collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir William Dugdale's memoirs.  (Read 21892 times)

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
Re: Sir William Dugdale's memoirs.
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 12:39:44 AM »
Do this mean David Cameron is related to William the Conquestor. as he is related to Sir William Dugdale. I wonder if our media knew about that lol.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 01:03:59 AM »
This is why you will generally  find many older Villa fans have more time for Doug. For all his faults, few of us have the same animosty or think of him having just been in it merely for his own financial gain.

It's not just the fact that like so many others he was in it for financial gain, (which of course worked) but my animosity mostly arises from his insatiable and ruthless desire for self promotion and agrandisement at the expense of others, even though I know he couldn't (and still can't) help it.

Or perhaps it's just that I'm not as old as I thought I was.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »
Double post
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:58:07 AM by ktvillan »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
In what way was the club rescued? Financially or were we being badly run?

In 1968 Villa were a club dying on their feet, on and off the pitch they had been left behind in the 1950s and were rapidly heading for financial ruin. Doug Ellis along with people he brought in such as commercial manager Eric Woodward modernised the club and the whirlwind year of Tommy Docherty got the crowds back. This is why you will generally  find many older Villa fans have more time for Doug. For all his faults, few of us have the same animosty or think of him having just been in it merely for his own financial gain.

You can exclude me from that Andy - I'm from that generation although I was only 7 in 1968.   My Dad loathed the man from day one, and I grew to loathe him too. He came across to me as a complete slimeball.  I remain convinced he was only in it not necessarilly for financial gain but for the self-promotion and ego trip.  Pat Matthews was the real instigator behind putting the rescue package together, although I will admit that under Doug's first regime Villa were modernised and a fair bit of commerical thinking was introduced.  I'd guess much of the latter was diown to Eric Woodward.  If Doug really had the best interests of the club at heart, I wonder why so many of his fellow directors were in conflict with him, and why he felt the need to populate the board with his cronies in his later regime.

Offline Jonathan Collett

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »
Do this mean David Cameron is related to William the Conquestor. as he is related to Sir William Dugdale. I wonder if our media knew about that lol.

He's not a blood relative. Bill Dugdale married DC's aunt.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »
It was rumoured at the time that Bendall sold Ellis his shares on the cheap, as he thought it the besy way to get back at the Villa fans for the long term :).

He wasn't universally loved for removing Ron Saunders by not agreeing to the rollover contract he wanted.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 11:25:38 AM »
It was rumoured at the time that Bendall sold Ellis his shares on the cheap, as he thought it the besy way to get back at the Villa fans for the long term :).

He wasn't universally loved for removing Ron Saunders by not agreeing to the rollover contract he wanted.

I remember the chant:

"we won the league, we won the cup and Ronnie Bendall fucked it up".

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »

Which is as true now as it was the first time you made it up.

Offline Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
I'm related to William the Conqueror through Adam and Eve.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »
This is why you will generally  find many older Villa fans have more time for Doug. For all his faults, few of us have the same animosty or think of him having just been in it merely for his own financial gain.

It's not just the fact that like so many others he was in it for financial gain, (which of course worked) but my animosity mostly arises from his insatiable and ruthless desire for self promotion and agrandisement at the expense of others, even though I know he couldn't (and still can't) help it.

I've always thought Ellis wanted to be seen as Sir William Dugdale; war hero, country gent etc..

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »
Does the book include an apology for the sacking of Vic Crowe, one of the greatest managers the club ever had?

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 10:15:30 PM »
I sit next to Harry Kartz's son, grandson and great-grandaughter every home game.  I think that's what you call Villa through-and-through.  Harry's 98 now.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 10:26:45 PM »
Does the book include an apology for the sacking of Vic Crowe, one of the greatest managers the club ever had?

He wasn't chairman then, and from what he said previously he thought Vic should have stayed but was his own worst enemy in terms of how he defended himself. 

By coincidence I got a copy of the book today and the bits I've read are very interesting. One thing he touched on was Villa's supposed inability to sign local young Catholic players because Wolves had that particular market covered. It's the first I've heard of this; does anyone else know about it? 

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 08:01:54 AM »
One thing he touched on was Villa's supposed inability to sign local young Catholic players because Wolves had that particular market covered. 

First I have heard that. They certainly didnt sign any more Jehovah Witness players.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 09:58:22 AM »
I sit next to Harry Kartz's son, grandson and great-grandaughter every home game.  I think that's what you call Villa through-and-through.  Harry's 98 now.

98 not out is a fine innings, good for him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal