collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir William Dugdale's memoirs.  (Read 21909 times)

Offline dcdavecollett

Re: Sir William Dugdale's memoirs.
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
Yes, Deadly Doug did the Dirty Deed on Vic Crowe. Doug always defended himself by pointing out that the sacking decision was unanimous.

Or, to put it another way, none of them knew what they were doing.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
Yes, Deadly Doug did the Dirty Deed on Vic Crowe. Doug always defended himself by pointing out that the sacking decision was unanimous.

Or, to put it another way, none of them knew what they were doing.

Vic was a lovely man, but would he have done what Saunders did?

Offline Simba

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 01:44:40 PM »
One thing he touched on was Villa's supposed inability to sign local young Catholic players because Wolves had that particular market covered. 

First I have heard that. They certainly didnt sign any more Jehovah Witness players.

Remember this one old timers?
Jingle Bells, Dougan smells, McGarrys got no hair. Peter Knowles is saving souls and Wagstaff is a spare....

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2011, 12:02:04 AM »
Nice long write up for him in the Daily Mail

"An hour or so with Sir William is a treat. He may be old-fashioned, unfashionably posh and hold some fairly entrenched views, but he is also bold, clever, refreshing, wonderfully entertaining company and fabulously optimistic.
As he puts it: ‘I made it through the war, I’ve had two lovely wives, six children, a series of interesting jobs (and only been sacked once) and a very nice house to live in. I’m a lucky devil really.’"

"But the bit that will really get Cameron squirming are his tales of being arrested with members of the super-posh Bullingdon Club for throwing soot and water over a demonstration (and, by accident, a policeman). It was in support of Russia’s invasion of Finland and was led by Roy Jenkins and Tony Crosland, who both went on to become Labour Cabinet ministers.

‘The police sergeant was very indulgent with us and more or less apologised for the fact that someone would have to pay for his replacement uniform.’ Unlike his nephew, Sir William isn’t the sort to edit his views.

On the question of homecoming ceremonies for casualties of the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, he says: ‘I’m very sorry for anyone who gets killed, but this business about bringing them back and wheeling them through Wootton Bassett is not good for force morale.’
And superinjunctions? ‘If you want to misbehave, you have to be prepared to take the flak — the Duke of Wellington got it right when he said “publish and be damned”.’

‘The thing is, and the Labour Party underestimate it, but if you ask the working classes who they want to lead them, they prefer to be led by a duke,’ he said at his book launch party earlier this week. ‘I know it’s an unpopular thing to say these days, however I have learned this from my own experience.’"

The Daily Mail = Clicky

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal