collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa start Downing talks - 'He can play central midfield' says McAllister  (Read 11098 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
sportinglife.com

Aston Villa have opened initial talks with representatives of winger Stewart Downing regarding a new contract.

Downing still has two years remaining of the current deal he signed when moving from Middlesbrough for a then club-record £12 million during the summer of 2009.

But Villa caretaker boss Gary McAllister is aware of the need to ensure Downing remains at the club on a long-term basis, particularly with a major doubt hanging over the future of Ashley Young.

McAllister said: "Stewart has got two years left and we are getting into that area where it's coming into our vision.

"It's in progress at the moment. We are starting to make contact with his agent.

"We have to keep good players here."

McAllister admits he would vote for Downing as Villa's player of the year and believes he is capable of becoming an England regular.

The former Middlesbrough player impressed during the friendly international against Ghana at Wembley in March.

McAllister said: "It's been a very mixed season but Stewart has been very consistent - especially for a forward player in a team that hasn't been playing as well as it can.

"He would be my pick as our player of the year. I think him having been injury-free is massive. I don't think he has missed a day's training.

"He came here on crutches (signed when had a broken foot). I think he will gain a lot of confidence from this year.

"Getting another pre-season under his belt, he will benefit from that. There's more to come from him.

"Another wee target for Stewart is that he has always been in and around that England squad.

"The question is can he go and become a part of the team? I feel he has enough in his locker to do that."

McAllister also believes Downing is capable of following the example of previous Villa players in Gareth Barry and James Milner in switching from a wide role into central midfield.

He said: "We have looked at that. It's something we have spoken about a lot. We gave him a little run over there against Birmingham at St. Andrew's.

"He has got a fantastic shot that doesn't require much of a back lift so, if we can get him in the central areas and with a sight of goal, you could see us working that in pre-season.

"He has two great feet. I would categorise Stewart a wee bit differently to Gareth and James.

"That's no disrespect to them but Stewart has a wee bit more in the attacking third.

"Sometimes you need to change things and it's good to know you have players who can adapt."

If nothing else proves McAllister is clueless, the belief that he could play central midfield does.

Central midfielders are normally expected to put tackles in.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Yeah, let's play him centrally so we can play another winger.  Let's play DOwning and Young in the centre with Walker and Albrighton on the right and sign Shaun Wright Phillips and Aaron Lennon to play wide left.  Maybe Adam Johnson in goal.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
'He sodding well can't' says anyone who has ever seen him play.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
As I said on a different thread, I could not give a flying fuck about what McAllister says.
Hopefully, next season, he will have no influence about what goes on at the Villa as he will have long gone.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Why is Gary McAllister talking so much anyway?  I don't buy the "he's just answering questions" thing.   He KEEPS talking about next season and transfers.  Surely transfers are nothing to do with him? 

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
Why is Gary McAllister talking so much anyway?  I don't buy the "he's just answering questions" thing.   He KEEPS talking about next season and transfers.  Surely transfers are nothing to do with him? 

and let's hope that next season has nothing to do with him.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
He played there for Boro during their Uefa Cup run and did'nt look too bad. I'm not sure it'll work for us though.

He played there for Boro during their Uefa Cup run and did'nt look too bad. I'm not sure it'll work for us though.
They only way it could possibly work is if he was part of a 3 man central midfield, partnered by two class, hard working and hard tackling players.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

God no.

Out wide is where he belongs

Offline ez

Is McAllister unaware that Houllier and himself almost certainly won't be with us next season.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
I think it could work with the right players around him, he's got the intelligence and eye for a pass.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
They only way it could possibly work is if he was part of a 3 man central midfield, partnered by two class, hard working and hard tackling players.

I feel dirty but I think I agree with you Fletch!

I'd still prefer to play wingers on the wing though and centre-mids in centre-mid.

It seems to have been the standard practice at the Villa over the past few years though that if we want someone to feel special we play them in centre mid.  It happened with Barry, Milner and Ash.  Maybe with the certainty of Ash leaving the management are trying to tempt Downing to stay by offering him this prospect.

For what it's worth I think Downing's been our best player this season.  Yes he can't tackle or head a ball (although his goal at Stoke was great) but this season he's scored a few goals which is what he needs to do to justify his price tag.  We should be playing him on the wing but encourage him to cut inside more as he's got a decent shot on him with both feet.

Offline Greg N'Ash

Hopefully with Young realistically leaving we'll do away with having 2 widemen. I'd rather see us with two attacking full backs and a bit more strength in midfield. 1 winger is enough.

Offline achilles

That makes a lot of sense, a player who can't tackle or head a ball in centre-midfield... wonder whats next?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal