collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Will any potential new managers form a queue here...  (Read 16131 times)

Offline SteveD

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Will any potential new managers form a queue here...
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2011, 01:37:34 AM »
Why this great faith in GH's scouting/DOF abilities. The signing of Bent was a no brainer. And then there's Bradley, and Makoun (he can pass a ball square over 10 yards but otherwise hardly looks an impact player from what I've seen so far). Why do we need to accommodate Houllier in the set up, apart from feeling sorry for him? It's not worked, time to move on and not build the club around him.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »
I think we can strike Osama bin Laden off the list.

Offline Grubly Magoo

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »
I'm in a strange position of quite liking Ged despite our poor results - I think I like what he is trying to do at least?!
Possible solution could be moving him upstairs and having Poyet in to manage first team. He seems to have done well whenever he's been on my radar but I admit to not knowing much about him which could scupper my argument.....

Offline theleftside

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 10:39:05 AM »
owen coyle for me, or mark hughes.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
Where is the recent evidence for these great contacts of Houllier's? 

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »
Why this great faith in GH's scouting/DOF abilities. The signing of Bent was a no brainer. And then there's Bradley, and Makoun (he can pass a ball square over 10 yards but otherwise hardly looks an impact player from what I've seen so far). Why do we need to accommodate Houllier in the set up, apart from feeling sorry for him? It's not worked, time to move on and not build the club around him.

Totally agree, time for GED to go.

Did he ever really want the job ? Seemed to be a chore from day 1
He then fucks up by appointing a poor team around him
Bent was a no brainer, Makoun / Bradley / Cummings, all a bit mediocre really (albeit Makoun may be ok next year ??)

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 11:10:15 AM »
Bent was a no brainer. Shame MON didnt have a fookin brain...

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »
I'll repeat what I've said in a different thread: Paul Lambert is going to be a top manager at a top club.  To me he's cut of the right cloth: he had a varied playing career - including a stint in Germany, he has served his managerial apprenticeship in the lower divisions and - at least from what I can glean from the Football League Show - has got Norwich playing a style of football that I'd love to see once more at the Villa.  His record of handing out thrashings in local derbies is also impressive!

His profile now is similar to that of Moyes when he was at Preston.  Some club sooner or later - sooner if Norwich miss out in the play-offs - is going to take a chance on him. In my opinion, that club is going to be handsomely rewarded for taking that chance.  At present he's not going to get a job with any of the Top 6 clubs, but he'd do really well for a underachiever like Everton, one of the North East clubs - or the Villa.

Agreed, but Norwich won't need to miss out in the play-offs. They are likely to finish second and get automatic promotion and in that case I think he will stay on for at least next season

Online Holte L2

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 02:53:45 PM »
I'll repeat what I've said in a different thread: Paul Lambert is going to be a top manager at a top club.  To me he's cut of the right cloth: he had a varied playing career - including a stint in Germany, he has served his managerial apprenticeship in the lower divisions and - at least from what I can glean from the Football League Show - has got Norwich playing a style of football that I'd love to see once more at the Villa.  His record of handing out thrashings in local derbies is also impressive!

His profile now is similar to that of Moyes when he was at Preston.  Some club sooner or later - sooner if Norwich miss out in the play-offs - is going to take a chance on him. In my opinion, that club is going to be handsomely rewarded for taking that chance.  At present he's not going to get a job with any of the Top 6 clubs, but he'd do really well for a underachiever like Everton, one of the North East clubs - or the Villa.

Agreed, but Norwich won't need to miss out in the play-offs. They are likely to finish second and get automatic promotion and in that case I think he will stay on for at least next season

The same was thought about Owen Coyle.  Lambert would jump at the chance to manage us? And agreed, he's class. Exactly what we need providing he's got free reign to do manage without a DOF.

Online Holte L2

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »

My thoughts exactly!

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2011, 03:35:08 PM »
I'd be pretty happy with Lambert.

Another name from the Championship would be Brendan Rodgers.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 04:03:14 PM »

The same was thought about Owen Coyle.  Lambert would jump at the chance to manage us? And agreed, he's class. Exactly what we need providing he's got free reign to do manage without a DOF.

I think Lambert of all people would benefit from a DoF as he has so far been shopping in a different market to what Villa will be.  Therefore it is highly unlikely that he will have a list of good value transfer targets, for Norwich yes, for a villa unlikely.  Therefore he can concentrate on coaching, match day preparation whilst someone else can sort out the stuff that so far he has not done.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »
Martinez was also an up-and-coming C'ship manager before joining Wigan. Although he has been ok, he may end up back in the C'ship.
Brendan Rodgers didn't cover himself in glory at Reading ...
I'd like to see Lambert, with a senior guy to support him - whether that's Hou or someone else, I don't know.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2011, 05:49:08 PM »
The points re Lambert are very valid. And Moyes when he got to Everton made 2-3 very astute sigings from the Championship that he knew would succeed in the prem (Cahill and Lescott) but I would still want someone like Houllier putting all the scouting networks (not actually being the scout) organising the structure of the club etc.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »
The points re Lambert are very valid. And Moyes when he got to Everton made 2-3 very astute sigings from the Championship that he knew would succeed in the prem (Cahill and Lescott) but I would still want someone like Houllier putting all the scouting networks (not actually being the scout) organising the structure of the club etc.
In the horrible event of Houllier being given a job 'upstairs' there would be no way we'd have Lambert here, Houllier would want somebody who he has worked with before that shares his football philosophy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal