collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Downing to stay ! (I hope)  (Read 14775 times)

Offline UsualSuspect

Re: Downing to stay ! (I hope)
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »
its not cheered me up,
as i'm in a small minority that thinks he's vastly overated.

i watch him have one of his better games, where he does a few good things  and we maybe score from one of his crosses, but still only a just above average performance,
 then i come on here and read how he was Awesome this and Awesome that,  and Superb the other,   i just dont get it

i've seen some awesome players at Villa but he aint one of them

so i wont be bothered if he goes, not one bit, especially if he brings in some big money, but i cant see it, for all the talk of Liverpool wanting him, Dalglish wont spend big on the likes of Downing you can be sure of that

i know it goes against the grain, but thats the way i see it

Same as me

For me he always holds something back and when the chips are down goes missing along with the majority of the side.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »
There are several fans who seem to have it in for Downing. But the majority clearly see he has been our player of the season. To his credit off the pitch he has stated he wants a new contract thus avoiding all the summer gossip etc Think the Downing Knockers should be looking at what Ashley Young has created in terms of unsettling our club .......

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2011, 03:12:33 PM »
There are several fans who seem to have it in for Downing. But the majority clearly see he has been our player of the season. To his credit off the pitch he has stated he wants a new contract thus avoiding all the summer gossip etc Think the Downing Knockers should be looking at what Ashley Young has created in terms of unsettling our club .......

I haven't got it in for him at all, I just don't think he's been as good as is made out.

And quite what it's got to do with Ashley Young, who has been and is our best player, I don't know.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »
Lets be honest Downing had to improve on last season where he was by and large a disgrace.

He has been much improved this season but as with the rest of the side he has flattered to deceive so for me it's 6/7 out of ten.

However, the talk of making him captain or moving him into central midfield are in my opinion ridiculous.

people on facebook are actually calling him a legend

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 03:26:27 PM »
Lets be honest Downing had to improve on last season where he was by and large a disgrace.

He has been much improved this season but as with the rest of the side he has flattered to deceive so for me it's 6/7 out of ten.

However, the talk of making him captain or moving him into central midfield are in my opinion ridiculous.

I would hardly call him a disgrace for last season's showing and as for legend the word is all to readily used these days, I still feel he has been our best player overall this season and I am very pleased that he will hopefully sign a new contract.

Downing for PM !!!!

UTV
The Doc

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2011, 03:27:32 PM »

I haven't got it in for him at all, I just don't think he's been as good as is made out.

And quite what it's got to do with Ashley Young, who has been and is our best player, I don't know.
Why i mentioned Ashley Young is because the "Downing knockers" are still having a go even though he has been voted player of the season and is enthusiastic about his future at Aston Villa. Yet Young has failed to confirm his future and caused uncertainty to the club and he hardly gets any stick. As for the best player at the club i would let him go before Bent anyday ......

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2011, 03:35:24 PM »
If you don't think Downing was shit last season then I don't know what else to say.

Quite frankly the only thing lacking from his game last season was a handbag.

oooohhh I dont want to go for that header at home to Arsenal because I may hurt myself on the post.

ooohhhh that nasty man might hurt me in a 50/50 challenge so I'll run off

He has said he wants to stay at Villa, fuck me every player should be saying "I love Villa"  as playing for one of the most historic football clubs in the world and getting 60 grand a week for the privilege should guarantee that.

If Downing saying he wants to say gets us excited it shows have far we have come

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »

I don't think Downing has looked better because the rest of the team has been mainly shite, but I do think that in previous years he wouldn't even be mentioned in the POTY discussions after similar performances.

Good player worth about what we payed for him.  Keep and get a few more of his level and we'll be a decent side again.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2011, 10:16:09 PM »
its not cheered me up,
as i'm in a small minority that thinks he's vastly overated.

i watch him have one of his better games, where he does a few good things  and we maybe score from one of his crosses, but still only a just above average performance,
 then i come on here and read how he was Awesome this and Awesome that,  and Superb the other,   i just dont get it

i've seen some awesome players at Villa but he aint one of them

so i wont be bothered if he goes, not one bit, especially if he brings in some big money, but i cant see it, for all the talk of Liverpool wanting him, Dalglish wont spend big on the likes of Downing you can be sure of that

i know it goes against the grain, but thats the way i see it

appolagies for quoting my own quote here, but todays game against Arsenal typifies what i mean about the great Downing myth

i dont think he put a one decent ball in today i saw him waste loads of opportunities to cause problems for there defence but the best we ever got was a corner or throw in

yet on the post match thread, he's 8/10 its a joke,
and even those that admit he wasnt very clever today say 'but he was great in helping out the defence' i despair,
thats exactly what i mean about Downing, he was at  best today ordinary and average, yet posters still think he was great, some even sugesting he was our best player,

no he wasnt , no where near, Bent ,Reo Coker, Walker,  L Young, Friedel were all miles better,
but hey ho lets keep the great Downing band waggon rolling along

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
Good player on the ball but he is a pansy and he's a professional footballer on 50k a week and he can't kick with his right foot.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2011, 10:20:03 PM »
Downing was very poor today for me John too. I think he is vastly better than last season, but still has a fair number of crap games.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2011, 10:26:26 PM »

I don't think Downing has looked better because the rest of the team has been mainly shite, but I do think that in previous years he wouldn't even be mentioned in the POTY discussions after similar performances.

Good player worth about what we payed for him.  Keep and get a few more of his level and we'll be a decent side again.

That's my take on it too.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:25 PM »
Good player on the ball but he is a pansy and he's a professional footballer on 50k a week and he can't kick with his right foot.

That's nonsense.  He's one of the few players we have who will fancy his chances shooting or crossing with either foot.  I don't think I've ever seen Ash or Albrighton put crosses in with their left.

He's been our best player this season - mainly because he's looked more on the pace of the game and because for the first half of the season he chipped in with a few goals.  Last season he was poor and I was seriously worried we'd been ripped off.  But if he carries on the form of this year for the majority of a new contract then we'll have done very well on the deal.

But whoever is making the decisions has to remember he's a winger.  We need to stop this mentality of moving widemen in to the attacking centre-mid role.  If we want an attacking player to sit behind Bent then let's buy one.

How much do you reckon it would cost to get that fella from QPR?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal