collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carew on Houllier  (Read 11744 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Carew on Houllier
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 02:33:59 PM »
I too don't think Carew was the only one at fault, so I think you're right there.

My point was that it's all very well of Carew to point the finger at Houllier, but it is a bt laughable considering his own inability to give a shit this season.

Incidentally, re the games he started - what about the other ones? Why shouldn't be have given a shit in those, too? And why only look at the games he started under Houllier? What about the matches before that?

I think we did pretty well in the games he started before Houllier took over.

Including Newcastle away?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
he was half-assed through the majority of MON's reign so i don't get this "only shit after GH took over" revisionism. Yes he scored goals when he was fit/could be bothered but as others have said with bent here now, he looks a very expensive luxury sub. Be interesting to see if Stoke sign him up this summer

Offline Nirog72

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 03:00:16 PM »
I am no Houllier fan but Carew can fcuk right off. At his best unplayable but what's the point in that ability, strength and potential star quality when you just can't be fucked to turn it on each week?

John, here's a tip. Those players you see on TV described as 'stars' have some ability but they also take the responsibility to appreciate their ability and seek to change every game they play in. Not just one in 10. I suspect Houllier knows that.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 03:04:26 PM »
I too don't think Carew was the only one at fault, so I think you're right there.

My point was that it's all very well of Carew to point the finger at Houllier, but it is a bt laughable considering his own inability to give a shit this season.

Incidentally, re the games he started - what about the other ones? Why shouldn't be have given a shit in those, too? And why only look at the games he started under Houllier? What about the matches before that?

I think we did pretty well in the games he started before Houllier took over.

Including Newcastle away?

His other 4 starts Pre-Houllier were wins over West Ham, Everton and Blackburn(LC) and Norway's Euro Championship qualifier win over Portugal. So yes, we did pretty well in the games Carew started, even if you include the Newcastle game.

I think people forget that we were doing OK in 5th place after our first 6 games of the season and yes I know Houllier was on the bench for the Wolves game.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 03:18:37 PM »
This half arsed line makes me laugh. We still have a squad full of that.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »
This half arsed line makes me laugh. We still have a squad full of that.

well yes. But until we start shipping them out there's not much we can do. Hopefully someone will finally give MON a job and we can offload them to him...

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »
Hopefully someone will finally give MON a job and we can offload them to him...

Poor ol' MON must be pulling his newly thatched hair out. Just when Sunderland look like they'll come a knocking, the bastards go and win again. Yesterday they got the winner in the 93rd minute. Maybe he used up all his luck at the Villa.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 03:43:15 PM »
Hopefully someone will finally give MON a job and we can offload them to him...

Poor ol' MON must be pulling his newly thatched hair out. Just when Sunderland look like they'll come a knocking, the bastards go and win again. Yesterday they got the winner in the 93rd minute. Maybe he used up all his luck at the Villa.

He'll be at norwich come November. Their current manager seems to think he's MON already so why employ a cheap copy when you can have the genuine faux intellectual hoof merchant?

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 03:46:31 PM »
It would be quite sweet if he went to Norwich after Lambert came to us.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
  • GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 03:55:27 PM »
I'd like to see the new manager (yes, new manager, please) call all of the loanees back for the close season and take a look at the whole squad before deciding which are worthy of the 25 shirts. That would be Carew's chance to impress - the enmity between him and Houllier goes way back and I don't think he ever stood a chance with GH as manager whatever the circumstances - and if he doesn't, then let him go.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
I'd like to see the new manager (yes, new manager, please) call all of the loanees back for the close season and take a look at the whole squad before deciding which are worthy of the 25 shirts. That would be Carew's chance to impress - the enmity between him and Houllier goes way back and I don't think he ever stood a chance with GH as manager whatever the circumstances - and if he doesn't, then let him go.
Carew is out of contract

Offline Diablo

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 04:04:43 PM »
I'd rather have Darren Bent.

All day long. 

But would rather have Carew than Heskey.

All day long

Houllier's man management especially with the older players has been cataclysmic!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:10:11 PM by Diablo »

Offline joecrow

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »
happy when we swapped him for baros but equally happy when he left. no love for the club.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 05:20:59 PM »
His other 4 starts Pre-Houllier were wins over West Ham, Everton and Blackburn(LC) and Norway's Euro Championship qualifier win over Portugal. So yes, we did pretty well in the games Carew started, even if you include the Newcastle game.

I think people forget that we were doing OK in 5th place after our first 6 games of the season and yes I know Houllier was on the bench for the Wolves game.

So you are including West Ham where Carew missed four sitters IIRC, Everton where we defended for most of the match and a Blackburn league game where we only scored because Carew was taken off for Heskey. And I don't even know why you are including a Norwegian match as they have no bearing on Villa or who is in charge. And as for the Newcastle match, Carew disappeared after 12 mins when he missed the pen.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2011, 06:02:39 PM »
When Carew joined he came as an idle troublesome bastard who played when he wanted and spent most of the season upsetting his manager and club.
He continued in the same style, only scoring goals against poorer clubs and usually only when he was in trouble with the manager and the club or the season was over.
Despite the desire for some to build him into a legend, to rewrite the facts, time and again he remains the same twat he was before he joined.
Next to Ireland, another 'Legend' in the making he remains top of my get rid list.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal