claim you're perfectly entitled to. As are supporters of other clubs with their equally arbitrary claims.

Well quite clearly no Redman. You have what you have, we have this, which is the truth, and only we have it. Essentially, you would not have yours unless we did what we did, or a least it may look different to the way it does. So be grateful, and respectful of our rather large piece of the history of football.
I am grateful and respectful but let's keep it in perspective. Nobody involved with Aston Villa built what they did so supporters could use it to score points by making arbitrary claims to greatness on their behalf a century later.

It is hardly scoring points, your mate came on and was ignorant to our history, belittled us essentially without doing so blatantly and thus people have rightly jumped to defend the history of the club. If anyone involved with Villa at the time could have imagined what football would become over a century later, I dare say they may not have bothered!
That's fair enough but your man Billy Walker has been banging his "Villa are the greatest" drum for a while, as he should. But for it to mean anything, we're going to have to agree on a definition of greatness.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1101 on: July 13, 2011, 12:32:26 AM »
Aren't you lot bored of this yet. It's a subjective argument that you'll never agree on (possibly) because you're likely to favour the criteria that backs the team you support.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #1102 on: July 13, 2011, 08:21:57 AM »
You know you're a great club when fans of other clubs come over to your forums to talk to and about you.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #1103 on: July 13, 2011, 08:58:48 AM »
sportinglife.com

McLeish 'Downing must keep the right attitude.'

Alex McLeish expects Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing to maintain the right attitude and professionalism if his hopes of a move to Liverpool fail to materialise.

Villa have rejected bids of £12million and £15million from the Reds for Downing and McLeish wants the England international to remain at the midlands club.

McLeish says he overcame failing to secure a move to Manchester United as a player and would expect the same response from Downing if he is still at Villa next season.

He said: "I've spoken to Stewart, I've told him I don't want to sell him.

"There's an obvious distraction there for him but he's been a credit to himself and applied himself in the right way and worked his socks off in training. I don't see a problem professionally.

"Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign me for Manchester United when I was at Aberdeen and that wasn't possible in the end.

"That was a big disappointment but I got my head down and worked and I don't doubt Stewart has the character to get through this is he stays at the club.

"It's part of your growing up as a footballer."

Villa will demand £19-20million if it becomes apparent they cannot retain Downing, who has two years remaining of his current contract.

McLeish is optimistic of signing a new keeper to replace Brad Friedel in the near future with Shay Given expected to complete a £3.5 million move from Manchester City.

He said: "We certainly need a keeper and we are making progress. We would like it to happen a bit quicker but we are moving forward."

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1104 on: July 13, 2011, 09:00:19 AM »
I can't see any point in letting this continue as it's just a tit for tat between Villa and Liverpool fans, who might find themselves less than welcome if they don't wind their necks in a bit.

Somebody start a new Downing thread when there's something worthwhile to report please.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal