collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:52:38 PM]

Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 01:52:28 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:50:16 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Dave
[Today at 01:49:10 PM]

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 01:47:33 PM]

The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Mister E
[Today at 01:29:15 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:52:38 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 01:52:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:50:16 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Dave
[Today at 01:49:10 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by eamonn
[Today at 01:48:07 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 01:47:33 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Olneythelonely
[Today at 01:47:05 PM]

Re: The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Record TV revenue for Premiership teams  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Record TV revenue for Premiership teams
« on: May 09, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »
sportinglife.com

The Premier League will pay out record sums in TV money this season, with the bottom club guaranteed at least £37million and the champions earning more than £57million.

The bumper new overseas television deals will see top-flight clubs earning on average nearly £5million more a year than last season.

Although the Premier League have never confirmed the overall value of the overseas TV rights, it can now be calculated that they have doubled from £625million during 2007-10 to around £1.2billion over the next three seasons.

That sum is about 10 times the amount Germany's Bundesliga receives for foreign TV rights, five times what Italy receives and three times the amount Spain's La Liga earns.

The Premier League also has the most equitable distribution of the major European leagues - it has the smallest difference between the champions and the bottom club in terms of the split of TV money.

England's top club will earn less than double that of the bottom club from TV money, around 1.6 times as much.

By contrast, in Spain where TV rights are negotiated on a club-by-club basis Real Madrid and Barcelona earn 19 times more than the smallest clubs in La Liga.

The Premier League distributes TV rights money based partly on performance, partly via equal shares of TV income, and partly on the number of times a club's matches are screened live on domestic television.

This season, each club will receive £13.8million as the equal share of domestic TV rights and £17.7million as the equal share of overseas TV rights.

On top of that, every place in the Premier League table is worth £752,000 - the bottom club will get that amount and the top club £15.04million.

Facility fees of £485,000 are paid to a club every time they play in a live TV match - with a minimum income of £4.85million even if a club has been involved in fewer than 10 live games.

The top four clubs usually play in at least 20 live TV games a season, meaning they will earn around £10million in facility fees.

The Premier League will also pay out £16million each in parachute payments to the three relegated clubs.

The figures also show why there has been such interest from the Old Firm clubs in joining the Premier League - Celtic and Rangers only earn around £3million each from SPL television rights.

Football finance expert Simon Chadwick, professor of sports business at Coventry University, said the figures showed the need for balance in football competitions.

Chadwick said: "To have balanced competitions you have to have fair and equitable distribution of revenues.

"What the Premier League have done by allocating this extra £5million from overseas TV is say 'we know we can't increase the disparity between top and bottom'.

"In Spain, there is huge unhappiness with all the La Liga clubs, apart from Barcelona and Real Madrid, now petitioning the Government to change how they distribute television money."

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Record TV revenue for Premiership teams
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
I'd prefer to see all the TV revenue equally divided amongst all clubs. It will never happen though, it's all about keeping the Top 4 as rich as possible so that they can successfully compete in the Champions League. Nothing else matters.

This more than anything is why I hate football.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
It is the Champions League money that really creates the divide.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 03:25:38 PM »
I'd prefer to see all the TV revenue equally divided amongst all clubs. It will never happen though, it's all about keeping the Top 4 as rich as possible so that they can successfully compete in the Champions League. Nothing else matters.

This more than anything is why I hate football.

Spot on.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 03:46:37 PM »

Sure but how do they get there? Add to that sponsorship deals, nobody outside the top 4 will ever win the league again.
I mentioned the other day, I can recall looking at the start of the season and there were realistically eleven teams that stood a chance of winning the league. Now there's what, two maybe three?

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »

Sure but how do they get there? Add to that sponsorship deals, nobody outside the top 4 will ever win the league again.
I mentioned the other day, I can recall looking at the start of the season and there were realistically eleven teams that stood a chance of winning the league. Now there's what, two maybe three?

I've accepted we'll never win the league again in my lifetime. I'm 42.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 04:01:30 PM »
The only hope is they all fcuk off to some Euro Super League where all games are played in Qatar.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »
The only hope is they all fcuk off to some Euro Super League where all games are played in Qatar.

That, or we get taken over by some mental Man City style benefactor.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »
Sooner or later, the silly money will stop and then some sort of balance will return.

And dont worry about Paulie's words. He's only 42 but he dies in a gardening accident in three years. We win the league in 2017/18.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »
Sooner or later, the silly money will stop and then some sort of balance will return.

And dont worry about Paulie's words. He's only 42 but he dies in a gardening accident in three years. We win the league in 2017/18.

It sounds credible without the gardening bit, too.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »

The only way we'll get parity is if some of these clubs finances go beyond stretching point and there is no new benefactor to pick up the pieces.

The more likely scenario is Sky refusing to continue to pay top dollar for the coverage.

Offline glasses

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 05:00:24 PM »
So, according to the average, Aston Villa FC earned £5m more than the previous year in TV revenue, yet still increased Season ticket prices.

Enough is enough, not one more penny of my cash is going into football.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
So, according to the average, Aston Villa FC earned £5m more than the previous year in TV revenue, yet still increased Season ticket prices.

Enough is enough, not one more penny of my cash is going into football.

Yes, but our attendances have dropped, it all adds up.

Offline glasses

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »
And why have the attendances dropped? Could it be people are sick of footballers being overpaid, TV companies moving Kick off times to whenever suits them so they can pay the overpaid footballers millions, and the average fan on the street suffers price increases. The price increase is not very much, but its the principle that they went up at all that irks me. The thing that really pisses my off is when fans try to justify having the piss took out of them.
Its not the Villa that annoys me, its the whole of football

Offline Simba

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »
It's lots of cash but still clubs are going into administration like never before. The issue IMHO is players salaries. I mean 80% of Gross in Salaries? It is after all a bloody business. No wonder MoN was let go.

So Mark K is right. If you are selling the Premier League as a complete entity then all involved should recieve the same amount of reward.

If not, as it is, we end up like Scotland or Spain.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal