collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by paul_e
[Today at 11:53:33 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McAllister 'Difficult to keep Ashley'  (Read 12722 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
McAllister 'Difficult to keep Ashley'
« on: May 06, 2011, 09:30:08 AM »
sportinglife.com

Gary McAllister admits the lure of Champions League football may make it difficult for Aston Villa to keep hold of Ashley Young after this season.

Caretaker-manager McAllister refuses to accept it is inevitable Young, who has only year left of his contract, will move from Villa Park.

But he knows what it means to play on the biggest club stage after tasting it with Liverpool at the tail end of his distinguished career.

McAllister, who continues to deputise while manager Gerard Houllier recovers from his heart problems, said: "I don't think it's inevitable Ashley will go.

"We will do everything we can to keep him here. He has become an England player playing for Aston Villa.

"The partnership of him and Darren Bent has looked exciting for Fabio Capello, for sure. The grass is also not always greener somewhere else but we are not silly. We have to be realistic.

"All players have ambition to play in the Champions League.

"We can't give them that. It's a goal but we all know how difficult it is to get up there.

"You can always understand the lure of playing in that competition. I managed to get a touch of it as a balding old man (with Liverpool) and it is a great experience."

McAllister knows Young will have to come to terms with being more under the microscope if he joins one of the top four clubs compared to at Villa.

He said: "It's difficult because you know how high the expectation levels are here.

"But when you go to these other clubs - I'm talking about the top four or five where the pressure is on - then the microscope becomes even greater.

"The criticism becomes greater because each and every little move is under scrutiny. Some people can't deal with it."

McAllister is quick to praise Young for the way he has remained focused on helping Villa in their relegation battle.

He said: "The facts are that Ashley could have been distracted with all the talk.

"There's not a day passed when he hasn't been linked with somebody but he is a good professional.

"Maybe in games he's been a wee bit up and down - but he gives 100%"

McAllister confirmed Villa plan to hold talks with midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker, who is out of contract in the summer, over his future.

He said: "We spoke the last time in November, December but we're fully aware of the situation and we'll be looking to speak to Nigel over the next two or three weeks.

"He's a player who's been very committed since we've arrived, when he's been in the team and out of the team.

"He's actually won his place in the team by the way he's gone about his training in the week and I applaud that."

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: McAllister 'Difficult to keep Ashley'
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 09:36:15 AM »
Is it just me or is GMac getting lots of media time at the moment? - he really ought to buutton it and get on with the job of preparing to win 3 points on Saturday.
I suspect this is his way of positioning himself into the role in advance of any announcement from Mr. GHou.

Offline K3Villa

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
Is it just me or is GMac getting lots of media time at the moment? - he really ought to buutton it and get on with the job of preparing to win 3 points on Saturday.
I suspect this is his way of positioning himself into the role in advance of any announcement from Mr. GHou.

Our manager is recovering from illness. He is the assistant so steps into all media sessions etc. Obvious really.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 09:44:50 AM »

Our manager is recovering from illness. He is the assistant so steps into all media sessions etc. Obvious really.
No, it's not obvious as you put it - do a quick media analysis of the number of press comments Mr GHou makes in an average week. I think you'll find that GMac has exceeded the average quite comfortably since he stepped into the breach.

Offline Markerton

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:48:46 AM »
TBH Young has annoyed me this season with his inconsistency. He plays excellent for England a couple matches for us, then the rest of the time he's playing worse than an 8 year old in a park. Saying that, mind, I don't think it's his fault. GH seems to enjoy playing him in the centre, which obviously doesn't work.

At present I'm more worried about losing Downing than Ash if I'm honest.

Saying that, I will still be disappointed if, or when, he goes.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »

No, it's not obvious as you put it - do a quick media analysis of the number of press comments Mr GHou makes in an average week. I think you'll find that GMac has exceeded the average quite comfortably since he stepped into the breach.
The day before a game the manager is obliged to give a press conference.

That is where the comments have come from.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 10:07:58 AM »
Paving the way for Young's exit, seemingly

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 10:15:02 AM »
It's all lip service to make it look as though the club are doing their upmost to keep him.

He's leaving and the club knew that months ago.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »

So would you prefer him conduct his press conference in silence?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 10:20:29 AM »
I reckon he will leave i don't want him to go but i think he will.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 10:23:08 AM »
"All players have ambition to play in the Champions League. We can't give them that."

This is all we need to know about where we are now as a football club. As for Ashley, he'll certainly go, as will any other player with a sniff of CL football. 

Offline Mister E

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 10:27:11 AM »

He's been verbal all week. I know there is a scheduled Press conference; it's just my observation that he has been far more vocal in the media than GHou normally is.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »
This Ashley Young stuff is getting boring if you ask me

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »

I'd like to see him do it through the medium of mime.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 10:37:57 AM »
This Ashley Young stuff is getting boring if you ask me

agree..         

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal