collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The petulance of Ashley Young  (Read 25242 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: The petulance of Ashley Young
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2011, 02:06:53 PM »
The brute fact is that the £15-20million we will get for him will be better for us than keeping the player now.

I think that's ambitious.  He's only got one year left on his contract - £12m would be the most I reckon we'll get.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »
I hope his replacement doesn't use bad language.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »
I know. Seems though that many have been offended by it though. Pathetic really.

I'm sorry SH but it is not 'pathetic' to expect someone who has a wonderful lifestyle, a job any of us would give our left arm for, and is paid obscene amounts of money to be a role model to kids to behave like a professional and not scream profanities at his colleagues in the full gaze of the watching world.

For large parts of this season he's been the club's captain and that sort of behaviour is nothing like what should be expected of Aston Villa's captain.

There will be kids who've watched that who will want to emulate their hero.  I don't want a generation of kids who think shouting 'fuck off' when they do something good at work is acceptable.  Rooney apologised when he did it directly into a camera.  Although I'm not saying Ash should publicly apologise the principle that he's done something wrong is exactly the same.

If you gave your left arm to become a footballer, wouldn't that then mean you couldn't become one? (Professional in the Premier League that is).

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
If you gave your left arm to become a footballer, wouldn't that then mean you couldn't become one? (Professional in the Premier League that is).

I once played football against someone with only one arm.  Absolutely bizarre.  Didn't feel like it was fair on him.  Thankfully he was rubbish or I'd have got some stick off the lads.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »
Ashley needs taking down a peg or two. Going to Man Utd, or any big club, and being surrounded by much better and bigger players than him will do wonders for his game. I don't think he'll lose much of the petulance, because that stuff is only magnified with those teams, but I'm sure his game will mature as he settles down to a job that he's TOLD to do, rather than one he himself demands. 

Agreed, Jimbo. He'll also have to put the interests of the team before his own. Great player but he's his own worst enemy.

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »
agree 100% - I cheered when he was booked.

And I tell you this, he was lucky to be on the pitch coz he clearly dived in the first half trying to get a penalty = something no one seems to have picked up on.

He did not throw himself to the ground on this occasion.

A defender was slyly tugging his shirt from behind and when he let go Ash stumbled forward. One of Newton's Laws of Motion.

Maybe if he had a bungy jump rope tied round his waste but a bit of shirt pulling? I know he's a streak of piss but I'm afraid he's a cheat, dives better than Tom Daley and moans like hell at every opportunity. Saying all that I had to defend him, and me, when awarding him the MOTM against West Ham. Its a sad fact but football changed when the rules changed and you couldn't tackle anyone with any commitment.

From what I remember in the 80's nobody was booked for diving, you went down because Allan Evans hacked you down and you got up off your arse to get it back, not rolled around crying like a fucking baby. I'm going to bed.   

The bungy dump rope analogy makes no sense at all in this context and you seem to be crying like a fucking baby yourself.

I'm at ease with my analogy thanks. May I suggest you lay off the Stella.

I apologise for the abusive nature of my post, Kingthing, and you are quite right that alcohol was involved in no small measure.

No Worries.
xx

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2011, 08:17:04 PM »
I wasn't offended about it, and am not blaming Ash here, but it was another sign of ongoing dressing room unrest if it was aimed at another Villa player as people who get on don't normally speak to each other like that, especially when they should be celebrating together. More of a concern really. It could have been aimed at a Wigan player though, that was my first impression anyway.

Offline mozza

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2011, 10:03:53 PM »
Absolutely. Take our best player out of the team and we'll be better for it!

Fucking hell!

Yes - why not ?

It's happened countless times before and we have survived and arguably become better for it

I cried my eyes out when Gerry Hitchens went to Italy and wasn't chuffed when Platt & Yorkie
went to further their careers elsewhere

No one player is bigger than the club, but I get the impression that young Ashley maybe
thinks he is ?   

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »
Because, whilst we might have got away with it on other occasions, that doesn't mean it's always a good idea, that's why.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »
I cheered when he got booked. Not because he isn't a good player, in fact I remarked on his work rate to the chap next to me on Saturday, but because for all of the second half he continually slung insults at the lino.

Every single decision that didn't go our way and he was mouthing off. The tipping point for me being the lino getting pelters for not awarding us a throw in when the ball quite clearly rebounded of his calf and over the touchline.

I like passion, I like that he cares, but I wish he would pick his battles better. Oh well, he won't be here to start these kind of debates next year.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2011, 06:37:24 PM »
I like passion, I like that he cares, but I wish he would pick his battles better. Oh well, he won't be here to start these kind of debates next year.

..and there's not many clubs that will let him grab the ball to take free kicks and balloon 90% of them over the bar.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2011, 06:42:46 PM »
Can we change the thread title to The petulance of Villa fans.

Or the cantankerousness of Villa fans.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
When he plays for Man Utd/Chelsea/Man City, he'll become one of the most hated players in the Premier League. It's only because he plays for us that he's not a notorius as he should be for constantly behaving like a 5-year old.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2011, 12:45:23 AM »

I once played football against someone with only one arm.  Absolutely bizarre.  Didn't feel like it was fair on him.  Thankfully he was rubbish or I'd have got some stick off the lads.

Maybe he'd have been better playing outfield.

Offline WA Villan

« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2011, 01:59:48 AM »
Absolutely. Take our best player out of the team and we'll be better for it!

Fucking hell!

Yes - why not ?

It's happened countless times before and we have survived and arguably become better for it

I cried my eyes out when Gerry Hitchens went to Italy and wasn't chuffed when Platt & Yorkie
went to further their careers elsewhere

No one player is bigger than the club, but I get the impression that young Ashley maybe
thinks he is ?   

Agree with this, Getting a bit fed up with all this Ash Young stuff. I struggle with why Young thinks he may be better than others, when all I see is pretty basic average footballer. His free kicks and corners are dismal and surprisingly he has adopted a Billy big Bollocks attitude based on this crappy football. If we can get 12 mill for him and its spent wisely, Young is very replaceable  for what he does.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal