collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Board must take its share of the blame - General C Krulak  (Read 29264 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Board must take its share of the blame - General C Krulak
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »
I disagree. He's not only ideal for an upstairs role, he's already proved himself in one.

Where?

France. He was instrumental in setting up the Clairefontaine academy, which ultimately helped France win the World Cup and European Championships and is still very much an elite and productive set up. He's also been technical director for the FFF.
Whilst not a Director of football or technical directot role at a Premier League club, he's had good experience of "upstairs roles".

I guess that I'm concerned we have few men at the club who are truly plugged into the wider world of football and dont want to be in a position where one man has all the power again. Especially one who is narrow minded and refuses to look abroad or think too far ahead, to develop the scouting and coaching infrastructure. A man like Houllier is a champion of these causes. We need it. I'd be loathe to lose his value completely just because he isnt well enough to manage anymore.
I also strongly believe he can peform a role at the club without being in any new managers face.

Mr Woodhall has a point though. This is in danger of becoming another Houllier thread. In truth I forget which one is which now.

I assumed you were referring to his recent upstairs role at the FFF, which was an utter disaster, culminating in one of the most embarassisng world cup campaigns seen for a long time - so wouldn't really use that as evidence that he can work in that role.

I honestly think we're (general sense of "we") looking at this in terms of giving GH a job to do as a fob off, without thinking that he's not going to work for peanuts - far from it - and about whether we actually need someone in that role.

Once we have a scouting network, how much work does it need to oversee on a day to day basis, for example?

In fact, when Dr Jo left, didn't we give him some fancily titled role - Technical Director, Europe or some nonsense - which turned out to mean nothing?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:37:00 PM by pauliebentnuts »

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 09:43:50 PM »
Absolutely, Paulie. I sense a lot of folks on here are just looking at a way of getting rid of a man without the whole looking like absolute c***s for sacking a man who has been unwell.

Getting back to the main topic I do agree that the board have been far from faultless. Heck, if we got rid of everyone who was even slightly to blame for this shitter of a season all we'd have left is a couple of the youth players and Doris the Tea Lady.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:45:40 PM by TheBentman »

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
I wasnt really refering to his role at the FFF.

To be honest, setting up academies, improving the scouting and coaching infrastructure and so on would be an involving and evolving role. It would take years to bring it up to the levels we need to be a top club. Much of what we have is already top class and in some cases, the best. It just needs the rest to come up to scratch. As Ive said for a while, its the only way we're going to truly compete at the top level.

Its too much for a manager to do as well as his other duties and we have nobody else I know of with the football nous required, so I say we get a man to oversee this and I believe we already have him.

I'd never suggest it just to be kind or to fob him off. That's just nonsense.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »

I'd never suggest it just to be kind or to fob him off. That's just nonsense.

I didn't say you were, but I get the impression a lot of people see it that way - ie move him upstairs, soften the blow, without too much of a thought as to what he'd do, how much he'd cost etc.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 09:50:10 PM »
I see.
No, unless he would be doing something useful, that we truly need, I'd rather he wasnt given a role at all.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »
The trouble is, if you give Houllier some sort of DoF position, you then need to find a manager willing to work with one.  This would limit the choice of managers even more, which I don't think would be a sensible move in the summer.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
A twenty year head start in the premiership era should see us on a completely different footballing level to all of our near neighbours.

It's hasn't, and successive boards have to be to blame.

I agree.
The Blues have won a trophy this year, yet we've been potless for 15 years.

That's a bit melodramatic, Fletcher-san.

Blues have won the league cup, but then again, Stoke City are one match from winning the FA Cup.  Middlesbrough, Blackburn and Leicester City have also all won the LC since we last did.

Blues fluked their way to the final via a succession of piss easy home draws and a lucky escape to get past us. They're still a piss pot shithouse club of no worthiness whatsoever.

Dead on. I don't think I've ever agreed so strongly with a post.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »
I wouldnt limit it to thinking DOF only. Its just a title. You could call it development director, technical director, or whatever.
The role I described wouldn't interfere with a managers day to day job much and would actually help.

And do we really want a tyrant manager who is unwilling to work with others for the greater good of the club?
Also, managers come and go and their legacy shouldn't permeate every level of the club. There should be continuity and long term planning outside of and beyond whoever happens to be manager at the time. To a degree there already is, but it could be far more comprehensive, far reaching and potent.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »
I wouldnt limit it to thinking DOF only. Its just a title. You could call it development director, technical director, or whatever.
The role I described wouldn't interfere with a managers day to day job much and would actually help.

And do we really want a tyrant manager who is unwilling to work with others for the greater good of the club?
Also, managers come and go and their legacy shouldn't permeate every level of the club. There should be continuity and long term planning outside of and beyond whoever happens to be manager at the time. To a degree there already is, but it could be far more comprehensive, far reaching and potent.

I don't think not wanting to work with a failed ex-manager shifted upstairs would make a manager a tyrant.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
Depends what you mean by "upstairs".

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:13 PM »
A twenty year head start in the premiership era should see us on a completely different footballing level to all of our near neighbours.

It's hasn't, and successive boards have to be to blame.

I agree.
The Blues have won a trophy this year, yet we've been potless for 15 years.

That's a bit melodramatic, Fletcher-san.

Blues have won the league cup, but then again, Stoke City are one match from winning the FA Cup.  Middlesbrough, Blackburn and Leicester City have also all won the LC since we last did.

Blues fluked their way to the final via a succession of piss easy home draws and a lucky escape to get past us. They're still a piss pot shithouse club of no worthiness whatsoever.

However the fact is SHA have won a cup and we have been  potless for 15 years.

Offline oodman

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2011, 12:15:10 AM »
Why is everyone banging on about giving houllier a job upstairs.  What the fuck has he done to deserve a job upstairs.?????  he should be no where near our club next season

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2011, 12:27:37 AM »
I dont think the idea of putting the existing manager to a DOF rule has ever worked in England. You can not get half pregnant.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2011, 01:09:38 AM »
Eh?

Offline Nirog72

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2011, 01:14:26 AM »
There are a couple of bars upstairs at Villa Park he could work in. A bit like Renee. Just needs a policeman with a really bad accent working with him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal