collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reo-Coker awaits Villa offer  (Read 16677 times)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Re: Reo-Coker awaits Villa offer
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »
Limited footballer, spent most of his career on the bench or banished. £8m down the drain.

He'll want an increase and I suspect we can get better. With our managers future uncertain I really wouldn't renew anyones contract of that type. Only top players should have their contracts renewed

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 09:25:52 PM »
Would keep him but not at a vastly increased salary and i reckon the club will think much the same so expect him to be off as he'll get a bigger deal elsewhere. Expect him to wind up at Newcastle or Blackburn.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »
I'd let him go.

I think Makoun will be consistantly good next season and Delph will finally step up.

Keep Petrov as cover, Bannan aswell and use the Young money on a good attacking midfiielder who scores from open play and can pick up a pass.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »
Self acclaimed best box to box midfielder in his own world. Which is pretty good because he can't pass, never seen him head a ball, can't go past people and as a midfield ball winner pretty average. Offers nothing we couldn't get cheaper and better. Another 8M Mon wasted!

Spot on.  Jog on Nigel.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »
We'll  call a  taxi cab for Nigel
We've got no fat contract for him

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »
Self acclaimed best box to box midfielder in his own world. Which is pretty good because he can't pass, never seen him head a ball, can't go past people and as a midfield ball winner pretty average. Offers nothing we couldn't get cheaper and better. Another 8M Mon wasted!

Spot on.  Jog on Nigel.

Absolutely. As average as average gets. I am always mystified at how people laud qualities about Coker that I would consider the basics in a Sunday league player. It says a lot that people can actually remember specific good passes he has made or moves that he has been involved in when trying to claim he is any good. That tells you what he is like the other 98% of the time

Get rid please

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 11:14:14 PM »

Harsh.

Generous. He forgot to mention he can't score for toffee either...

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 11:25:17 PM »
When we signed him I justified it as MON needing squad players and though he'd be in the stiffs after a season or two.  The fact he's still sniffing around the 1st team is more a sign of how little we've progressed in that part of the pitch than the progress he's made as a player.

He's still a basic squad player.  If he wants to accept basic squad player wages then we should keep him.  If he thinks he's worth £40k a week he's welcome to find someone stupid enough to pay it.

Offline Nirog72

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 12:57:17 AM »
If Delph hadn't got his injury I suspect he would have spent the first half of the season in the reserves and been sold in January. I actually think he could have a role to play as a squad player and love the effort he puts into the game but we have better players here and there are better players available. Also if he stays he will block one of the kids coming through which should be avoided in my opinion. It feels like a bit of a waste of money in hindsight but it isn't my money so I won't lose sleep over it.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 08:58:24 AM »
He's an okay squad player, but will want ridiculous wages next year. I'd let him go.

Offline Merv

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »
One of our worst players this season, humiliate publicly and march him out of the door...

If he accepts a reasonable offer - one that at least puts him on a parity with Habib Beye - I'd keep him. He's shown signs this season of maturing into the role he's always been destined for and my concern is, with Petrov surely moving on, Bradley unproven and unlikely to stay, Delph and Bannan still relatively inexperienced at this level and Makoun settling in, we'll be left with a lot of midfield holes to fill if NRC leaves too.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »
Limited footballer, spent most of his career on the bench or banished. £8m down the drain.

He'll want an increase and I suspect we can get better. With our managers future uncertain I really wouldn't renew anyones contract of that type. Only top players should have their contracts renewed

bang On

Give Delph a run

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 09:21:28 AM »
With all this bullshit about Italian clubs after him and the reality of English clubs showing an interest, he'll want a rise plus a hefty signing on fee.
And for what?
Although I think he makes a good member of the squad, I would want a better midfielder partnering Makoun/Delph.

So unless he's prepared to accept the same terms, which he won't, it's goodbye to the man who always looks like he's about to burst into tears.

Offline Merv

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 09:53:04 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily have him as a starter next season - for me it's Makoun plus a new midfield signing if we go with two in the middle, with NRC and Delph adding competition. Reo-Coker's 26 - another three year deal can still represent good value.

Still, as for what I think will happen, he'll go. He's so close to being a free agent now that I think the temptation to pull in a big signing-on fee will prove too much; to his agent, as much as anyone. I wouldn't rule out Spurs being interested.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »
I actually think NRC, Makoun and Delph are an ideal trio to pick any two from to complement wide flyers like Downing, Young and Albrighton.
Nigel has been limited because he was the only decent tackler, put him alongside another battler and give them chance to bed in properly.
I am not sure if we can afford the luxury of an Arteta with two flyers on the outside and Bent up front. Success in attack and defence stems from a strong midfield, most of that is workmanlike ability-as Milner proved.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal