collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We'll work on defending set-pieces in pre-season - McAllister  (Read 26019 times)

Offline Villa'Zawg

Aston Villa to work on defending corners and free-kicks in pre-season

VILLA will go back to basics to learn how to defend corners and free-kicks in pre-season after again ruing their susceptibility to set-pieces.

They reacted slower than Albion at every single phase of the deadball move which brought their rivals back into Saturday’s game.

Peter Odemwingie pounced to poke in James Morrison’s free-kick for the equaliser as West Brom pinballed it around the box with the Villa defence static. Villa have now let in 57 Premier League goals this season.

“Maybe there’s a wee bit of something mentally at the moment with set-pieces,” said Gary McAllister.

“Defending set-pieces has got to be better. That’s something we’ve really got to brush up on. A good six weeks in the pre-season is where you set that in the players.

“It was an unneccessary foul, but then you’ve got the chance to defend it. It was a harmless ball up to the back post unchallenged and then as it’s ricocheting about they get the break of the ball.”

McAllister is reluctant to blame Saturday’s defeat solely on the backline and believes Villa’s passing play still lacks the zip to finish their opponents off.

“You don’t just look at the defensive side,” he added.

“When you get in front you must be more confident and relaxed in possession. Even though we had good possession, it wasn’t going at the pace we showed in training. It may have been a little bit safe and it didn’t have the zip which we’re trying to get into the players.

“We need slick passing and movement. We’re very much aware that it can’t be all that, the whole thing’s got to be right.

“We don’t want to play tippy-tappy football. We want to play winning fast football.”

Birmingham Mail - Clicky

Forget about the implications of waiting for pre-season to put right our set-piece problems, using the phrase " tippy-tappy football" to describe our play will be the final straw for some on here.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: We'll work on defending set-pieces in pre-season - McAllister
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:43:52 AM »
“Maybe there’s a wee bit of something mentally at the moment with set-pieces,” said Gary McAllister.

“Defending set-pieces has got to be better. That’s something we’ve really got to brush up on. A good six weeks in the pre-season is where you set that in the players.

'sigh'

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
I for one agree whole-heartedly with McAllister, and I am glad that he has noticed that we seem to be susceptible to conceding goals at set-pieces. It's an excellent idea to try, oh, I don't know, doing something about it in training, too. This is the kind of progressive, pro-active coaching that we need, and no mistake.

[/sarcasm]

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
So he says he wants us to play "winning fast football". Says we have to "brush up on our defending".

Where's the drama?

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:49:31 AM »
I for one agree whole-heartedly with McAllister, and I am glad that he has noticed that we seem to be susceptible to conceding goals at set-pieces. It's an excellent idea to try, oh, I don't know, doing something about it in training, too. This is the kind of progressive, pro-active coaching that we need, and no mistake.

[/sarcasm]
I wholeheartedly agree.
I also think its great that our management team feel that its right to correct these defensive frailities in July/August.
No point in fucking about with the defensive duties during the season...is there ?             
 [equally sarcastic]

Offline sfx412

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:50:56 AM »
Bullshit

Typical of the man, can't see the wood for the trees
An excuse maker of the first order, get rid, and quick

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
So he says he wants us to play "winning fast football". Says we have to "brush up on our defending".

Where's the drama?

He wants to play winning fast football, so he plays a 37 year old in centre midfield?

Offline Dave Summers

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
“When you get in front you must be more confident and relaxed in possession. Even though we had good possession, it wasn’t going at the pace we showed in training. It may have been a little bit safe and it didn’t have the zip which we’re trying to get into the players.

“We need slick passing and movement. We’re very much aware that it can’t be all that, the whole thing’s got to be right.

“We don’t want to play tippy-tappy football. We want to play winning fast football.”

Hallelujah, he has seen what we all can see !!!.   So Gary, why if you feel that we weren't going forward at pace, did you take off Reo-Coker, replace with Pires and have the slowest central midfield partnership in god knows how long.  Even David Hunt in 87-88 was quicker than them pair !!!!.

From my view, three rows from the back of the Smethwick, it was crying out for Delph to come on and as Big Ron would say, "Drive the game".  He was the only central midfield player in our matchday squad who can actually run with the ball at pace and go round players.  I'm convinced if we had brought him on, even for Gabby and gone 4-3-3 we would have won the game comfortably.

Two decisions this season have baffled and annoyed me in equal measure.  The Man City debacle and the introduction of Pires on Saturday.  As long as I live, will never understand either.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »
I hope it's an entirely new management team (preferrably one that knows what its doing) carrying out some long overdue work on the defensive side of things pre-season.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
So just what do the players do mid week then? :o

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »
Fast Football?

It's a good job we had those whippets Petrov & Pires in midfield on Saturday then.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 12:01:05 PM »
Truly staggering, what a tosser.

A bit like zonal marking isn't working we'll fix it next season

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
So just what do the players do mid week then? :o

Exactly, this is getting stupid now.  OMG, are they thick or do they just think we are?

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »

Where's the drama?

I think it stems from the implication that he's still going to be here next season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 12:08:16 PM »

Where's the drama?

I'd like to think that our highly paid management team would have tried to do something about our dismal defending during the season.  I'm old fashioned like that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal