collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nigel Reo Coker and his limitations/attributes  (Read 24304 times)

Offline Sam Smith

He has just enjoyed his best spell for the club and brought stability to a side on a dramatic slide to relegation so fair play to him.

The big issue is wages. How much will he want? He will look around the dressing room and see everyone who he is on a par with (ability wise)? and want 50k plus. He isnt worth that and we have adequate players who can play to a similar standard who will be on far less.

Thanks for you commitment to a club who have often overlooked you but this is an easy saving on the wage bill for me.

Good Luck!

I reckon he will be a Wolves player next season! (Purely speculation)

Offline Rick_avfc

I personally think we can find someone to do the same, if not better, job as NRC.  I dont think he is worth the money he is probably asking for - circa £50k+ a week.
Im sure GH, if he is still in charge, could find someone abroad who will do a better job.  Saying that, I would miss NRC if he went as he has played well this season when others have been fairly poor.

Offline barrysleftfoot

If he wants £30k per week then fair enough........not a good enough footballer for us to pay above that tbh.

Offline luke25

He's had a decent season, I do think he's off though, maybe Bolton or Sunderland, would'nt mind keeping him though.

Offline Merv

Reo Coker has had a decent season. I agree. But he lacks technical ability. Aerial dominance and the ability to make "killer" passes on a regular basis. He also lacks any pace to go round a player which is crucial in the middle of the park. None of the top six sides or even the top ten would have him in there side so why do some fans think he should stay ?

That's the crux of the problem when evaluating Reo-Coker. Despite what he was saying the other day (that he used to be a box-to-box attacking player) he's best in a more defensive role, winning the ball, closing down, etc. You can't expect that and killer passes, beating players for pace - I've seen some criticism levelled at him that he doesn't score many goals. He doesn't. Of course he doesn't. If he was great at everything, he'd be Steve Gerrard.

Is he good at what he does? Yes. Has he had a good season? Yes. Will it cost us good money to sign a similar player to replace him? Yes.

Offline Kingthing

I'll be gutted if Coker leaves.Always puts a shift in

Very much agreed. I like him, he plays like a fan would, goes in for every challege with 100% commitment and shows passion.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
if he does go, it will be interesting as to the quality of clubs that come in for him,

QPR or Reading (if the latter make the cut) are possible / probable. Perhaps Sunderland or Newcastle (particularly if Barton leaves the latter).
Like people say of AY, we probably won't appreciate his graft until he's gone.
Given the way he was fannied about by MON, I think he's given us good service this season.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Surely the likes of Sunderland,Newcastle,Wolves suggested wouldn't be able to pay what we could.Bent was on 30k at Sunderland apparently

Offline Rick_avfc

Surely the likes of Sunderland,Newcastle,Wolves suggested wouldn't be able to pay what we could.Bent was on 30k at Sunderland apparently

Apologies for going off topic but I cannot for the life of me, understand why MON didn't go for DB when he was £10m (correct me if the price i have quoted is wrong), especially if he was only on circa £30k pw!!  We could have matched that easily and could have either won a cup with his fire power or possibly got into the top 4? 

Anyway, back to the topic of NRC.....

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
He could easily fit into Man U's midfield, as could any half decent midfielder.

He's certainly a better player than Nicky Butt ever was.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Why does he need to make killer passes? His job is to win the ball, link up play and give it to a claret and blue shirt - something he has done increasingly impressively as the season has gone on because this manager believes in him.

I would hope Delph would be able play that role more impressively over time but he is not ready yet. In the meantime, I would certainly want Reo-Coker to stay.
Why does he need to make a killer pass ? His role is supposed to be versatile. He is a professional footballer. And we have one of the most prolific scorers in the prem waiting to recieve the pass. And his link up play is part of that. Bent has got a claret and blue shirt on .......

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
I'll be gutted if Coker leaves.Always puts a shift in

Very much agreed. I like him, he plays like a fan would
He certainly tends to pass and shoot like someone who's just won a competition to play central midfield.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
We dont have anyone else who can do what he does,i agree that his passing is poor,but he was never bought to spray out passes like Sid,his job is to hassle,tackle and pass 10 -20 yards to someone who can create something. I like the fact that he's vocal and a bit of a leader,something we've lacked since Laursen retired.

But if he's looking at a 10-15 grand a week pay rise,then he can go fcuk himself,he won't get the chance to play at a club like ours again.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
He comes in for a lot of unwarranted stick, but if we could get better in I wouldn't be distraught to see him depart.

He's very good at making a nuisance of himself and disrupting the opposition, and he also has decent strength and a good turn of pace.  But if we could get all that and someone a bit more competent on the ball, it should be a case of 'thanks for the effort and goodbye.'

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
With a certain remit (get the ball off those guys, give it to one of our guys who is standing very near to you), he's a real asset, and plays a very useful role very effectively.

I hope he stays.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal