collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Delfouneso returns to Villa  (Read 10727 times)

Offline TimTheVillain

Re: Delfouneso returns to Villa
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 02:25:41 PM »
It doesnt suprise me to see people writing him off after being horribly misused on loan. The same people would have written Gabby off too after a similar experience on loan. It's way too soon to say.

He wont be going anywhere yet in my opinion and is still a fantastic prospect.
Hopefully he'll get a proper spell as a STRIKER somewhere next season.

Actually, my opinion has nothing to do with Burnley, I just don't think he is good enough.

Based on what?

Difficult to be specific, but when he is played in the right position, he still looks lazy and doesn't seem to take up the right positions.  Just doesn't inspire confidence.  I would like him to prove me wrong.

Agree Phil, let's hope he proves us both wrong !

Offline supertom

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »
I think he'd be potentially good foil for Bent. In addition he's a decent finisher when he gets a chance. Give him some game time, hell, even the rest of the reason, up front with Bent. He'll learn a thing or two about positioning and making runs for starters.

I think he's stagnated. When he first burst onto the scene in Europe 2 years back I thought he'd progress quicker, but that hasn't happened. Why I don't know. I'm not entirely sure he'll be a top striker. I do think he's Prem quality given the chance but in all honesty, compared to Luke Moore when he first appeared, I don't think he's better. In fact I had higher hopes for Moore during his first couple of season, than I have for Fonzie.

Lets give him a couple of 90 minute run outs now we're safe (it's not mathematical, but seriously...no chance we'll go down. 0000.00000001%) and see if how he does with some extended game time.

What I will say for sure is that he's not a patch on Sturridge.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
For me the difference between Sturridge and the Fonz is the quality of the loan move - one went to a PL club playing as a striker and the other went to a Championship club and was played out of position.  That's not to say Nathan is better than him, just that had those roles be reversed opinions may well be aswell.

I think 2011/2012 is make of break for him, which may prove difficult as far as he's concerned if we revert to one up front.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 03:35:58 PM »

I think 2011/2012 is make of break for him, which may prove difficult as far as he's concerned if we revert to one up front.

Would 2011/12 be his third make or break season ?  This statement seems to get bounded about a lot for him.  I'm not saying he isn't good enough but there is a danger we will be filing him under Moore. L.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 03:40:41 PM »
Very true, but for me anyway he's had a few years of cameo appearances and it's now when he needs to make a real impact or I doubt he ever will.

Online Dave P

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 03:41:37 PM »
Very true, but for me anyway he's had a few years of cameo appearances and it's now when he needs to make a real impact or I doubt he ever will.

Thats spot on.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 03:50:20 PM »
With Bent and Gabby plus hopefully another coming in it will be difficult for him. He is a decent enough player and has a goalscoring record for us that is pretty solid but I don't really see him getting much of a chance to make a breakthrough.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 03:57:33 PM »
Sturridge is nearly 2 years older than Nathan.

He's got a lot going for him but it's now time to show that he can move beyond being a good prospect.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 04:06:55 PM »
I suppose it all depends on who comes in to manage us.
If they prefer 4-4-2 to 4-5-1.

Or even if they rate him full stop.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »
I remember when Gabby went to Sheff Wed.  I would always get the low down on his form from a customer of mine who is a big fan of Wednesday.  The reports that came back were not dissimilar to how the Fonz's career is panning out.  That's not to say he will explode on the scene next season but it goes to show that if he's played in the right position and given a chance then who knows given that he is more skillful and has greater technical ability than Gabby did when he started and even has now.

The experience will have done him no harm.

Online Dave P

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »
To be honest, I think a loan spell has done much better for Weimann then Fonz.  He must have a should of playing a few games next season.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »

Barely two years of cameo appearances, where he's generally done pretty well. Until he gets a run in the first-team we'll never know. It's a shame he didn't get a few more starts after the Fulham and Blackpool games. He missed a couple of chances at Fulham but scored at home to Blackpool, had another one wrongly disallowed and was subbed-off immediately after his goal. I don't think he's started since.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 06:42:55 PM »
I like the kid a lot, he has'nt let us down when he's played and he seems to have confidence in front of goal. I think he'd do better alongside Bent than Gabby, who just tends to drift out wide anyway.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
I'd like to see more from him now.

mon didn't fancy him and neither did GH, he said he needed to man up or something didn't he? Good goal against Blackpool and unlucky to have one other disallowed.

Would like to see him progress, I think he's got a better footballing brain  than Agbonlahor

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »
MON did fancy him and was a big admirer. He was planning to use him a lot more this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal