collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We'll work on defending set-pieces in pre-season - McAllister  (Read 25831 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: We'll work on defending set-pieces in pre-season - McAllister
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2011, 07:00:31 AM »
In times past when a journeyman sought to become a master craftsman, he would be set a test piece to show his proficiency.

The next time we interview a short list of potential managers they should have Stephen Ireland in an adjoining room and before any candidate's interview is concluded the applicant should be asked "Mr Hughes/Moyes/Jol/Lambert, how would you get this player to stop being a prick and play to his massive potential?"

If there need to be a tie break it should go to a sudden death, golden goal question "What do you think about zonal marking?"

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »
I read the piece as a subtle dig at what went on last summer with the training. I don't think Dunne's pie intake was the only thing that wasn't monitored upto the ex-manager leaving.

I'm pretty sure you would read subtle digs at the ex-manager in the shape of the clouds.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2011, 09:46:44 AM »
I think it's McAllister's way of announcing that he knows we have a problem there....

Don't worry too much Gary, it won't be your problem soon !

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »
i find it bafflig that they think that they cant change it... considering they have already changed it for the negative, then why cant they change it back?

clueless, the lot of them...

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »
Having thought about this overnight, if all this is correct about the defensive situation, well, im amazed the Villa have done so well this season.

Its ludicrous and shocking.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
So he says he wants us to play "winning fast football". Says we have to "brush up on our defending".

Where's the drama?

I'd like to think that our highly paid management team would have tried to do something about our dismal defending during the season.  I'm old fashioned like that.

I'd also like us to build a time machine, I'm futuristic like that.

I think by "do something" he means buy better players. Not that I want him to be here in the Summer. I want Houllier to be though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »
The players we have in defence have shown that they're perfectly capable of being an efficient unit.  There's no reason why they should have gone from just about the best in the league last season, to just about the worst this year.

And I honestly hope that both Houllier and McAllister are gone as soon as the season ends.  It just hasn't worked.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2011, 11:13:43 AM »
And I honestly hope that both Houllier and McAllister are gone as soon as the season ends.  It just hasn't worked.
Put me down for that.
Aside from the fact that I don't think his health could cope, the pair of them have been spectularly inept.

Offline Merv

« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »
The bit that's baffling me in all this is the line about the management trying to enforce man-for-man marking but the defenders refusing to switch from zonal marking... if that's true what a total shambles: ill-disciplined, rebellious players and a management team incapable of implementing tactical changes.

It's my birthday on Sunday; best present would be three points v Wigan, then we can put this season to bed. Just about everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong!

Offline sfx412

« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2011, 01:24:57 PM »
I read the piece as a subtle dig at what went on last summer with the training. I don't think Dunne's pie intake was the only thing that wasn't monitored upto the ex-manager leaving.

I'm pretty sure you would read subtle digs at the ex-manager in the shape of the clouds.

and he wouldn't be alone on here

Offline sfx412

« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »
The players we have in defence have shown that they're perfectly capable of being an efficient unit.  There's no reason why they should have gone from just about the best in the league last season, to just about the worst this year.

You don't count arrogant attitudes to all and sundry, lack of professionalism,  injuries, and poor fitness then ?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2011, 12:43:52 AM »

well thats as maybe, but seeing as the general opinion among managers, coaches and indeed us fans is a good pre-season is essential, he seems to be saying they didn't get much of that last summer. Whatever the deficiences of the current management and however much you hate GH, GaryMac and Co.,, i seriously hope you don't believe we haven't practiced defensive duties on the training ground at all this season until its suddenly occurred to them last week, but actually they'll look  into it next pre-season.... As i said a suble dig at the last encumbant, and lets face it,, if your whole defence is based on the hoof! like the last manager you don't need a pre-season to practice it. More like 5 minutes....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:45:40 AM by gregnash »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2011, 07:09:54 AM »
We conceded 39 goals in the league last season. Considering the defending went to pot from about March on as MON didnt rest the likes of Dunne and Warnock who were injured it was still our best defensive season in years. Could have been lower with rotation Id argue.

This season so far with the same personnel we have conceded 57 already. The buck has to stop somewhere and that is with the management ultimately.

I know there are mitigating circumstances - Cuellar was preferred at right back last season often. Milner gave more energy in the middle and we never played with three wingers. Throw in the complete decline of Warnock, Dunne and Collins (diabolical for the first West Brom goal again last weekend) as individuals. We also had more height in the side for set pieces with Cuellar and Heskey/Carew being much better in the air but Houllier and McAllister can only point the finger so far. They must go really.

Offline gerags

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2011, 01:07:43 PM »
The defence showed they weren't working as a unit relatively early on in the season.

I remember watching the Blackpool match when Dunne pushed up, leaving the others behind and a huge space for Harewood to stroll into to score against us.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »
What's this fucking 'WE' bit?

What we bit? Any need for a fucking in there? Not sure I understand the question?
The We as in the title of this thread 'We'll work on defending set-pieces in pre-season - McAllister'  I don't want that clown anywhere near the club.  I hope that clears it up for you :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal