collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The most valuable Villa goal ever.  (Read 9748 times)

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
Re: The most valuable Villa goal ever.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 10:12:33 PM »
Downing has scored a few coming to the back post from the LEFT wing.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
A quiz question for the future,  pleased for the lad. Good way to celebrate being player of the season

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 11:02:30 PM »

Mostly from Albrighton balls in.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 11:07:51 PM »

He must have read my post on here last week. Good lad.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47:43 PM »
Don't forget we got poor result in midlands derbies (all 3 plus Stoke)

2 win 3 draws and 3 defeat. That is 9 out of 24 points. so this lack of form in Midlands Derby say we got extra 10 points we could be 5th.

It's an interesting point, and one that often gets overlooked in 'isn't it great to have the local derbies again' type threads.

The more local sides in the top flight, the harder it is for us. The local peasants raise their game and know that even if they have a shite season they'll get lionised for beating us.

Whereas clubs of similar status as that lot (ie shite) but from another part of the country don't have quite the same obsession with us. Making it's somewhat easier to pick up points in what tends to be low key games.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 12:36:41 AM »

2 win 3 draws and 3 defeat. That is 9 out of 24 points. so this lack of form in Midlands Derby say we got extra 10 points we could be 5th.

It's an interesting point, and one that often gets overlooked in 'isn't it great to have the local derbies again' type threads.

The more local sides in the top flight, the harder it is for us. The local peasants raise their game and know that even if they have a shite season they'll get lionised for beating us.

Whereas clubs of similar status as that lot (ie shite) but from another part of the country don't have quite the same obsession with us. Making it's somewhat easier to pick up points in what tends to be low key games.
When we the league in 80-81 we had to play Small Heath (won both), Albion (D, W), Wolves (W, W), Cov (W,W), Leicester (W, W), Stoke (W, D) & Forest (D, W).

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 12:38:22 AM »
We're unbeaten in 8 league games against the Championship side, Wolves beat us for the first time in what, 30 years? And WBA for the frst time in about 25 years. So i'd hazard a guess that our derby record is pretty impressive.
And shit clubs of similar size from other parts of the country, do you mean like Wigan?

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 01:00:09 AM »

When we the league in 80-81 we had to play Small Heath (won both), Albion (D, W), Wolves (W, W), Cov (W,W), Leicester (W, W), Stoke (W, D) & Forest (D, W).

And that's great.

One league championship in the last hundred years. Are you seriously suggesting that lone example means we're better off having the beggars in the same league as us?

Give me easier fixtures with more chance of a Villa win any day of the week.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 01:03:06 AM »
I'm fine with most derbys, but not that one. Glad they're gone, hopefully Europe stretches their resources and they struggle to come back up.

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 01:06:31 AM »
We're unbeaten in 8 league games against the Championship side, Wolves beat us for the first time in what, 30 years? And WBA for the frst time in about 25 years. So i'd hazard a guess that our derby record is pretty impressive.
And shit clubs of similar size from other parts of the country, do you mean like Wigan?

Even if they don't beat us often (and I'll concede that most of them can't claim that) they're often more than capable of frustrating us with turgid draws. If we're having in any way promising seasons, they celebrate that as much as actual victories.

Plus on the odd occasion they do win it's far more unbearable than being turned over by Wigan.

Sorry, you haven't convinced me. I still say we're far better off being the only gig in town.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:13 AM »
I wonder if our much-bemoaned lack of commercial income is anything to do with having to compete with three other Premier League clubs for the West Midlands corporate pound?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 01:18:46 AM »
I wonder if our much-bemoaned lack of commercial income is anything to do with having to compete with three other Premier League clubs for the West Midlands corporate pound?

But what was the reason for the 2 decades when we were the only top flight side in the West Midlands?
I'm no expert on figures but it's always struck me that our commercial income is pretty poor considering our size, regardless of who else is or isn't in the top flight.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 01:20:19 AM »

But what was the reason for the 2 decades when we were the only top flight side in the West Midlands?
I'm no expert on figures but it's always struck me that our commercial income is pretty poor considering our size, regardless of who else is or isn't in the top flight.

Having a commercial department who thought being in the Premier League meant they didn't have to try.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 01:22:21 AM »

Even if they don't beat us often (and I'll concede that most of them can't claim that) they're often more than capable of frustrating us with turgid draws. If we're having in any way promising seasons, they celebrate that as much as actual victories.

Plus on the odd occasion they do win it's far more unbearable than being turned over by Wigan.

Sorry, you haven't convinced me. I still say we're far better off being the only gig in town.

Don't get me wrong Kevin, I don't like having the feckers in the same division as us, but my point was results based and on that we've probably taken more off those 3 over the past 5 years or so than we have say Fulham, Wigan and Bolton over the same amount of fixtures.

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:03 AM »
It probably has a bearing.

Even football fans who have a degree of sense and don't go the same route as their  B-lose or Olbiyun loving parents won't completely blackball themselves by supporting the Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal