collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Great Purge of Summer 2011  (Read 19164 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
The Great Purge of Summer 2011
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:09:15 PM »
This season has been a disastrous, disjointed and thoroughly depressing affair and we cannot wait for it to end. One thing is clear, there are a number of people who need to be put up against the wall or failing that, shown the door.

The question is, who?

How many players need to go, does the manager and his staff need to follow? Who needs to be kept to form the core of the new side? Will we be back to the small squad of recent seasons?

I personally think we need to completely clear the decks and get rid of the managerial hierarchy and this needs to be done as soon as possible following the end of the season. The decision should not be Houlliers to make.

I then think we need to get rid of all of the back five who started the game yesterday. Walkers departure will be out of our control and I think efforts should be made to keep Carlos for one more season.

I also think a decision needs to be made about Young. I’d personally show him the door. For every West Ham, there’s a West Brom, a Wolves, a Stoke where he doesn’t perform or look interested.

Those are the players I’d start with at any rate.

I think it will certainly be a summer of huge upheaval, but one that I think we will be better off having gone through. To coin a phrase, we cannot go on like this.

Offline Countryside Villain

• GM : 11.05.2016
Re: The Great Purge of Summer 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »
I think they'll be both a chosen and an enforced clear out come the end of the season and I imagine that all of the players in both categories know where they stand.

Ashley Young will go of his own choosing, that I'm quite sure of.  The stats show that we've benefited from his assists and goals, but I don't think we'll miss him anything like we've missed Milner.

We'll lose Walker but if we stump up the cash I think we could get him back on a permanent basis.

From the back, a new keeper is a necessity.  None of the keepers on our books offer what we need next season.  In defence, at the very least, Dunne, Collins and Cuellar will be looking to move on.  Its only Cuellar I think we should be fighting to keep hold of assuming we can get replacements in.

Across the middle, I'd like to keep hold of NRC if possible but wouldn't kick up a fuss if Petrov went.  Bannan and Delph are our future there and along with Makoun I think we could be covered.  If we could get in an experienced creative force in the middle though, I think we would be a far better team.  Ireland could have been it, but is a twat so we should be throwing him in a sack with some bricks and heading to the canal.  We need to keep Downing and Albrighton, no question.

Up front, Heskey may move on but I can't see Gabby joining him in leaving.  Delfouneso could be looking for a way out and I don't think we should stand in his way either.  Another experienced striker for Bent to play off is a must for me.  I really like Gabby but he's average at best for most of the season.

So I think that looks like a complete revamp of the rear guard, some experience and creativity in midfield and an additional spark up front.  Get that and we could be set.

Oh, and a new manager and coaching staff.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
Outs: Faulkner, Houllier ,G Mac, Friedel, Warnock,Collins, A.Young, Pires, Carew, Ireland,Beye,Bradley,Heskey,Osbourne,Marshall,Salifou

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »
Really depressed. Our defence is a joke. Managers of other teams only have to say "put some pressure on them and they will collapse" and they are completly right. Two established and reliable CH are needed desperately, NRC not good enough. No passing ability and no vision. Gabby (as much as i like him) not good enough and is one dimensional. A bent striking partner of Hernandez`s quality needed. Actually worried about the Wigan game now ......

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
Outs - A Young, Dunne, Petrov, Pires, Marshall, Salifou, Osbourne, Ireland, Carewn Heskey, Houllier, Gmac

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 04:52:09 PM »
As posted on another thread, with Gary McDick saying that some of the decisions have already been taken and players know they'll be leaving, no wonder they have already given up on the club.  Crap management in any league, anywhere.  Useless.  Get rid of both of them sharpish.

I'd still sell the likes of Petrov, Collins, Heskey, Ashley Young.  Release NRC, Salifou, Friedel, Osbourne etc and rely a bit more on the likes of Delph and Makoun next season.  We'll need the money as a wider rebuild is needed.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »
I'd ship out

Friedal
Dunne
Collins
Petrov
Heskey
Salifou
L.Young
Beye
Osbourne
Ireland
Warnock
Delpth
Guzan
uncle bob
Osbourne
Delfouneso
NRC
Gary Mac

Harsh but fair.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:29:38 PM by gregnash »

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 05:03:01 PM »
Have to say Greg, wanting to 'ship out' Fonz, L. Young and especially Delph (seriously??) is pure crack talk.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 05:04:57 PM »
Fonz is not good enough imo. young is on the way out anyway, delpth we got seriously ripped off by leeds

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »
Fonz is not good enough imo. young is on the way out anyway, delpth we got seriously ripped off by leeds

I strongly disagree with you about Fonz, I don't know where you get this Luke 'on the way out anyway' stuff from, and maintain that your view on 'Delpth' must be informed by crack. Or possibly sniffing glue.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »
i don't get delpth or the admiration for him i must say. flatters to decieve for the most part. Certainly not worth what we paid for him. Like i said before Leeds missed him so much they got promoted. young is coming up to 32. not going to get any better, and while he was dealt a shitty hand by MON it would probably be best to look around for someone younger. Fonz to me shows no signs of ever being a prolific striker. Is gonna have to make the breakthrough soon
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:27:41 PM by gregnash »

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
I see the following players with us next season:

Friedel, Marshall
Luke, Collins, Clark, Baker, Lichaj
Downing, Albrighton, Delph, Makoun, Petrov, Bannan
Bent, Gabby, Heskey, Delfouneso

Ontop of that we'd need a first choice centre back, ideally with some experience.
A pair of first choice fullbacks
A first choice central midfielder, preferably someone who can tackle and who knows the league.
A creative midfield player to replace Young, but someone who is capable of pushing double figures for goals from open play.

In an ideal world I'd also like a goalkeeper and another centre half. I'd also take Larsson on a free from SHA>

To throw some names from England:

Robinson, Walker, Dann, Lescott, Baines, Palacios, N'Zogbia

Although I expect none of those to sign.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »
Outs: Faulkner, Houllier ,G Mac, Friedel, Warnock,Collins, A.Young, Pires, Carew, Ireland,Beye,Bradley,Heskey,Osbourne,Marshall,Salifou

As he said - plus Dunne. 

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »
Some of us are clearly living in dream world if they think we're going to be shipping out 15 odd players in the summer. You can not move on and replace that many players in three months, and even if you did, you'd have to be an absolute genius to get anything out of such turmoil.

From the midfield forwards, there's not a huge amount wrong with us. True, we don't press home our advantage when we have it, and whilst we enjoy a lot of possession, we frequently do not make the most of it, but the fundamentals are there. More than the fundamentals, in fact.

I would classify them as:

Ship out and replace with a natural first choice in their position - Dunne, Collins, Friedel

Ship out, they're bad news: Warnock, Ireland.

Ship out, because they're going whether we like it or not: Ashley Young.

Ship out, because his winter fuel allowance will kick in later in the year, so he won't need the money anyway: Pires

The above are bound to happen.

Then we have the following from which the odd one or two will be moved on, but nothing like all of them: Beye, Salifou, Osbourne, Heskey

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »
Luke Young is out of contract in the Summer and I suspect he will move back to the capital - probably end up at QPR.

For me I'd ship out -

Friedel
Luke Young
Warnock
Dunne
Ashley Young
Pires
Ireland
Heskey
Reo-Coker
Guzan
Osbourne