collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:52:23 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Petrov - 'We have let the fans down.'  (Read 15541 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Petrov - 'We have let the fans down.'
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »
Buy having petrov as one of our best performers it highlights how shit we really are.

I am not highligting him as one of our best performers as such. What I am saying is that a few weeks back when we all shitting ourselves that the worst may happen, the one and only thing that mattered was digging out some points. He as much as anybody else stepped up and did what was necessary.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:45:33 AM »
Yes you have, you overpaid wasters.

I hope Stan isn't here next season also, I think overall he has been a disappointing player for us

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 10:58:54 AM »
He has not been one of our best performers at all. He's had one game recently where you could say he was the standard we need in a central midfielder and that was the Newcastle match.
It's mostly crab like ineffective passing, being bypassed easily and breathing through his arse 10 minutes into the second half. Reo Coker, for all his faults, is regularly outperforming him and has been far more consistently good this season.

If he is in the starting XI next season we are in big trouble in my opinion and currently there is no way he should be in the side ahead of Delph certainly and Makoun.
He'll do well in a more ponderous league though. Maybe a midtable Serie A side or something.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 11:07:30 AM »
just soundbites.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 11:10:06 AM »
You need people who will change a game on the bench and that is not Stan.

If you mean come on when we need a goal and score/create, then no he's not.  But changing a game can also be defensive changes when we're defending a narrow lead.  In certain games a player who can come on, break up play and help us keep the ball is worth as much as a super-sub who gets the winner/equaliser.

I'm in the 'sell him' bracket if I'm honest, but I can see how he could be of use as a squad player should he stay, especially with what is looking like quite a young and inexperienced midfield.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 11:13:53 AM »
Have we not learned anything from the injury problems this season? We need his experience and ability in the squad, not to start every week but with Bannan, Delph and Makoun having about 20 league starts between them they are going to need somebody who knows the ropes.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 11:14:18 AM »
As people have said, at this stage, we should be looking for a player who can run our midfield for the next 4-5 seasons and Petrov probably has another year or so left maximum. I think he'll probably stay, if only because we won't be able to shift him on his current contract
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:18:00 AM by gregnash »

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 11:16:29 AM »
I wouldn't bring him on as a defensive player either. For that you need somebody who can close the ball down with speed and strength and he has neither. I really just dont see the point in him.

Offline levico

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »
He's talking as if the season is over whereas a couple of likely drubbings in the final two matches could see us down. Do your talking on the pitch Stan!! (then F*** off).

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
He's talking as if the season is over whereas a couple of likely drubbings in the final two matches could see us down. Do your talking on the pitch Stan!! (then F*** off).

Are you still seriously suggesting we can be relegated ?

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 11:47:51 AM »
His legs might have gone but he is still the only class performer we have got in central midfield, he does have the ability to up his game if needed albeit rarely these days, with the likes of NRC you are only going to get a certain level of performance, Makoun looks like he could have some real ability if he gets used to the prem.

If we're going to challenge the top 6 again we need a younger version of Petrov, but he will be a good squad player to have next season.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »
In what way is he a class performer? And if we're ever going to be a top 6 side again we dont need any kind of version of Petrov.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »
He has not been one of our best performers at all. He's had one game recently where you could say he was the standard we need in a central midfielder and that was the Newcastle match.
It's mostly crab like ineffective passing, being bypassed easily and breathing through his arse 10 minutes into the second half. Reo Coker, for all his faults, is regularly outperforming him and has been far more consistently good this season.

If he is in the starting XI next season we are in big trouble in my opinion and currently there is no way he should be in the side ahead of Delph certainly and Makoun.
He'll do well in a more ponderous league though. Maybe a midtable Serie A side or something.

I'm not sure what Delph has done to demonstrate he should be in side ahead of those who have been playing.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »
I'd keep him and let him go next Summer.

I reckon he'll still be here next season and then go on a free next summer.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 11:56:44 AM »
In what way is he a class performer? And if we're ever going to be a top 6 side again we dont need any kind of version of Petrov.

I find that a bizarre statement considering we were 6th for three consecutive years with him being a fixture in the side?

What we need, and have needed for a while, is an improved version who has extra energy and physicality to truely dominate a midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal