collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Medical test results key to Houllier future, say Villa  (Read 8090 times)

Offline eastie

Medical test results key to Houllier future, say Villa
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:17:50 PM »
Aston Villa will await the results of medical tests before deciding on the future of manager Gerard Houllier, Press Association Sport understands.

The midlands club do not expect to make any announcement until early next week as Houllier recuperates after his recent heart problem.

Sources close to Villa have indicated the outcome of the tests will be "the driving force" behind what is the next step to take.

There have been conflicting weekend reports over Houllier's future.

ne suggested the 63-year-old would be relieved of his duties and another indicated his return would be rubber-stamped by club owner Randy Lerner.

But the source insisted it is "neither of those" and that the medical tests will be the key.

Caretaker boss Gary McAllister continues to be in an upbeat mood over Houllier's future.

He said: "Gerard is very good. He is in fine form. We are seeing more and more of him. He is up and about.

"We have had lunch, we've been for dinner. He's not driving or anything like that. He's obviously got a driver.

"But every indication, and all the things he is saying to me and other members of staff, is that he wants to be back here and he wants to be back in full-time work.

"He is just preparing for July 7 when we come back for pre-season training."

Meanwhile a Premier League managers' arbitration tribunal is continuing this week to consider the circumstances that led to Martin O'Neill's abrupt departure from Villa.

O'Neill enjoyed a successful four-year association with the club after taking over from David O'Leary in August 2006.

He led them to three successive top-six finishes in the Premier League and the 2010 Carling Cup final.

But the former Leicester and Celtic boss opted to leave just five days before the start of the campaign in August.

A League Managers' Association mediation panel failed to resolve the dispute between O'Neill and Villa at the tail-end of 2010.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Medical-test-results-key-to-Gerard-Houllier-future-say-Aston-Villa-article739958.html#ixzz1NAo91Fsi

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Medical test results key to Houllier future, say Villa
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »
If it's down to the medical results/opinion, then surely any self respecting doctor can not suggest a man with his medical history returns to such a high pressure job?

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
Firstly, it is great that GED appears to be on the mend.
But to me, there is some real conflict in what GMac is saying.

So, he is 'up and and about' and they have been for meals together.
But, he's not able to drive ? That smacks to me that it is unsafe for him to do so.
If he's unsafe to to drive, he cannot be 100% fit.
If he's not 100% fit, he needs to recover and take is easy.
He needs to retire.

But, I'm not a doctor.   

Offline eastie

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:29:46 PM »
I wonder how GED would react if randy suggested a move upstairs, would he reluctantly accept such an offer or want his contract paying in full and tell randy where to stick it?

Offline Summers

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »
In my opinion, he should stop. For his own sake. His body has taken enough. If it's that serious that test results will help decide, then that's too serious to continue. For himself, and more selfishly, for us.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »
I wonder how GED would react if randy suggested a move upstairs, would he reluctantly accept such an offer or want his contract paying in full and tell randy where to stick it?

Given he was doing a similar role with France, but then jacked that as he wanted to go back into front line management, I'm guessing not well.

However, if he accepts his body can't take front line management anymore he may see it as a good alternative.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »
When he joined he repeatedly told media and fans he'd has all the tests and was fitterr than when at Liverpool.
The guy didn't last a season before he was back in hospital.
Can no one see the pattern to this. Logically he is never going to be fit enough to fully manage at Prem level.
Sod the vested interests, sod the sympathy bloke, the last thing I want is the headlines and media coverage beause the bloke has another attack while in the dugout.
For his own good the guy needs to be told to go, there is no way his heart will get better, there is no way the pressure of running Villa will improve it either.
Please Gerard, take a rest.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:03 PM »
When he joined he repeatedly told media and fans he'd has all the tests and was fitterr than when at Liverpool.
Can no one see the pattern to this. Logically he is never going to be fit enough to fully manage at Prem level.
Sod the vested interests, sod the sympathy bloke, the last thing I want is the headlines and media coverage beause the bloke has another attack while in the dugout.
For his own good the guy needs to be told to go, there is no way his heart will get better, there is no way the pressure of running Villa will improve it either.

Spot on !

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:13:20 PM »

First time ever I agree 100% with one of your posts!

Offline eastie

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:17:30 PM »
Not much to disagree with there Malcolm!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:25 PM »
We really need to know if he will be back sooner rather than later so we can get a new manager in place for pre season as to avoid a repeat of last season debacle I have just listened to the radio and they have said that we will get a decision this week.

Online dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
Managing a premiership club will not get any less stressful in the coming years.
For your own health Gerard, you should call it a day.

Offline KidPoker

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 04:05:51 PM »
All the sounds are that he will return. Which is absolute madness considering what has happened. Big questions over Lerners integrity will be raised. The man cannot handle the pressure of top flight football and Villa is a stressful as any job.

What happens if he passes away whilst managing us? We would be absolutely annihilated in the media.

What about if we do as bad next year and people start calling for his head? They will make the fans out to be the villains in all this.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »
All the sounds are that he will return.

I think we need to distinguish between the likes of Gary Mac coming out with the company line and what is actually going to happen.  How many times do we see a club state a player isnl;t for sale and then flog him?  Or that a manager is safe and then sack him? 

The goal is to keep a steady ship until it's time to make the change and saying "We don't think he can continue" is not going to achieve that.  Personally, I expect a combination of his doctors and family will persuade him to call it a day. 

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
I would love a fit and healthy Houllier to stay, but, with his health I think it would be wrong for him to continue as manager.  I'd be very happy if he was kept on at the club in some kind of role, though.  He's a good man who knows the game inside out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal