collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

150 celebrations by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:41:56 AM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 11:41:17 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by chrisw1
[Today at 11:40:35 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:26:04 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:24:59 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New Sponsors announced: Intuit QuickBooks  (Read 76087 times)

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: New Sponsors??
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »
Of course it does. A manager such as Mourinho or Holloway whose every words are repeated over and over again on TV would have to be more attractive to a sponsor because every time they're on TV the sponsors logo is plastered all over the board behind them.
Wonga's logo is always on TV thanks to Holloway.
I would imagine that Blackpool's sponsorship deal is probably the cheapest in the league.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »
Please give me an example when the manager of a football team directly influenced who the shirt sponsors were.

All the sponsors care about is maximum publicity for minimum price. They won't give a flying fuck if it's Gerard Houllier or Ian Huntley in the dug out.

Not so.  The sponsors want maximum 'positive' publicity and they want people to associate their product with the club they sponsor.  If that club's successful then the product is associated with success.  If that club has a gaffe prone manager, or a manager that plays unattractive football, etc, etc then the product association has those connotations too.

Also, as DeKuip says, the profile of the manager can have an impact too.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »
It makes you wonder why Flybe ever sponsored a team who never flew anywhere and whose fans had all had their passports taken off them.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
Don't forget Triton was such an apt sponsor for years.  Perhaps Acrons was an insight into the size of MONs bollocks.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
Please give me an example when the manager of a football team directly influenced who the shirt sponsors were.

All the sponsors care about is maximum publicity for minimum price. They won't give a flying fuck if it's Gerard Houllier or Ian Huntley in the dug out.

Not so.  The sponsors want maximum 'positive' publicity and they want people to associate their product with the club they sponsor.  If that club's successful then the product is associated with success.  If that club has a gaffe prone manager, or a manager that plays unattractive football, etc, etc then the product association has those connotations too.

And what happens when the manager changes halfway through the sponsors contract?

Please, provide me an example of when the sponsor of a club was affected by who the Manager was.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 04:50:13 PM »
I would prefer a simple sponsor not like the shite that adorns our current kits.

Offline olofmilosevic

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »

A sponsorship deal is an investment! if the team plays poorly the less publicity the respective company would get! If you were going to invest in a company then you found out the ceo was leaving and mickey mouse was taking charge would you still throw your money at it?? I wouldn't!!

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »

And what happens when the manager changes halfway through the sponsors contract?

Please, provide me an example of when the sponsor of a club was affected by who the Manager was.

I'm with VSM on this one. Unless we are about to appoint Mourinho then its irrelevant. Sponsorship deals usually last way longer than manager's contracts

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »
Of course a manager would be a consideration of a sponsor.

The amount of time a manager of a club spends speaking to the press at his weekly press confrence will definitely be considered for example. The likes of Redknapp, and O'Neill tend to get loads of coverage on SSN every friday, sitting in their training tops with the club sponsor across the front.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 01:28:32 PM »

I can't because it's not the only factor - stop looking at this so black and white.

It is an element of the overall decision to sponsor a club.  Given we're currently in a state of flux in that department it makes it more difficult to sign a shirt sponsor up.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 02:16:46 PM »
A sponsorship deal is an investment! if the team plays poorly the less publicity the respective company would get! If you were going to invest in a company then you found out the ceo was leaving and mickey mouse was taking charge would you still throw your money at it?? I wouldn't!!

Not sure this is 100% the case....you could argue we have had nearly as much press for being bad and in trouble this season as we did the year before when finishing 6th

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »

I can't because it's not the only factor - stop looking at this so black and white.

It is an element of the overall decision to sponsor a club.  Given we're currently in a state of flux in that department it makes it more difficult to sign a shirt sponsor up.

Ok, give me a quote or proof that who the manager was had any single part in the decision by a sponsor to sponsor said club.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »
Ok, give me a quote or proof that who the manager was had any single part in the decision by a sponsor to sponsor said club.

I dount any such direct evidence exists.  However, there can be a simple supply and demand thing going on.

Give the job to Curbishley and we'll still get a pretty penny for our sponsorship by credit of being a PL side.  Give it to Rijkaard and the profile of the club increases dramatically, thereby increasing the amount of firms wanting to sponsor us, thereby allowing us to up the price a bit.

If there's a direct example of a club being in negotiations at £Xm, changing the manager and then being able to get £Ym for it then I don't know of one.  Suppose it's just a theory really, but one I think has at least some merit. 

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »

I dount any such direct evidence exists.  However, there can be a simple supply and demand thing going on.

Give the job to Curbishley and we'll still get a pretty penny for our sponsorship by credit of being a PL side.  Give it to Rijkaard and the profile of the club increases dramatically, thereby increasing the amount of firms wanting to sponsor us, thereby allowing us to up the price a bit.

If there's a direct example of a club being in negotiations at £Xm, changing the manager and then being able to get £Ym for it then I don't know of one.  Suppose it's just a theory really, but one I think has at least some merit. 

Explained much better than I could've!  Thanks John.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 09:18:03 PM »
So by that theory, if we had Mourinho as manager we'd have a sponsor like Ferrari, but if we appointed Curbishley we'd have MG again?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal