collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:52:38 PM]

Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 01:52:28 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:50:16 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Dave
[Today at 01:49:10 PM]

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 01:47:33 PM]

The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:52:38 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 01:52:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:50:16 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Dave
[Today at 01:49:10 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by eamonn
[Today at 01:48:07 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 01:47:33 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Olneythelonely
[Today at 01:47:05 PM]

Re: The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Petrov - 'We have let the fans down.'  (Read 15574 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Petrov - 'We have let the fans down.'
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
sportinglife.com

Skipper Stiliyan Petrov admits Aston Villa's players have let their fans down this season and not lived up to expectations.

Villa have finished in the top six of the Barclays Premier League in the previous three seasons but have only just ensured safety from relegation this time around.

Petrov is calling on to squad to ensure it is one-off campaign but is hoping new signings will be brought in during the summer.

The Bulgarian international said: "We need to make sure this season is only a one-off because, with the players and the quality we have got here, it has not lived up to expectations.

"We haven't performed this season and we know that it is down to us and nobody else.

"We have let the fans down, and we will not run away from that fact, and we have to make sure that we are right for next season.

"The last three seasons we have been sixth. This season we did not show what we are capable of and next season will be a big one for us.

"It has been a long and frustrating season."

When asked if Villa should bring in any new signings, Petrov said: "I think you need to ask the people who are going to be in charge that question.

"If I become a manager then I can tell you. But seriously it is always nice to see new faces because every single team will try and strengthen.

"Every team will bring in new faces to make the team better and hopefully we can do that as well."

Petrov is hoping manager Gerard Houllier will be fit to resume his duties after his heart problems but is aware his health has to be the number one priority.

Petrov said: "He is getting better and we hope it will not be long before we see him again but it is important that he puts his health first.

"It is nearly the end of the season and hopefully we will see it through and after that the people here will make a decision.

"I went to see him in hospital. We talked for a while but he is back home now and we will go and see him again and the most important thing for him is to have peace and relax.

"It is strange to see how much he loves football. We went to see him and all he talked about was football. He was frustrated he could not watch the Barcelona-Real Madrid game.

"That is typical of a man who loves football."

Petrov has returned to the side in recent weeks after Houllier preferred Jean Makoun and Nigel Reo-Coker for a spell but is philosophical about his time on the sidelines.

He said: "That is football. I am back in again but that is the way that football goes.

"I love football and at times you go through times like that and, as long as you keep working and stay competitive with your team-mates, that is the main thing.

"It is 20 players and a squad, not just 11 players."

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
Re: Petrov - 'We have let the fans down.'
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »
That's right Stan, you have.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:38:11 AM »
Stan is a likeable chap but I hope he's elsewhere next season.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »
Stan has always been honest.

I'd be happy to keep Stan as a squad player only, good experience off the bench.

To start is too much for him now, 60 minutes in and his legs are shot.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »
"It is strange to see how much he loves football. We went to see him and all he talked about was football. He was frustrated he could not watch the Barcelona-Real Madrid game."

That's a nice quote.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »

I'd be happy to keep Stan as a squad player only, good experience off the bench.

I see where you're coming from but I still wouldn't bother. You need people who will change a game on the bench and that is not Stan.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »
No shit Sherlock

Instead of the players giving interviews every 5 minutes perhaps they could work on how to defend set pieces or how to pass the ball forwards

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »
I think the general consensus is that Petrov is now past his best for us. However, comments when he was out the side that his legs had gone, he was finished, you would be lucky to get 45 minutes out him, were wide of the mark.
It hasnt been a spectacular revival to avoid the dreaded drop, but in recent weeks when we have at least mostly avoided defeat and dug in for a couple of wins Petrov has been there and usually for the whole game.

For getting us out of trouble, I credit Petrov for stepping up when it mattered every bit as much as Bents goals.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:37 AM »

I see where you're coming from but I still wouldn't bother. You need people who will change a game on the bench and that is not Stan.
You're probably right.
I'd say an up and coming Championship side might be his best bet, Leeds or Forest.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »

You're probably right.
I'd say an up and coming Championship side might be his best bet, Leeds or Forest.

I agree

But as MON was so fond of doing he gave Petrov a stupid contract

He still has two years to run so if he does leave we will have to give him a golden goodbye

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »
I also hope that this season is just a one off like Stan but shame about his legs i wish he was 5 years younger than he his now.

Offline supertommykN'iba

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 10:18:27 AM »
Still shocked about people saying that he isn't good enough etc. anymore. Since he's come back into the side he's been up there with our best performers week in, week out. He breaks up the play fantastically, and he has a cool head - vital for a central midfielder.

Yeah, he isn't the fastest, but with Reo-Coker, Makoun or Delph next to him, they're the sort of players who can make up for it. Hope we keep him.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:22:58 AM »
Can they all buy us dinner?

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 10:37:26 AM »
Buy having petrov as one of our best performers it highlights how shit we really are.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 10:41:16 AM »
Still capable of having a good 90 minutes (as we saw against Newcastle), just not every week. I'd keep him and let him go next Summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal