collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:55:33 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:45:28 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa start Downing talks - 'He can play central midfield' says McAllister  (Read 11109 times)

Offline Matt Collins

I absolutely think he can play in the middle; either in the position AY has played in this year or as part of a 3. Couldn't see him playing in the middle in a 4-4-2.

I'm a bit perplexed at why McAllister is quite so hated on here. I'm not saying he's the right man for the job, but I don't see how anyone has the evidence that it's him that's the biggest of all our problems. There clearly is a coaching problem we can't defend. Our coach is Gordon Cowans but he's obviously beyond reproach.

Offline Countryside Villain

• GM : 11.05.2016
That makes a lot of sense, a player who can't tackle or head a ball in centre-midfield... wonder whats next?

He put in his fair share of tackles yesterday (actually, checking the chalkboard, it was 4 and he won them all).  He'll never be in the mould of Gerrard but as an attacking midfielder, he could do the job.  I admit I'd rather somebody else did it though.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
I think it could work with the right players around him, he's got the intelligence and eye for a pass.

Whilst I agree with you on that, I'd much prefer he worked on his final ball into the box. If he can get that right, we'll have one hell of a player.
As things stand today, we already know Makoun can't tackle, to throw Stewart in central midfield would make us even more lightweight there than we are now. Difficult to imagine, I know.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
He can play central midfield in a three IMHO. Thing is I'd rather have him out wide.

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
                 Bent

Gabby                    Albrighton

Downing

Coker      Makoun

I don't see why it sounds so unimaginable to some people.

The 'downing' position could be covered by bannan/gabby quite well too I think.

Offline Greg N'Ash

Bent

Gabby                    Albrighton

Downing

Coker      Makoun

I don't see why it sounds so unimaginable to some people.

The 'downing' position could be covered by bannan/gabby quite well too I think.

perhaps, but i'd want someone better than coker in there. Someone who can pass for a start.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

but i'd want someone better than coker in there. Someone who can pass for a start.

Gregory, this is 2011, things have changed, have you been sleeping for the last 12 months?.

You're in for a great surprise, who'll never guess which centre forward we bought for £18m...

Offline Greg N'Ash

heh. i like reo-coker to be honest and i thought he was pretty good the first year here but i still don't understand why MON bought him given the formation we ended up playing when Milner arrived. If he stays i'd like to see him at the bottom of a diamond formation, Makoun and someone good in the middle with Downing perhaps at the top, with bent and gabby/someone good up front.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
but i'd want someone better than coker in there. Someone who can pass for a start.

Gregory, this is 2011, things have changed, have you been sleeping for the last 12 months?.

You're in for a great surprise, who'll never guess which centre forward we bought for £18m

He can't pass. Or at least not to the standard required for a team with aspirations to compete at the business end of the table. He needs three touches and time just to pass it square ten yard. He's got plenty of good qualities and was probably our best player yesterday but a central midfield with him in it just too slow and predictable.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

You're in for a great surprise, who'll never guess which centre forward we bought for £18m

He can't pass. Or at least not to the standard required for a team with aspirations to compete at the business end of the table. He needs three touches and time just to pass it square ten yard. He's got plenty of good qualities and was probably our best player yesterday but a central midfield with him in it just too slow and predictable.
By the same logic we may as well fuck Downing off now as he can't cross a ball so he's no good on the wing and he can't tackle, so no good in central midfield.  The fact that Downing and NRC have been our best and most consistant performers  says so much about this season.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Reo Coker's away for sure.  I still cling to the hope that Delph will get his chance next season.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

I cling to the hope Delph is as good as we talk him up. I really would have liked to have seen him come off the bench yesterday to replace Petrov. The lad needs experience and he's currently getting as they say in Yorkshire, nowt.

Offline Greg N'Ash

By the same logic we may as well fuck Downing off now as he can't cross a ball so he's no good on the wing and he can't tackle, so no good in central midfield.  The fact that Downing and NRC have been our best and most consistant performers  says so much about this season.

we lost milner, he was our best midfielder by a country mile, and the ex-manager decided to replace him with a fruitcake. given the money spent on him and the necessity to bring in a goalscorer for a shitload of money, we've struggled Mark. I'm sure given a blank chequebook GH would have bought more players in defence and midfield but we were never going to spend that sort of money.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
I absolutely think he can play in the middle; either in the position AY has played in this year or as part of a 3. Couldn't see him playing in the middle in a 4-4-2.

I'm a bit perplexed at why McAllister is quite so hated on here. I'm not saying he's the right man for the job, but I don't see how anyone has the evidence that it's him that's the biggest of all our problems. There clearly is a coaching problem we can't defend. Our coach is Gordon Cowans but he's obviously beyond reproach.

I think he comes across fairly well when he speaks.  I just think he's been speaking too much presently about transfers - something that is not within his remit of a coaching role.  Cowans is a club legend, hence people don't want to implicate him, rightly or wrongly.  But they've all let themselves down this year to varying degrees.

I'd like us to actually sign a good enough central midfielder and leave a perfectly decent winger on the wing.  Revolutionary I know!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
I like SD he has been our best player this season i would keep him out wide that's what we brought him for to supply the forwards i don't think he would make a good central midfielder anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal