collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We'll work on defending set-pieces in pre-season - McAllister  (Read 25833 times)

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
Re: We'll work on defending set-pieces in pre-season - McAllister
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 03:14:02 PM »
Why pre-season?

Maybe the club will buy some defenders ?

What about the really good Spanish one and the talented youngster who dont get a start while those two wasters continue to get picked?

Yes. Clarke is a good prospect. He makes playing football look easy. I like Carlos too, as a centre back, but his chances of playing are/will be limited if Houllier remains as Manager. 

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 03:20:03 PM »
For whatever reason it is the regular non-selection of Cuellar in defence is one of the biggest cases of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face I've seen in a long time.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »
Why pre-season?

Maybe the club will buy some defenders ?

What about the really good Spanish one and the talented youngster who dont get a start while those two wasters continue to get picked?

Yes. Clarke is a good prospect. He makes playing football look easy. I like Carlos too, as a centre back, but his chances of playing are/will be limited if Houllier remains as Manager. 

Clarke and Cuellar should be first choice next season.
Fuck Collins and Dunne off, buy another centre half to wait in  the wings with Baker.

All provided we get a new management team.
Giving good new signings for McAllister to handle would be like feeding strawberries to a pig.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 03:37:37 PM »
Every time the bloke opens his mouth to the press, I find myself wincing.  He really is out of his depth.  Set piece defending/attacking drills can be set up at any time of the year, not just in pre-season.  The man is an absolute joke and shouldn't be in the position he's in.  Lower down the leagues, perhaps.  But not at Aston Villa.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »
For whatever reason it is the regular non-selection of Cuellar in defence is one of the biggest cases of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face I've seen in a long time.

Agreed, certainly not since last season. When he's been given the chance this season, Carlos had never let us down. Whilst he's not a Laursen-type defender, he's bloody brilliant at taking care of the more skillfull, tricky strikers. Add to that, he loves the club, never complains and gives nothing less than 100%, he most certainly is our best central defender.

There are few players in our squad that deserve our upmost respect and Carlos is one of them. He, like us, deserves better.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
There was a time where every answer to a question that DOL was asked was analysed and over analysed. Gmac is now getting the same. He is saying what we are seeing, so at least the coaching staff are able to see the obvious, unlike the previous regime that buried their heads in the sand! I am also sure that even if GED returns this summer, there will be another coach or two added to the staff to support this side of things. I am hoping that GMac and GED to go now though, for my health as much as his, simply to not have to read the continuous monotony of picking on every word and repeating the same thing ad-nausea. Off topic is much more interesting than football these days.

Awfully sorry Ozzjim, but some of us don't enjoy being beaten in three local Derbies in the same season and having to rely on beating Wigan on Saturday to make sure we stay up with 3 games to go.
and most of don't like losing 26 points from winning position. Being the most "turned around" team is humiliating behind belief.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »
Gary McAllister today insisted Villa’s poor defending from set-pieces will be rectified this summer after bemoaning more dropped points against Albion.

Villa have tossed away 26 points from winning positions this season after more defensive lapses cost them a 25-year unbeaten record against the Baggies in Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at The Hawthorns.

McAllister believes defending set-pieces has become a mental issue for Villa’s players.

“Maybe it is a wee bit at the moment,” said Villa’s assistant boss, who revealed the squad will return for pre-season on July 6 or 7.

“But we certainly need to be defending better from our set-pieces. That’s something we’ve really got to brush up on. My feeling is it will take a good six weeks during pre-season to organise and drill.

“We’re well aware of that and it’s not good enough. If we’d stayed in front in all of those games (where they had been ahead) we might be talking about finishing higher.”Did this bloke used to be a Rocket scientist?

Offline villasjf

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 05:31:18 PM »
Gary McAllister claims Aston Villa's squad does not require major changes this summer in order to ensure a better season next term.

Villa's assistant boss is in caretaker charge while Gerard Houllier recuperates following a spell in hospital after he was suffering from chest pains recently. And McAllister, who presided over Saturday's disappointing 2-1 defeat at local rivals West Brom - Villa's first loss to Albion in 26 years - claims they are still the Midlands' biggest club and he is confident better times are in store next season.
On Villa, who have now thrown away 26 points from winning positions this term which would have put them second in the table, McAllister told the Birmingham Mail: "We're well aware of that.
"It's not good enough. We know that and the players know that. That's the frustrating thing.
"Listen, I know the stats, if we'd remained in front of all of those games we might have been talking about something else so that's something we're very aware of.
"There's not a great deal needs changing here. What happened here before we came suggests that.
"We've had a season which we know has not been good enough, but there's still been pluses.
"If we tickle it and get it right there's no massive change needed.
"It's a case of Gerard stamping his philosophy on and putting his stamp on the club and the team."

Not just one journalist getting it wrong then!!!

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »
"There's not a great deal needs changing here. What happened here before we came suggests that.

Hmm, a more cynical man than I could suggest that looking at what happened before they came and where we are now suggests one thing that could use changing.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 05:36:42 PM »
Put the f****** thing in row Z - would be an improvement

Offline villasjf

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »
i think Gerrard said something about 5 years of bad habits in defending before he took ill and said we will leave it till pre season.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 05:45:03 PM »

I disagree there.  It's the constant kick and rush tactics employed by the likes of Collins and Friedel that have caused so many problems.  I wish we'd take a leaf out of Clark's book (or better still, play him!) and play the ball out of defence instead of blasting it to anywhere.   All this does is invite pressure on the defence and cause us to concede too many set-pieces (which we can't defend).  We need to learn to take control of the ball at the back instead of panicking and maybe then, with a bit of ball retention, we will improve.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »
There was a time where every answer to a question that DOL was asked was analysed and over analysed. Gmac is now getting the same. He is saying what we are seeing, so at least the coaching staff are able to see the obvious, unlike the previous regime that buried their heads in the sand! I am also sure that even if GED returns this summer, there will be another coach or two added to the staff to support this side of things. I am hoping that GMac and GED to go now though, for my health as much as his, simply to not have to read the continuous monotony of picking on every word and repeating the same thing ad-nausea. Off topic is much more interesting than football these days.

Awfully sorry Ozzjim, but some of us don't enjoy being beaten in three local Derbies in the same season and having to rely on beating Wigan on Saturday to make sure we stay up with 3 games to go.
and most of don't like losing 26 points from winning position. Being the most "turned around" team is humiliating behind belief.

I'm pretty sure Clampy is not enjoying too. (I think) his point is that there are a lot of people who are just criticising GMac because they don't like him rather than the specifics of what he is saying or adding anything constructive.

Anyway, moving on.  From what I have just been reading on MattKendrick's twitter, it appears that some of the defender have refused to take on Houllier's instructions to have Man-to-man marking (compared to MON's) zonal marking for set pieces.

This, if true, is insane.  How can you have a team that has some players using one system and others another.  Alternatively, say you're Clark and you have Dunne (example only, but likely candidate) telling you to zonal mark during the matches whereas you've spent your time practising man marking on the training pitch.

Neither group, the players or coaches, come out of this in a good light but it does - somewhat - explain why we have been so shit at defending.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
Quote from: McAllisterlink=topic=43304.msg1768027#msg1768027 date=1304353878
"If we tickle it and get it right there's no massive change needed.''
Scary.
Another reason to get this complete arse out of the club.
The squad needs over hauling.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 06:06:39 PM »

I disagree there.  It's the constant kick and rush tactics employed by the likes of Collins and Friedel that have caused so many problems.  I wish we'd take a leaf out of Clark's book (or better still, play him!) and play the ball out of defence instead of blasting it to anywhere.   All this does is invite pressure on the defence and cause us to concede too many set-pieces (which we can't defend).  We need to learn to take control of the ball at the back instead of panicking and maybe then, with a bit of ball retention, we will improve.

Row Z still an improvement on what they do at the moment.

And if we are 1-0 up on Saturday with 5 mins to go - Row Z will be where I hope it goes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:09:07 PM by SashasGrandad »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal