collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Brian of Littlehampton  (Read 12144 times)

Offline Pete

Re: Sir Brian of Littlehampton
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 11:30:51 PM »
What Coops said. The best I have ever seen. Nobody since has come anywhere near. 

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 12:57:19 PM »
Little, Gray and Keys - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!

The God, the Sad and the Hairy

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 12:58:07 PM »
If he had bought his first choice partner for Dwight - Andy Cole, and not Collymore, he may still be manager.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »
Little, Gray and Keys - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!

The God, the Sad and the Hairy

Very good.

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 01:20:14 PM »
simply the greatest natural talent of his era in my humble opinion. His one cap simply sums up how biased to the 'big clubs' they were in those days and indeed today.

Not strictly true, I think Revie would have kept Little in the England squad if his form hadn't totally evaporated  at the start of  75/76 prior to his injury at Everton at  the start of October.

I'd agree that he was wrongly overlooked during his 26 goal season in 76/77, but even then he didn't totally recapture  the almost unstoppable form of January to May 75 when he was definitely the best inside forward in the country.

From 77/78 onwards  Brian did nothing for his cause principally due to his very poor scoring record.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 03:40:12 PM »
simply the greatest natural talent of his era in my humble opinion. His one cap simply sums up how biased to the 'big clubs' they were in those days and indeed today.

Not strictly true, I think Revie would have kept Little in the England squad if his form hadn't totally evaporated  at the start of  75/76 prior to his injury at Everton at  the start of October.

I'd agree that he was wrongly overlooked during his 26 goal season in 76/77, but even then he didn't totally recapture  the almost unstoppable form of January to May 75 when he was definitely the best inside forward in the country.

From 77/78 onwards  Brian did nothing for his cause principally due to his very poor scoring record.

Totally agree with you.
Actually Little and Leonard ripped the Second division to shreds that season, but Brian, although hugely talented, would be the first to agree he didn't live up to his undoubted potential.
He used to glide past players with effortless ease, but the passages of time do leave us all a bit misty-eyed sometimes and I can still remember how frustrated I used to get with Brian missing one-on-ones...which he used to do a lot !
But when he was hot, he was hot, encapsulated in that season in 74-75, when he scored 10 of his 23 goals in his last 6 games, and Leonard 5.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 03:46:13 PM »
Sir Brian Little, my favourite goal of his about 10 secs in.  :)

UTV
The Doc

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »
My dad first went to Villa Park in the 1930s and said no player gave him more pleasure to watch than Brian Little, notwithstanding the imperfections.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
Those who saw the 5-1 demolition of Liverpool in December, 76 were privileged to witness a sublime display of skill from Brian. 

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 08:31:22 AM »

UTV
The Doc

I was at that game. The overhead kick at the Holte End stands out, but his second goal was sublime. The defender he made a complete mug of (Mike Doyle of Man City) with his footwork was an England centre half at the time.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 08:44:23 AM »

UTV
The Doc

I was at that game. The overhead kick at the Holte End stands out, but his second goal was sublime. The defender he made a complete mug of (Mike Doyle of Man City) with his footwork was an England centre half at the time.

BDE I was only a very impressionable 13 year old at that match and as a kid I was attempting that over head kick in Stetchford Park the very next chance I got !!
I sadly missed the oppotunity to meet the great man when he was here in Cambridge with Wrexham for a match.

UTV
The Doc

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 10:11:08 AM »
Andy Gray just said he's on around 12, so we have a little time to wait.
One of his best Villa displays for me was the promotion night at Hillsborough, when Brian and Leonard ripped Sheffield Wednesday to shreds in that great 4-0 win...Brian's second goal, when he volleyed in Chico's cross, always sticks in my memory and the scenes on the pitch afterwards are an unforgettable memory.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 11:39:07 AM »
My favourite display of Brian Little was the hatrick he scored against QPR at Villa Park in the semi final of the Leagure cup, i think in 77.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 12:13:06 PM »
giddy was a naughty boy ;-)

Offline Oscar Arce

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 12:20:48 PM »
Great to hear Brian's voice again.
Early highlights of the interview:
Loved Villa the first time he set foot in Villa Park
Digs with Roy Stark
Homesick and nearly went home after 6 months
Ran away on the bus because he wouldn't have his hair cut!
Problems with Saunders
Gidman texted while on air !
Praise for Andy Lochead/Keith Leonard
Fantastic.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal