collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: End of Season Report  (Read 20851 times)

Offline sonlyme

End of Season Report
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:23:40 PM »
So there it is.

A season that began with the desertion of one mananger, then stumbled through the chaos of another two, with players going off the boil and relegation looming large around B6,  ends with Villa finishing well inside the top half on 48 points.

Looking back - ninth in the premiership is no mean feat given the season we have had.  And although it has been hard going it has told us something - but not about the team - or about the owner - or about the manager and the coaches.  It has told us something about ourselves.

Far too many of us are quick to jump on the team's back during the hard times.  The shameful antics of some may have got them in the paper but they weren't helping the club with their negative banners - they were helping themselves.  'Houllier Out' came the cry - blaming a man who had just arrived for the ageing and complacency of the club's senior pros.

It was asserted that Gerard Houllier was a fool who had 'lost the dressing room'.  Well thank God for Gerard say I - because it was Gerard who convinced the mighty Darren Bent to come to Villa Park - and what a difference his quality has made and will make.

The flames of discontent were fanned by a gleeful media - the Birmingham Mail displayed its usual lack of class with slanted sourceless sniping.  The Mail used to employ journalists - then again - it used to sell papers.

Once Gerard signed Bent and fell ill the attack changed - it was apparently Gary McAllister that was the problem,  not Gerard.  He was hated by the players said the 'insiders' and banner-painters.  GMac was 'destroying' the club with his petty rules and attitude they said.  Which is remarkable - as since April 16th we have lost only one game - the 2-1 defeat to Albion - another game which should have been a victory had we had a defence that could defend. 

Did anyone else notice resentment or lack of motivation at the Emirates against Arsenal?  Or against Liverpool on the last day?  I didn't.

What I did notice was a slowly gelling forward line that could become something special - something very special.  The control, passing, and movement of Villa's attacking unit was the best it has been in a long time.  At last we have a real centre-forward - and if we can match that with a defence of a similar quality - then the future is bright indeed.

So I hope we can keep our heads as Villa fans and see the change that is taking place.  The tired old faces of O'Neill's regime will go - and newer fresher faces will replace them.   A new defensive unit and we can hold on to the good stuff our attack does.

GH and GMac have come ninth in the premier league in their first, not even full, season when even St Martin could only manage eleventh.   On the downside - Villa conceded 21 goals in the last 15 minutes of games - only Blackpool did worse than that - and most tellingly - Villa dropped 26 points from winning positions this season - more than any other club -  add 26 to 48 - take a look at the league table - and tell me - Houllier and McAllister out?    Maybe they are awful - maybe they haven't got a clue - but could we at least give them a full pre-season to see if our prejudices about them are correct?  Maybe even get behind the club and be positive?  Or is that asking too much?

UTV

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Re: End of Season Report
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »
Always gonna be a transitional season - I think we'd improve vastly if Gerard is given another year, but his health will likely mean otherwise. My only fear now is that due to said likely managerial changes next season will be another one of of these transitional stages.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:54:51 PM »
top post.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:13:24 PM »
Very good.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:13:47 PM »
Yes a great post, however there is so much that has been glossed over, the antics at Anfield the surrender at Eastlands and some diabolical decisions regarding selection and substitutions.
Forgive me please if i still have a difficulty embracing a new dawn with a bloke with that has a potentialy life threatening condition and a number 2 who thinks it is a good idea to introduce Pires to make the numbers up in relegation scrap, and says we will start working on the defence in pre-season. IF RL decides to stick with the current regime and backs them through the summer then so be it. It wont change the fact that I support Aston Villa.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »
And off we go again...

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:16:16 AM »
Good post I also think that if GH does come back then we have a chance of doing something special next season.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
the 2-1 defeat to Albion - another game which should have been a victory had we had a defence that could defend. 

I notice you steer clear of any speculation as to why they couldn't defend.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
Some good points in the post, but also some I strongly disagree with.

Firstly, I never quite get this idea that the points we dropped in the last 15 minutes means they're better then we look?  No, it actually adds to the negative of losing those points by an inability to hold a lead.  OK, if we can solve that issue then we'll improve, but then that's just basically saying that if we get better we'll climb up the league.     

Comparisons to the previous manager's first season are also false as it's two totally different squads.  In 2005/2006 we finished 16th and climbed to 11th, this season we've gone from 6th to 9th.  Yes, injuries have had a bearing, but to lets look at it in the correct context. 

My biggest fear is the need to change the manager once again leaves us with a 'transitional season'.  However, I think we might have to accept that.

Offline jonc73

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:54:32 AM »
I just hope there is a quick decision-I'll get behind whatever that decision is. Gerrard made a lot of his own problems- and I never want to see a repeat of Man CIty again.I much prefer his transfer methods to those of O'Neills though.I want to see a strong Villa team giving it's all on all fronts.Gary Mac has had some unfair beatings on here-we don't actually know how he performs as a coach

Offline TonyD

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 10:12:58 AM »
Dreadful season tempered by the signing of Bent (thank you GH and shut the door on your way out) and the Blues going down.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 10:15:38 AM »
Dreadful season SAVED by the signing of Bent (thank you GH and shut the door on your way out) and the Blues going down.

There - fixed it for you!

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
I just hope there is a quick decision-I'll get behind whatever that decision is. Gerrard made a lot of his own problems- and I never want to see a repeat of Man CIty again.I much prefer his transfer methods to those of O'Neills though.I want to see a strong Villa team giving it's all on all fronts.Gary Mac has had some unfair beatings on here-we don't actually know how he performs as a coach

have to admit i wasn't happy with GMac in charge. nothing logical about why i thought that way, just a gut feeling. He's done ok in my book, better than i expected but being a great coach doesn't make you a great manager or vice-versa. There's loads of coaches who have been credited with playing key roles in a clubs success but failing miserably once they get the top job.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 10:22:38 AM »
The shameful antics of some may have got them in the paper but they weren't helping the club with their negative banners

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmmm did you mention the shameful antics of GH at Eastlands?

or his Anfield Love in?

Bizarre subsitutions?

Playing players out of position?

Signing a 37 year old cripple and having him chauffer driven up from London everyday whilst sending BB on loan?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 10:24:38 AM »
Dreadful season SAVED by the signing of Bent (thank you GH and shut the door on your way out) and the Blues going down.

There - fixed it for you!

No I dont think SAVED is correct.    Just cast your mind back to some of the games and decisions made this season,  truly lamentable.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal