collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Delph - Are we ready for the future?  (Read 16996 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Delph - Are we ready for the future?
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:04:45 AM »
During and after today's game I read very contrasting views on Delph's performance versus Arsenal.  I did not see the match so I was wondering whether based on what they have seen (i.e. not reputation) they would have Delph as one of our main midfielders next year.

I think he is ideal - in theory - in a 433 or maybe on the left in a 442 but would be worried if he played in the centre of a 442.  But I have to be honest I have hardly seen him kick a ball at villa.

What do people think?  Do we need to invest in another midfielder (knowing that money is tight) or could Delph do the job (with Petrov as backup if it goes pear shaped)?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:07:30 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline The Left Side

Re: Delph - Are we ready for the future?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 03:27:52 AM »
I think he needs to be a regular first teamer next year

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 04:10:06 AM »
I'm not saying you're wrong left side, just playing devil's advocate, but at what point to we expect a return on our 6-8m investment.  He's approaching the right age etc etc, is it time to take a risk and spend the money elsewhere.

Offline b671

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 05:36:09 AM »
think that delph needs a run in the team next year,looked rusty at times against arsenal.definately got potenial now has to show it.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:46:33 AM »
Had a fine game against Bolton anyway. Next season he needs to step up though and make the position his own.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 06:58:20 AM »
He has got a tremendous passing range, couple of 50 yard balls that were brilliant, but tired badly as I expected and his tackling is still more Paul Scholes than Roy Keane like. Give him a run, think he will be a super player.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »
I thought he had lots of moments of real class. I'm much more comfy with him in a 3 at the moment. I expect him to emerge as first choice over the course of next year

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 07:36:35 AM »
Gives the ball away too much for me. For what we paid for him, i'm not convinced he's better than some of the promising home-grown midfielders we have. I guess its a bit harsh to bring up the price tag all the time but it was a hell of a lot of money to pay for a div1 player. Anyway, the injury was bad and i guess he's still feeling his way back. Seeing he's Gary Mac's protegee, he's obviously rated by the current coaching staff so hopefully he'll play a part against liverpool

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 08:11:10 AM »
Gives the ball away too much for me. For what we paid for him, i'm not convinced he's better than some of the promising home-grown midfielders we have. I guess its a bit harsh to bring up the price tag all the time but it was a hell of a lot of money to pay for a div1 player. Anyway, the injury was bad and i guess he's still feeling his way back. Seeing he's Gary Mac's protegee, he's obviously rated by the current coaching staff so hopefully he'll play a part against liverpool
I think that - along with other options that may emerge from the current crop of youff - he's definitely MF potential that needs to step up next season. With budgets presumably continuing to tbe tight, he should get his chance (fitness willing).

Greg - how is he "G Mac's protege"? MON bought him; GHou picked and played him. Don't necessarily see the connection other than that both once played for Leeds (that's not it, is it?!).

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 08:19:53 AM »
He played at Leeds for him.

I think he's going to be one of our first choice midfielders for a long time to come, he's a cracking player and prospect.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:21:01 AM »
could be wrong but i'm pretty sure he got his chance under gary mac at leeds

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:35:25 AM »
He's a top player in the making and needs regular football to iron out the kinks.
He has a bit of everything, Pace, tenacity, great range of passing, shooting... etc.
This season he's recovered from a major injury that finishes some players careers, has played left back and been in and out of the team. It's not the time to judge him. I hope he gets a regular chance next season to show what he can do and I'm excited at the prospect of him, Gardner and a cultured destroyer in midfield at some point in the future. As well as the likes of Bannan, Makoun and maybe Herd and Johnson.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 08:39:28 AM »
He was a bit sloppy at the start and looked a bit out of his depth.  But he grew into the game and ended up having a good game overall.  He needs more experience so we should persevere as there is talent there.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I'd say he started well, then it went a bit pear shaped and then he got over it and played very well.
Which shows good character.

I've been a fan since I saw him come on for the U21s a couple of years ago. He came on as a 17/18 year old and lit the game up. I've always been impressed with his attitude too. He isn't phased by playing at the top level and you can tell he feels he belongs there. That's vital for young players breaking through, because there will be days when it doesnt work out and you have to brush it off and get on with it.
MON described him as a proper footballer and he's completely correct.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »
The Arsenal game is probably a tough one to judge him on.  He's essentially an attacking midfielder and that was a game we were never going to see much of the ball in, so he needed to chase and close down.  He did it, but it's hard for him to shine that way.

I'd also say he needs a 'Gabby style' weights programme over the summer to build some bulk.

The ability is there and if he gets a run he'll do well for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal