collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Legend Laursen in live webchat with fans on Wednesday from 1pm  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Pravda

Former defensive ace Martin Laursen is next up in our live webchat series.

Laursen will be online and interacting with supporters on Wednesday from 1pm [BST].

Feel free to quiz the Danish colossus on a range of subjects - his career in claret and blue, his thoughts on the current team and what he's up to now as he goes online for an hour.

Laursen is certainly looking forward to taking part in the live event, saying it was an "absolute pleasure" to be asked to chat with the supporters who used to chant his name.

He has already kept his ties with the club through the informative blog he writes here on the OS but he'll be taking a step further by chatting to the claret and blue army live and in person.

It's bound to be a popular feature - with the stopping sensation a massive hero among fans and a man of strong views when it comes to football.

Make sure you don't miss it.

Stewart Downing and Marc Albrighton were the last stars to pop into communications HQ for the live webchat.

The wing pair answered questions from supporters and shared stories from their time in claret and blue.

The live chat with Laursen will be the latest in our popular series which has so far included Stewart Downing, Marc Albrighton, General Krulak, Robert Pires, Ashley Young, James Collins, Darren Bent, Jean II Makoun, Carlos Cuellar and Gordon Cowans.

Thank you to all of the supporters who have logged on during past live webchats - and those who plan to take part on Wednesday.

Apologies for those who haven't had their questions answered before - we endeavour to let through as many as possible but we often have hundreds come through during the hour.

We are asking you to tell us which Villa personalities you would like to see take part in future editions of the live chat series.

Offline Legion

Re: Legend Laursen in live webchat with fans on Wednesday from 1pm
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:05:31 PM »
13:08

Martin Laursen:
Hi all. Martin Laursen here. Great to be with you all again. Fire away.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:08 Martin Laursen
13:08

Martin Laursen:
First up is from our Twitter followers. Would I consider going on Twitter?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:08 Martin Laursen
13:09

Martin Laursen:
I haven't really considered going on that. I don't know much about it. I don't do those sorts of things. I have the time but I prefer to do other things. I prefer using the phone!!
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:09 Martin Laursen
13:10

Martin Laursen:
The next question is from our Facebook followers. If I could play one more game who would I pick as my central defensive partner?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:10 Martin Laursen
13:11

Martin Laursen:
I would say Olof Mellberg. He is my very good friend. I am sad we didn't play too much together for Villa. People expected us to be partners but I got injured. When I was fit, he played right-back. I would have loved to play with him.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:11 Martin Laursen
13:12

[Comment From Rizki Panosa Rizki Panosa : ]
Who the most influential players for you when you are in Villa
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:12 Rizki Panosa

Martin Laursen:
Gareth Barry was a good player. I think he was a good experienced player to be with in the team.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:12 Martin Laursen

[Comment From gemma gemma : ]
martin - how did you feel when your car was mobbed after you said your goodbyes on the pitch?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:12 gemma
13:13

Martin Laursen:
It ws great - fantastic. That is something that tells me people like me. That is the same with autographs. That is never a problem. That is a positive thing. I have always been honoured and glad/
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:13 Martin Laursen
13:13

[Comment From Warney Warney : ]
Hi Martin, who was the best player you played with/against?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:13 Warney
13:15

Martin Laursen:
With is Paolo Maldini. He was brilliant. Against is Raul when I played with Milan. I always struggled against him. Real Madrid were a great team. He was the type of player I have had the most problems with - a smaller, hard working player, doesn't just stay up front like a first striker. He is wondering around, very intelligent. He was always more trouble than a Peter Crouch or Didier Drogba. Craig Bellamy I struggled against too.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:15 Martin Laursen
13:15

[Comment From kirsty avfc kirsty avfc : ]
Whats the most memborable game you've played in?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:15 kirsty avfc
13:16

Martin Laursen:
So many. I remember two games that stand out. The Tottenham game when I scored five mins from time in a 2-1. Then the Ajax game at home when I scored in front of the Holte End. What a noise. Wow! I was captain and everything. Amazing. That was such an honour. Both were wins too, which helps.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:16 Martin Laursen
13:17

[Comment From Dominic Dominic : ]
Hello Martin, welcome home, after your break from the game, are you looking to get back in a coaching role somewhere?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:17 Dominic
13:18

Martin Laursen:
I am taking my early coaching badges in December. I have had a start if I want to become a manager in the future. That doesn't mean I will start coaching from January 1 next year. It was my interest. I love to be on the pitch. I can definitely see me as a manager in the future. I love staying with my family - and my newborn son - so not yet with the coaching. It's a start and I will do that in December.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:18 Martin Laursen
13:19

[Comment From albrights8 albrights8 : ]
What is the best advice you have ever been given? Also, if you had to give a teamtalk before a world cup final what inspirational words would you say?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:19 albrights8
13:21

Martin Laursen:
The best thing I have ever been given is 'hard work pays off.' You always get far if you believe in yourself and that hard work will pay off in the end. My former Verona trainer said that to me and it has stuck. I believe in it. I have never been very gifted as a footballer. I have been lucky to play for Villa and Milan because I have 'wanted it' a lot. My teamtalk would be 'hard work will pay off, everything you do in training will pay off.'
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:21 Martin Laursen
13:22

[Comment From Greg Greg : ]
Hi Martin, obviously the Aston Villa team is full of talent, but who (in your opinion) is the most talented at the moment?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:22 Greg
13:23

Martin Laursen:
I played with Ashley and he is very, very talented. I like his dedication too. He works so hard. The defenders tackle him hard but he gets up and takes it again. He has so much quality with deliveries from free-kicks etc but he works hard too. I like him. Stewart Downing is very gifted too and Gabby Agbonlahor is fantastic too.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:23 Martin Laursen
13:23

what was going through your head when you went on THAT run at wigan away from your own half?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:23 gemma
13:25

Martin Laursen:
I don't know. Brilliant question!! Made me laugh. I was just giving it a go. I could see not many players in front. I thought I could run and score an easy goal. I lost a little bit a sense of where I was and who was running with me. I should have given it to the person next to me. But it's great you remember that. My first goal in Denmark came about like that. It was nice. It's something that was great to hear the fans were talking about it.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:25 Martin Laursen

[Comment From Dan Matthews Dan Matthews : ]
Who was the joker on the training ground in your time at Villa?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:25 Dan Matthews

Martin Laursen:
Ashley and Gabby - without doubt. They were ALWAYS joking and making loads of fun. Before training, on the coach, in the hotel, in the dressing room.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:25 Martin Laursen
13:26

[Comment From GoofyVillain GoofyVillain : ]
How did it feel to be given the captaincy of Aston Villa?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:26 GoofyVillain
13:27

Martin Laursen:
That was a big, big honour. It was massive. I had never tried it before. I felt - and still feel - honoured. I felt love for the club, it's my club. I felt I had something to give to Aston Villa. I was a lot injured in the start so I wanted to give something back. I loved the responsibility - it kept me on my toes. I liked that feeling. To be the first one on the pitch and all that - talking to the referee, the media, being an example for younger players - it was great and something I really enjoyed.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:27 Martin Laursen
13:28

[Comment From Aine Aine : ]
Great to see you on live chat Martin, Thank you. Where you always a defender since a child or have you played any other positions?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:28 Aine
13:29

Martin Laursen:
I only became a defender when I was 16. I was a STRIKER or a right winger. I was offensive rather than defensive. I was 16 and started with the bigger club in my hometown Silkeborg. It wasn't something I did before. I was quite old when I changed position.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:29 Martin Laursen
13:29

[Comment From albrights8 albrights8 : ]
You are the player I looked up to growing up. Who did you look up as you were growing up?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:29 albrights8
13:30

Martin Laursen:
My favourite player was Paolo Maldini and I got to play with him - incredible. I looked up to all players when I was a young kid though. I never had a real favourite.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:30 Martin Laursen
13:31

[Comment From ADAM JAMES ADAM JAMES : ]
If you had the chance to come back and coach or manage Villa in the future would you consider it?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:31 ADAM JAMES
13:31

Martin Laursen:
Yes of course. That would be very big, a dream. That's certainly not in the near future. I need more experience. That would be a big honour.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:31 Martin Laursen
13:32

Did you know how important the number 5 shirt was at Villa before you were handed it?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:32 gemma
13:32

Martin Laursen:
I didn't no to be honest. I think Alpay had it before me. David O'Leary told me number five was free and I was a typical number five. It wasn't important for me at the time but I realise now how important it is.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:32 Martin Laursen
13:33

[Comment From tammy tammy : ]
Do you still visit villa park when your in the birmingham area?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:33 tammy
13:34

Martin Laursen:
Of course, I try to return at least twice a year. I try to say hello to everyone and watch a game. That is something important to me. I love to do it. It's great to see friends. I can't let that go. Villa has a big place in my heart and football career.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:34 Martin Laursen
13:34

[Comment From Ross H Ross H : ]
In your opinion, who is the best central defender in the Premier League right now?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:34 Ross H
13:35

Martin Laursen:
Nemanja Vidic. He's very strong, exceptionally good with his head - defensively and offensively. He is rarely injured either. They can count on him. He plays well in every game by the look of it. He is so consistent. He is the perfect fit for the Premier League.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:35 Martin Laursen
13:36

[Comment From Morris Morris : ]
Hi there Martin, do you get to see Villa games every so often? What do you think of our chances for next season?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:36 Morris
13:37

Martin Laursen:
I expect Villa to be better than this season. It's been difficult. I was concerned at some points. I was very nervous we might get relegated. But it was great to see everything go well at the end. Every time I have a chance to watch a Villa game, I do. I have all the channels over here in Denmark.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:37 Martin Laursen
13:37

[Comment From AV Fan Dan AV Fan Dan : ]
who you most impressed you most players this season (youngester and senior)?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:37 AV Fan Dan
13:39

Martin Laursen:
Marc Albrighton has been a big hit in the games he's played and Ciaran Clark too. He played his part. I have heard a lot of good things about him. Stewart won player of the season and rightly so. He was great. Darren Bent has been tremendous too. His first game summed it up - a goal on his debut.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:39 Martin Laursen
13:39

[Comment From Kristoff Kristoff : ]
Hi, what's the most intimidating football ground you have played at?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:39 Kristoff
13:40

Martin Laursen:
Manchester United - that team was always difficult. We always struggled in those games. That was a tough stadium.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:40 Martin Laursen
13:40

[Comment From Steve Steve : ]
Hi Martin. After a disappointing season how do you see Villa progressing next season?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:40 Steve
13:43

Martin Laursen:
They have every chance to have a good season. The players are there. Gerard can have a pre-season where he can prepare the team. He has all the summer to work out what kind of players to bring and have a look at the whole squad. That pre-season time is so important - he didn't have that. The big players need to stay fit - Darren, Stewart, Gabby, Stiliyan. The defenders will be better too I'm sure. It's been tough for them. The first season for Dunnie and James was great, they struggled this season. They will be back, no question.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:43 Martin Laursen
13:44

[Comment From Danny AVFC Danny AVFC : ]
Ciaran Clark has played centre half this season, what you think of him and what you would your advice to him be ?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:44 Danny AVFC
13:45

Martin Laursen:
Advice - his time will come. Everyone talks highly of him. He has proven himself in the Premier League. He has experience now. He has played left-back and central midfield too but I like to see him as a central defender. He must keep working hard and believe in himself. His time will defintely come.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:45 Martin Laursen
13:45

[Comment From Sam Sam : ]
What gave you more satisfaction at Villa, scoring goals or making brilliant challenges to deny the opponents a goal?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:45 Sam
13:46

Martin Laursen:
Scoring goals was something more than I could expect. I loved it. I expected to defend - win headers, tackle - but scoring was something extra. It gave me a buzz. It was something special. That was the best feeling.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:46 Martin Laursen
13:47

[Comment From Villamatt Villamatt : ]
What keeps you busy these days?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:47 Villamatt
13:48

Martin Laursen:
My new son!! He keeps me busy. We have had a good start with him. He was born last Friday. He has been a good boy. I love it. I love staying home with him. I am so happy to be with him. I am lucky I don't have to work morning, day and night. We haven't named him yet but perhaps Anton.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:48 Martin Laursen
13:49

[Comment From Ollie Ollie : ]
Hi Martin. You are a true Villa legend! Quick question........what car do you drive?!
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:49 Ollie

Martin Laursen:
I bought a BMW X-5 and I have a Porsche too. I love driving both. One is the family and the other one is to play with a little bit.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:49 Martin Laursen

[Comment From Adam Adam : ]
Hi Martin - what do you think of the Darren Bent signing and how do you think he has done?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:49 Adam
13:51

Martin Laursen:
He has been really good. My first thought was it was a lot of money - that was my honest thought at the time. But then Torres went for £50m. So that's just the market. He has shown he was more than worth the money. I can't wait to see him next season. His first five months have been brilliant - nine goals in fifteen games.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:51 Martin Laursen
13:52

[Comment From aran aran : ]
If you could play one more game in any competition for any club, who would you play for and what competition would you play in ?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:52 aran

Martin Laursen:
I would play an Aston Villa game of course. One more game at home would be a dream. Any team, any competition - it doesn't matter. Champions League would be great though...
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:52 Martin Laursen

Martin Laursen:
Being captain of Villa in the Champions League would be amazing.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:52 Martin Laursen
13:53

[Comment From Scott R Scott R : ]
Have you ever imagined what it would be like if you and Paul McGrath played together?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:53 Scott R
13:54

Martin Laursen:
I am very honoured about all the Paul McGrath talk - saying I am a legend like him. I couldn't see that coming when I started my Villa career. I enjoy all that talk immensely. I must have given a big impression to the fans to be mentioned with Paul McGrath. We probably wouldn't let many goals in!!
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:54 Martin Laursen
13:55

[Comment From Dave Dave : ]
How much do you miss football?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:55 Dave
13:56

Martin Laursen:
I don't miss it that much. I can struggle a little bit when I watch the big games or I'm at Villa Park. I imagine myself playing in claret and blue again. I would have loved to have continued playing. My knee wasn't good. Another thing was I believe that I stopped at the very top. It wasn't like I was playing with injury and not playing well. I finished on top. The last impression for me and the fans was positive. That's important to me. That was nice.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:56 Martin Laursen
13:57

Martin Laursen:
I am not waking up in the middle of the night crying!!
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:57 Martin Laursen
13:57

[Comment From John Swain John Swain : ]
What was the reason for your goal celebration with the arm looping in the air - that always amused me?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:57 John Swain
13:58

Martin Laursen:
I didn't think. It was just natural. I was just something I did.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:58 Martin Laursen
13:58

[Comment From Jim Jim : ]
Would you encourage your son to become a footballer should he choose when older?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:58 Jim
13:59

Martin Laursen:
I love to watch him play football. It's great to have the interest - my biggest one. He has started football practice. I would love for both to play football because it's something that has my love and interest. I will be their trainer when I get bigger - that's important as a dad.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:59 Martin Laursen
13:59

Martin Laursen:
I would never encourage them to do it if they don't want to. Do what you like to do. That's vital as a parent.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 13:59 Martin Laursen
14:00

[Comment From Henry Cox Henry Cox : ]
What was more intense, Villa vs Birmingham or AC vs Inter? ;)
Wednesday May 18, 2011 14:00 Henry Cox
14:00

Martin Laursen:
AC v Inter I would say. They were massive games. Villa v Birmingham is very big too. I enjoyed playing in all derbies. The atmosphere and tension in both was big.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 14:00 Martin Laursen
14:01

[Comment From Saz Saz : ]
Would you consider sitting in The Holte End for a game in the future?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 14:01 Saz

Martin Laursen:
Yes without doubt. That would be a great experience.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 14:01 Martin Laursen

[Comment From jonnycree jonnycree : ]
What is the most important thing life has taught you?
Wednesday May 18, 2011 14:01 jonnycree
14:02

Martin Laursen:
To be honest and be someone that people can count on, someone people can trust. Always be yourself, that's important too. I have always believed in these priniciples.
Wednesday May 18, 2011 14:02 Martin Laursen
14:04

Martin Laursen:
It's goodbye to everyone now. I have really enjoyed spending time with you. Hope you enjoyed my answers. I will finish by saying 'UP THE VILLA!!'

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »
What a player and a nice man to go with it. It'll take time (or excellent scouting) for us to have another defender as good as him or Mellberg.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
I think it is great talk, I would love to see a back 4 of Mellberg, Laursen, McGrath and Maldini :) I suppose it is not too greedy :)

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
Great stuff, thanks for posting.

Offline Summers

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
What a man. Loved reading that.

" I felt love for the club, it's my club. "

Says it all. He was only here for a short-time, but he made a big impression on us, and we made one on him. I'll always remember him as one of the greatest defenders I've ever seen play and a worthy Captain of Aston Villa.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
Every thing about the bloke is class, Great Player Great Captain a true Villa Great

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 12:35:06 AM »
We need more players like Mellberg, Laursen and Ian Taylor as they love play for Aston Villa. Stephen Ireland take note.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 01:18:28 AM »
Laursen's no more a Villa legend than I am. We do seem to be very easily pleased these days.
I'll stick with the likes of Mortimer, McGrath, Little, Withe and co as my true Villa legends. Laursen doesn't even come close.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 01:18:36 AM »
Haven 't thought about Laursen in a while but God how we could have done with him this season.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 08:27:53 AM »
Thanks for posting the webchats. Very interesting.

For all you conspiracy theorists out there, he didn't mention Young when talking about our prospects for next season.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »
Laursen's no more a Villa legend than I am. We do seem to be very easily pleased these days.
I'll stick with the likes of Mortimer, McGrath, Little, Withe and co as my true Villa legends. Laursen doesn't even come close.

i'm sadly old enough to remember those players and yes they are true Villa legends,

but not everyone goes back that far, and every generation needs there footballing hero's and Legends.

us oldies who were about during the league and european wins can count ourselves very lucky, as it probably wont happen again any time soon, we were spoilt although probably didnt realise it at the time.

as for Laursen, i disagree with you anyway,
even counting the 'glory years' he is the second best defender i've ever seen at the Villa,
 the only negative against his 'Legend' status in my view is the amount of games played, as he was injured a lot of the time.
but as i player he's right up there with the best of them

a true Villa Legend of his generation in my view

Offline Legion

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 10:23:14 AM »
I echo those sentiments, John. A 'modern-day' legend if you will.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal