collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ciaran Clark - now gone  (Read 118255 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Ciaran Clark - now gone
« Reply #645 on: June 17, 2017, 03:20:16 AM »
The more you think about it, James Chester was such an important signing for us last season.  Clark/Baker/Elphick all capable of the massive mistake.  Chester is the one of the three I would take with us to the Premiership.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #646 on: June 17, 2017, 06:43:31 AM »
Yes, Clark and Chester would have been a good combination, despite a lack of pace.

I wouldn't have Chester down as a slouch. He is McGrath esque (stay with me)  in the sense that he always seems to have just enough pace to mop up the danger. He isn't always on his heels so doesn't need to be a sprint champion. Whereas both Clark and Baker are iffy against nippy forwards and are no strangers to misjudging the flight of the ball. Chronic lack of pace adds to the package.

Clark started gubbing it with the ball at his feet too, which is a shame.  As one of the things that stood out when he first broke through was how comfortable he was in possession.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:46:25 AM by KevinGage »

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #647 on: June 18, 2017, 12:41:42 AM »
Yes, Clark and Chester would have been a good combination, despite a lack of pace.

I wouldn't have Chester down as a slouch. He is McGrath esque (stay with me)  in the sense that he always seems to have just enough pace to mop up the danger. He isn't always on his heels so doesn't need to be a sprint champion. Whereas both Clark and Baker are iffy against nippy forwards and are no strangers to misjudging the flight of the ball. Chronic lack of pace adds to the package.

Clark started gubbing it with the ball at his feet too, which is a shame.  As one of the things that stood out when he first broke through was how comfortable he was in possession.

Even more so when he was originally a midfield player with the youth team. I would bet he will come good. Rafa's summer signings will prove what he thinks one way or the other.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #648 on: June 18, 2017, 12:49:33 AM »
I'm sure I've mentioned before (I meant to, if I haven't) that I don't recall many players who have looked as calm, controlled and comfortable as Clark as he misplaced a ten yard pass.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #649 on: June 18, 2017, 03:24:56 AM »
Clark v  Baker - not much in it - except Baker is our player and Clark is not - so I am totally focused on NB  and forgotten that Clark was a player in claret and blue who was distinctly average.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #650 on: June 19, 2017, 12:11:08 AM »
Clark v  Baker - not much in it - except Baker is our player and Clark is not - so I am totally focused on NB  and forgotten that Clark was a player in claret and blue who was distinctly average.
Agree, isn't it a shame they both looked great in our youth team and I honestly thought they'd go on to form our centre half partnership for ten years just like a Pallister & Bruce combo with one of them ultimately ending up as club captain.
Maybe it's me wishing they were that good or maybe just maybe our coaching really has been that shocking that
We continually turn wine into water ?

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #651 on: June 19, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Agree, isn't it a shame they both looked great in our youth team and I honestly thought they'd go on to form our centre half partnership for ten years just like a Pallister & Bruce combo with one of them ultimately ending up as club captain.
Maybe it's me wishing they were that good or maybe just maybe our coaching really has been that shocking that

Or maybe they just peak early like a lot of promising players at an early age. That's not just the case at our place it's at every club.  For every Dele Alee there's 10 Danny Cadarmateris . 

Clark's not been great for us in his time but he's better than Baker. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #652 on: June 19, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
I like Baker but my best description of him would be summed up in the phrase 'Bull In A China Shop'.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #653 on: June 19, 2017, 10:27:48 AM »

Not sure on that one, Chester is better alongside aerially dominant CBs (Baker and Jedinak) and I thought that was yet another average part of Clarks game. Remember when Victor Flipping Anchiebe totally bullied him when he played for Everton.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #654 on: June 19, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »

Or maybe they just peak early like a lot of promising players at an early age. That's not just the case at our place it's at every club.  For every Dele Alee there's 10 Danny Cadarmateris . 

Don't know where to start.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #655 on: June 19, 2017, 11:23:46 AM »

Don't know where to start.
At the beginning is a good place.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #656 on: June 23, 2017, 10:01:14 PM »
Clark always had more potential because baker is so limited technically

Baker did ok last year but isn't good enough if we want to get promoted. Chester is by far the best but he's not at all infallible. He makes quite a few sloppy mistakes but most of the time we don't get punished - maybe he'd cut them out in the top flight

Chester does appear to be a better passer than half our midfield though which is embarrassing. Yes I'm looking at you Mile,Leandro, Bjarnason, and Gardner

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal