collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The secret of our 'success'  (Read 16937 times)

Offline jonzy85

Re: The secret of our 'success'
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »
I know it is all a massive relief, but I think we are going to be in trouble if we imagine everything will be OK just because we've avoided relegation.

There will have to be some harsh choices made this summer. Meaning: players and staff we like, will have to go.

Absolutely agree. Dunne has improved from his previous performance level of late, but he has still given us us almost an entire season of shitness.

Him and Collins have been the leaders of the"couldn't give a fuck" brigade all season. We can't risk that happening again.

I would put Ashley Young in the same group, if there is such a thing. A few flashes of good form and it looks like all the top clubs are lining up for him. It beggars belief. I still would prefer him to stay, as I would most of our squad.

People seem to have very short memories. A lot of the players who have been poor this season, were immense the season before (Dunne & Collins case in point). I would rather stick with the likes of them in the hope that they recapture their previous form than offload them at a knock-down price only to replace them with players who may take time/not settle in and most likely cost quite a bit.

If people are still hung up on the off-field incidents, so be it. But if Man Utd fans can forgive Rooney, City fans likewise with Tevez, for what they did, surely we can move on.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
I think Glenn Roeder's mastery of standing by the touchline, arms folded, looking slightly bemused is second to none and I think if M. Houllier is moved upstairs then the logical place for GR is pitchside.

His career highlights courtesy of Wikipedia:

GillinghamRoeder spent one season as player-manager of Gillingham, during which time he led the side to 13 wins in 51 games and saw them finish second from bottom of the Football League, escaping relegation after winning against bottom club Halifax Town in the penultimate fixture of the season.

BurnleyRoeder followed his tenure at Watford by taking a season away from the limelight, assuming a back seat role as Chris Waddle's assistant manager at Burnley. Only a home victory over Plymouth Argyle on the last day staved off the spectre of relegation.

Newcastle UnitedHe was able to turn the Magpies' season around, rescuing them from near the foot of the table to finish seventh in the Premier League with a place in the Intertoto Cup.

Norwich CityHe then guided the team out of the relegation zone with wins over Plymouth Argyle, Sheffield United, Scunthorpe United, Barnsley, Southampton, Preston North End and Cardiff City.

It doesn't take a genius to work out why we are heading in the direction we are.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
See? Roeder for manager.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »
Roders the man - and better than Brian Little at interviews too.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2011, 07:10:23 PM »
I'm not convinced but it ain't my call.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2011, 08:38:42 PM »
If people are still hung up on the off-field incidents, so be it. But if Man Utd fans can forgive Rooney, City fans likewise with Tevez, for what they did, surely we can move on.
Spot the difference: Rooney & Tevez - Dunne & Collins.

I take your point but I do not think that D&C are the future; decent but not going to move us substantially forward.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2011, 08:46:36 PM »
I knew it wouldn't be accepted on here as many of you have painted yourselves into a corner with your opinions on Dunne.
I don't expect him to be here next season and his early season displays were rubbish but you're letting emotion cloud your judgement if you fail to see how his improvement has coincided with the upturn in results.
I said earlier Chris that Dunne has played most of our games this season but crucially in the last 7 games we've had the same back four and they've done okay. I think that our recent reasonable form is down to having Walker and LY at fullback: they've done a lot of the sweeping up that was perhaps not being done defensively previously (particularly LY covering for Dunne on the left of defence).

I struggle to give credit to Dunne for anything on the pitch this season, given that he is a seasoned senior footballer who should have been a darn sight better than he has been. Maybe he's just started doing what he should have been doing earleir in the season although he still looks woefully immobile.
And, by the way, this is neither me being melodramatic or having a downer on Dunne; I just don't think he'sgood enough currently.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal