collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McAllister 'Cuellar still has a future here.'  (Read 12526 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: McAllister 'Cuellar still has a future here.'
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
MON ruined him. Looked superb at Rangers in Europe but being stuck at right back when he was trying to establish himself seems to have damaged his confidence permanently

he's still a good CB back greg. MON didn't ruin him at all, and if you look at our defensive record it's better with him at RB.

MON liked playing with CB's in the team, and you could argue it contributed to us being more effective at defending set pieces. It also partly explains why Mellberg also played RB because it just gave us more height in defence and suited MON's philosophy in attacking situations too.

Well i  think he's never looked the same in the centre since being stuck at right back to make way for real garbage like Davies. They're not the same position and require totally different skills. If you stuck Terry, vidic or Ferdinand at right-back for 2 seasons then they'd look iffy back in the centre

Offline Hale

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »
If he has a future he should have been picked regularly - the haste in which Collins & Dunne were recalled after "bondgate" was terrible and if Carlos is a model professional (per Gary Mac) and was overlooked then what sort of example does that set our youngsters!

Don't get me started on their drinking buddy Luke (we don't know what's going on) Young - did he not refuse a move to Liverpool at the beginning of the season - your contact is with AV so be positive and support the club that pays you so much.

Thanks - I feel better now.

UTV

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 06:05:01 PM »
The first of Houiller's many clangers this season was dropping Carlos after he was the best player on the pitch by a mile away at Wolves. If he'd kept his place like he should have, we might have seen a really good season from him.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »
My face is buried in my palm.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 06:19:57 PM »
The first of Houiller's many clangers this season was dropping Carlos after he was the best player on the pitch by a mile away at Wolves. If he'd kept his place like he should have, we might have seen a really good season from him.
That was mystifying.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »
"A wee run of results"?  FFS!

He's right; 1 defeat in the last 6, 4 in the last 15. It's not earth shattering but it's decent.

Those results coincided with getting Dunne and Collins fit and signing Bent.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 06:35:04 PM »
I think he's just an old-fashioned centre half, passing and playing the ball out of defence isn't his game. How many stupid goals could have been avoided this season if someone had just got rid of the ball instead of watching in terror as it pings around our penalty area?

I'd have him in place of Dunne and Collins on their form this season, and I hope we can persuade him to stay at the club for longer.

My sentiments aswell.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 06:41:41 PM »
I like Cuellar and he contributed a lot to us having one of the best defensive records in the league last year but he does have his limitations. The most obvious one is his passing but I also have concerns about his positional play, he needs somebody talking to him the whole time to keep him on his toes.

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 06:50:17 PM »
I hope he stays, especially if his missus brings her "10 out of 10" mates along with her to the games as she did on saturday.  They certainly brightened up a dull afternoon.  Did anyone see what the banner said above the players tunnel?  It belonged to the Spanish contingent.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 07:06:41 PM »
People who say he is limited and garbage are way wrong, Ok he's not the best passer of the ball, But he is a bloody good defender and like somoene said he has not let us down by getting pissed and slagging off the manager.

Like Clampy said he was the best player on the park at wolves and then was dropped for no reason!

Keep him and fuck Dunne off

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »
Oh and another thing! What happened to squad rotation? That's been proved as a load of shit as Collins & Dunne are in when fit and in Dunne's case NOT

Offline l_mckay

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
would much rather Cuellar play than Dunne,hasnt let anyone down when he's played this season!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »
Rafa the Gaffa will get the best out of Carlos.

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »
I feel sorry for Cuellar, he must sit there watching the chuckle brothers at centre half and think 'how poor have these two got to play for me to get a game?'. I remember him playing at Wolves and he was outstanding and got man of the match, then he was dropped again.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 07:49:25 PM »
Yes, he was outstanding against the Dingles. Has barely had a look-in since. Ridiculous. I'm sure we'd be further up the league positions if he'd been used on a more regular basis.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal