collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Great Purge of Summer 2011  (Read 19165 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: The Great Purge of Summer 2011
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »
FWIW Luke Young has already moved his family back to London, take from that what you will

EDIT - Villa Submariner - Love that footnote...please tell me you've been to the Sportsman, if only for one pint?  It's my ambition to go there one day
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:48:56 PM by Des Little »

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 05:52:55 PM »
Not yet, but I intend to visit it at some point over the summer months!

Offline Des Little

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
Not yet, but I intend to visit it at some point over the summer months!

Well if you're bigger than me (5 foot 6) can I come with you?  I'm not sure I'd survive on my own.  I'll get the cider in!

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »
Outs: Faulkner, Houllier ,G Mac, Friedel, Warnock,Collins, A.Young, Pires, Carew, Ireland,Beye,Bradley,Heskey,Osbourne,Marshall,Salifou

As he said - plus Dunne. 

Keep Faulkner, he's lightweight but not the autocrat some clubs have as CEO.

Randy makes all the big decisions.

Re. the players, agree 100%.

Shame about Ireland, but him saying that Brum's a shithole is the last straw me thinks.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »
Agree with Paulie's post that there won't be a turnover of 15 players. That just won't happen.

All decent/good/great sides are built with a strong spine.

We have the centre-forward - the focus therefore needs to be on central midfield, central defence and goalkeeper.

Pires will retire, Petrov to be moved on.  We need a athletic ball-carrying box-to-box central midfielder who can chip in with 10 goals a season, i.e. the Stephen Ireland or two of three years ago! I thought Delph might be that player, now I'm not so sure.

In central defence, I'd keep Cuellar, possibly Collins.  Clark needs to be first choice, but with an experienced older head next to him. 

A new goalkeeper is a must.

Of the others, we all know Ashley Young is off.  If Warnock and Luke Young are still here, I'd be amazed.  We'll get a bid for Downing, probably from Liverpool, but I reckon we'll hold on to him for another season at least.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:57:13 PM by TopDeck113 »

Offline Hale

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 06:55:16 PM »
Of current Ist team squad:
Only the following are likely to be left:
Downing, Ireland (nobody will buy him), Agbonlahor, Albrighton, Delfouneso, Delph, Makoun, Petrov, Clark, Beye (see Ireland), Cuellar, Bannan, Weimann, Hogg, Collins, Lichaj, Herd, Baker, Marshall, Johnson, Bent

21 & no first choice gk or full backs.But add Gardner & Seigrist.

We need to sell Ashley for max to fund a couple of significant players.  I still think Cahill should be persuaded to return and given the capt. (IMO if the top teams rated him they would have bought him by now) plus Robinson as keeper and a good link up player for Bent. I do think there will be bargains as clubs look to rein in their wage bills which will make our offloading difficult but hopefully easier to find replacements.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
Some of us are clearly living in dream world if they think we're going to be shipping out 15 odd players in the summer. You can not move on and replace that many players in three months, and even if you did, you'd have to be an absolute genius to get anything out of such turmoil.

From the midfield forwards, there's not a huge amount wrong with us. True, we don't press home our advantage when we have it, and whilst we enjoy a lot of possession, we frequently do not make the most of it, but the fundamentals are there. More than the fundamentals, in fact.

I would classify them as:

Ship out and replace with a natural first choice in their position - Dunne, Collins, Friedel

Ship out, they're bad news: Warnock, Ireland.

Ship out, because they're going whether we like it or not: Ashley Young.

Ship out, because his winter fuel allowance will kick in later in the year, so he won't need the money anyway: Pires

The above are bound to happen.

Then we have the following from which the odd one or two will be moved on, but nothing like all of them: Beye, Salifou, Osbourne, Heskey

What he said.

Offline Des Little

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
By the way - if/when Ash goes, we should be on to N'Zogbia's agent like a tramp on chips

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 07:32:56 PM »
There will be a lot of dealings in the transfer market ins/out this summer so we should see players like Beye,Ireland,Warnock,Osbourne,Salifou,and i think Ashley Young will also go this summer so we really need to buy the right players this time no more duds.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 07:44:42 PM »
Who is out of contract other than NRC & Friedel ?

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »
If / when Hammers go down, we've got to make a beeline for Rob Green.

Offline ez

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 08:03:36 PM »
Who is out of contract other than NRC & Friedel ?

Salifou

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 09:18:09 PM »
I can see Ireland and Warnock getting fresh chances under a new manager particularly if it's someone like Hughes who's had both playing well for him in the past.

To me the ones we should certainly ditch would be Pires (generally just pointless), Dunney for generally being a grade A twat, Heskey (otherwise our promising young forwards like Fonz and Weimann will still be struggling to make the bench) and the idle ones like Beye, Salifou, Osbourne.

The next camp will be players who you wouldn't shed a tear if they left but we'll probably need some of them as squad players next season in case of injury, suspensions. I'm thinkin people like Petrov, Collins and Luke Young here. People who have been regular startes for us this season but should be on the bench next season if we're looking to get back fighting for top 6.

Players I'd certainly keep but I doubt will be here....Carlos, Ashley Young and NRC.

From that you obviously have the young ones...Albrighton, Clark, Lichaj, Fonz, Bannan, Baker, Hogg. Two of those (albrighton and clark) are already developing into good premier league players. Of the rest I don't have a clue who will make it or not but I can't see the point in getting rid of anyone of them unless you're hell bent on demicimating the squad.

From the cull, we'd probably need another three players in defence, a keeper, another central midfielder and wide player and a striker.

So I come up with

Kieran Westwood
Onouha (can play RB and Sunderland did actually have a good defence in the first half of the season)
Samba (playing really well alongside Phil Jones, this is the sort of no nonsense defender I want Clark learning off, not an alcy in relapse)
Jarvis
Tuncay
Rodallega.

Realistic transfer targets.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »
Outs: Faulkner, Houllier ,G Mac, Friedel, Warnock,Collins, A.Young, Pires, Carew, Ireland,Beye,Bradley,Heskey,Osbourne,Marshall,Salifou

yep exactly as i see it

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »
Heskey will be hard to shift, hasn't he got 2 or 3 more contracted years at the club ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal