collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: End of Season Report  (Read 20847 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: End of Season Report
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
I think we've seen an averaging out of the league this season, so the points were shared more evenly and the gap between top and bottom condenses.  However, I don't think it'll be repeated as Man Utd and the other top teams didn't spend too heavily last summer and that's unlikely to be repeated, especially with Man City shaking them up a bit.  Other top half teams such as us, Everton and Spurs had worse seasons also, so the points we dropped went mainly to the lower half clubs who were beating us.

Basically, the top got poorer more than the bottom got better, so the points dropped had to be picked up by someone. 

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
The rest of the top 8 dropped between 5 and 8 points, except for Man City who improved 4 and Chelsea who dropped 15 points and sacked their manager.

I’ve no idea if there’s any substance in it but I read that it is usual for the top teams to show a certain level of decline in the season following a World Cup.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »
With one caretaker manager in charge for the first handful of games and another in charge for the last handful and a big injury crisis in the middle of all that, 9th was a decent finish. But I didn't think GH was the right man for the job when he was appointed and after his delayed arrival, Anfield, Man City in the cup and his recent health problems I think it's best if we get a new manager. Hopefully very shortly after the end of a season, not very shortly before the start of a new one.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2011, 02:37:08 PM »
At the end of the day I don't really think it is sensible to argue anything other than this season being poor and a big disappointment. It's felt more like three seasons than one to me.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2011, 02:02:59 PM »
Following the news that Fulham have been granted a Europa League place through the fair play league, it's interesting to analyse the red & yellow cards for the season. 

Villa were good on red cards, with the 2 for Heskey & Makoun, but collected the third highest total of yellow cards. Ciaran Clark was our 'worst sinner' with 9.

And I'd avoid Cattermole & Tiote, if you see them on a night out in the Big Market.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/PremierLeagueDiscipline2010-11.html

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2011, 02:11:55 PM »
Warnock was on 8 yellows and played what?  half a season?  He was a liability, a good job we did something about that.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2011, 02:19:42 PM »
I think we've seen an averaging out of the league this season, so the points were shared more evenly and the gap between top and bottom condenses.  However, I don't think it'll be repeated as Man Utd and the other top teams didn't spend too heavily last summer and that's unlikely to be repeated, especially with Man City shaking them up a bit.  Other top half teams such as us, Everton and Spurs had worse seasons also, so the points we dropped went mainly to the lower half clubs who were beating us.

Basically, the top got poorer more than the bottom got better, so the points dropped had to be picked up by someone. 

If we look at the last five seasons and how many points we finished behind the champions, it looks like this:

2010/11   -32
2009/10   -22
2008/09   -28
2007/08   -27
2006/07   -39

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Dear Lord

Why do folk get so upset?

Having read the many responses to my simple 'opinion' piece post about us as fans and our attitudes...
I see that D Bent is not as good as J Carew - and most of my points are inaccurate or muddle-headed...
GH is not as good as MON. Yet GH is far better than MON. 

What is clear is that this interweb malarky promotes contrary m'f**kers who will argue about anything.

I see the B'ham Mail has another scoop - a poll of mooks wandering around the Fort retail park reveals David Moyes as the fans choice for manager.

So I'll ask another question.

Why would anyone with talent want come to a club where some fans are so fickle?

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »
AVFC end of year report......... Worked well when cornered like a rat after initially failing to achieve the abysmal standards they set themselves.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2011, 06:59:35 PM »
Dear Lord

Why do folk get so upset?

Having read the many responses to my simple 'opinion' piece post about us as fans and our attitudes...
I see that D Bent is not as good as J Carew - and most of my points are inaccurate or muddle-headed...
GH is not as good as MON. Yet GH is far better than MON. 

What is clear is that this interweb malarky promotes contrary m'f**kers who will argue about anything.

I see the B'ham Mail has another scoop - a poll of mooks wandering around the Fort retail park reveals David Moyes as the fans choice for manager.

So I'll ask another question.

Why would anyone with talent want come to a club where some fans are so fickle?

At any football clubs the fans do not share one opinion. If you tried to form a consensus you would fail. And for fucks sake the fans at every fucking football club in the land are fickle. It is a fashionable insult for the hard of thinking now because of some cocknose who used to manage us. He was wrong in many of his ideas about football and he was wrong to say that it was a condition unique to Villa supporters. However, because of that cocknose who used to manage us it has, for some strange reason, an insult du jour for people who think they are being clever when in fact they are being irritating. It wasn't big or clever the first time someone said and it is even less clever now.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2011, 08:22:48 PM »
Oh dear - all that Houllier out stuff seems to have done the trick - and our new messiah is ...

Alec McBleedingLeish.

Still - as he is a man I would never have chosen - I think I'll have a bet on a Cup win and a top seven finish.  As God knows - with the last two incumbents I got all excited and was dreaming of glory only for the dream to become a nightmare based in a world of rejection, relegation anxiety, and poo.

No money - no ambition - no future?  This is more like it.  Come on Villa - do it again - prove the world wrong.

UTV

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal