collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wigan results at home....  (Read 8029 times)

Online TaxDodger

Re: Wigan results at home....
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »
The law of averages says we can't keep on not beating a team as poor as this at home. I'm very confident we'll win.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »
I'm not a great believer in this sort of thing, particularly when different players have been involved down the seasons

I think it is just one of those law of averages where there is always going to be one team you fail to beat at home who you should have done. I am not sure the modern footballer cares enough to look at this sort of thing and to let it affect them, most of our lot just wouldn't know how we had performed against Wigan in the past...

As grumpy as you are about football these days, I concur with the above.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 05:17:08 PM »
Maybe one of the reasons we went so lo
Even Blues beatin us used be a relativly distant memory. This management team have really excelled themselves ,beaten by Blues, Albion and Wolves in the same season. When was the last time that happened ?

Apparantley....never !!!
But I haven't seen confirmation

1962-63.

Also 1958-59, they all put 4 past us at some point.

It's a bit of a false statistic considering the number of seasons all four teams have been in the same division since the early 80s. Plus, of course, this season's defeat to Small Heath was a cup game. They did not beat us in the league.

A point against Wigan should make what is already a fairly safe position more or less cast iron safe. We would be out of West Ham's reach and two teams out of Blackpool, Wigan and Wolves would more or less have to win all their remaining fixtures.

I'd be more worried by Wigan if our home record against them read 5 straight 6-0 victories.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Wigan are shit. They were thumped at Sunderland and struggled to break down Everton at home. Naturally, they'll win at our place.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
Can we get Nii Lamptey to come back just for this game?

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 08:40:08 PM »
Can we get Nii Lamptey to come back just for this game?

Great night that was.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 10:34:20 PM »
I'm not a great believer in this sort of thing, particularly when different players have been involved down the seasons

I think it is just one of those law of averages where there is always going to be one team you fail to beat at home who you should have done. I am not sure the modern footballer cares enough to look at this sort of thing and to let it affect them, most of our lot just wouldn't know how we had performed against Wigan in the past...

As grumpy as you are about football these days, I concur with the above.

God, does it show that much Eammon? I have been grumpy for a few seasons now and Villa's abysmal displays this season have been the crowning glory on my grumpiness. I even found myself watching the Heineken Cup semi final in the rugby yesterday instead of Arsenal vs Man Utd...(especially for you Eammon as I know how much you like me little dots at the end there)

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 10:34:46 PM »
Whenever I think of playing Wigan at home all I can see in my mind is ten players standing in their own penalty area as we pass the ball around them and continually fail to break them down, with Chris Kirkland taking at least 10 minutes over every goal kick. Then when I watch them the following week hoping that they'll do us a favour against one of our rivals, they get beaten at least 8-0.

I hope that we can pull our fingers out and pretty much send them down. That's our season over and then I can try and forget any of this ever happened.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 10:45:57 PM »
2005-06  0-2
2006-07  1-1
2007-08  0-2
2008-09  0-0
2009-10  0-2

Most disappointing was the final home game of MON's second season when we lost 2-0 in a mega piss poor performance, Mellberg's last home match and points dropped in the race for 5th. Although the opening day of the season last year wasnt great was it?

Last season's opener was one of the very few games I've actually found myself booing at the end.  That was such a thoroughly depressing game.

Thankfully I think we're already safe - Wigan need 7 points from 9, or Wolves and West Ham need 9 from 9.  None of those things will happen, even if we lose to Wigan.

After Saturday I'm can't see us taking another point this season - I just want the season to end immediately.

The way things are going, if GH isn't sacked pronto I'm not sure I'll be renewing.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 10:41:52 AM »
with mcallister "in charge", i couldnt see us beating wigans under 10s team, let alone a bogey team at home for a couple of years...

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
Even Blues beatin us used be a relativly distant memory. This management team have really excelled themselves ,beaten by Blues, Albion and Wolves in the same season. When was the last time that happened ?

2005-06  0-2
2006-07  1-1
2007-08  0-2
2008-09  0-0
2009-10  0-2

Most disappointing was the final home game of MON's second season when we lost 2-0 in a mega piss poor performance, Mellberg's last home match and points dropped in the race for 5th. Although the opening day of the season last year wasnt great was it?

So that's only one goal we've managed to score against them in 5 home games? How pathetic is that!?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 05:13:21 PM »
Ability wise I think this team is below where they should be in the league so it is a matter of the players fighting for some semblence of professional pride.  The Wolves result was a catalyst for a run of half decentish form which came to a shuddering halt on Saturday - hopefully the Baggies match will force at least one more better than average performance this season to see us lurch over the safety line.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 11:15:59 PM »
I think we'll finally beat them at home which in part will send them down, a bit like when we finally beat SHA at home at the 4th attempt and they got relegated two weeks later.

It's a baffling statistic though considering we've won our last four up there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal