collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Prediction for the rest of the season and the close season  (Read 22928 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Prediction for the rest of the season and the close season
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 08:12:18 PM »
Bobby Martinez is a nice fella and tries to get his side playing football but he's nowhere near qualified to take the Villa job.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »
Bobby Martinez is a nice fella and tries to get his side playing football but he's nowhere near qualified to take the Villa job.

Houllier is well qualified and look how well he's done.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
Villa appoint Moyes, MON takes Everton job, both sets of fans try to convince them selves that the football is now better under MON MOY than under MOY MON,

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
I really don't see why moyes would come here

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 09:30:45 PM »
In comes Roberto Martinez as Manager (with Ngobia in the same taxi.).

I thought this would be a good idea, but my only concern is Villa fans. When Wigan were passing it around, and not always getting anywhere, there was lots of people at the game commenting things like "why can't we pass it around like that?", but when we get the ball and pass it around a bit, you get the same people shouting "FUCKING GET IT FORWARD - WE'RE FUCKING GOING NOWHERE!!!".

And therein lies the problem with passing and biding your time. Villa fans just aren't patient enough. So, in conclusion, whilst I'd like to see Martinez be given a chance at Villa, I don't think it'd be fair on him as the fans would expect us to be able to pass the ball well instantly, not realising it takes time to change.

aye. lets be honest, the majority of our fans aren't know for their appreciation of the finer aspects of football - results have always taken priority over style of play which i suppose is the bottom line for most clubs. But its seems particulary ingrained with us and why MON got away with hoofball for so long.

Offline mozza

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
After yesterday's poor showing against mighty Wigan ............

No more points - no more goals for but a few put past us by the teams in red

The 'away'support having a party and a half at the Emirates giving everyone the impression
we have enjoyed this season immensely

Randy realises that even a fully fit Gerard Houllier & his assistant MacAllister were the wrong choice
and appoints David Moyes

Current season ticket holders renew without complaint and introduce 5mates apiece to the joys
of following the lads 

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 09:56:34 PM »
1 point from the last two games.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 10:40:25 PM »
Lerner will acknowledge his mistake in appointing Faulkner and adopting his wage reduction strategy

You are funny, VillaDawg.

I'm surprised,given his (since August, brief break for about 7 days after we signed Bent) Lerner hatred that Villadawg hasn't retired the "Dawg" part of his username in protest.

I think the hatred is directed at Faulkner, not Lerner. In Dawgworld, Faulkner obviously ignores Randy Lerner's directions. Why else would he have asked you know who to reduce the wage bill?

I don't hate anyone at Aston Villa.

It's true that I haven't been in support of the board's strategy since they changed it last year but it was in July not August, at the point it became clear that the strategy of investment in the squad was going to change (sell-to-buy, reduce wages). I said at the time that I felt a failure to invest was likely to end our chance of making a breakthrough. I haven't seen anything since then to cause me to change my mind that we're pursuing the wrong strategy.

My issue with Faulkner is based on my view that when a new CEO is appointed and a new strategy is adopted at the same time, you can't divorce the two. If one goes, both go. That's just business.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »
I think we can all pinpoint your gigantic about turn to the exact day it happened.

We spent 30 million pounds in the January window, and still you're banging on about a failure to invest.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:36:25 PM by pauliebentnuts »

Offline villa-love

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 10:46:04 PM »
I am convinced we're going to get relegated :(

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2011, 11:35:10 PM »
I have a question for people who remember us getting relegated. I was only 9 when we survived in 1994/95, so not all that in the know how poor we were that time, this has been the worst season since we last went down, surely?

It was just painful from start to finish, I found it very hard to take. Everythign about the club has been so stale and listless.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2011, 11:38:25 PM »
I said at the time that I felt a failure to invest was likely to end our chance of making a breakthrough. I haven't seen anything since then to cause me to change my mind that we're pursuing the wrong strategy.

The problem is that continual investment in players and an ever-increasing wage bill without Champions League revenues isn't a sustainable strategy.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
I have a question for people who remember us getting relegated. I was only 9 when we survived in 1994/95, so not all that in the know how poor we were that time, this has been the worst season since we last went down, surely?

It was just painful from start to finish, I found it very hard to take. Everythign about the club has been so stale and listless.

I said yesterday to the chap that sits next to me that this season reminds me of 86-87, but then I was thinking about it later last night, and it's not really as bad.

For all Houllier's faults (and there are a lot of them), I do think he cares. Billy McNeill never gave a flying fuck for Aston Villa, he didn't want to be here, and that permeated everything.

I think the difference this time is that the staleness and listlessness of this season is accentuated by the fact that over the last few years, everything has been so positive.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2011, 11:38:57 PM »
I am convinced we're going to get relegated :(

Despite the very best efforts of the squad and management I can't see it happening now. Though it was a bad weekend for us.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:44:12 PM by Irish villain »

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2011, 11:40:52 PM »
compared to turner/mcneil this has been a breeze. venglos was pretty bad as well

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal