collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Will any potential new managers form a queue here...  (Read 16129 times)

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Will any potential new managers form a queue here...
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:26:10 PM »
(Apologies if this thread already exists - did not see one like it, specifically about the current situation. Tony D's on Rafa did not exist when I began typing! - great minds, etc. However, open to merger if mods prefer!)

Speculation and/or wishful thinking is in the air.  The press are at it, so are many posters on H&V.  Some of us would still prefer to see Gerard stay but realise that this decision is going to be dependent on his health and taken sometime in the summer, according to the club. 

There are fans with different perspectives on this situation who want to discuss alternatives  so given the circ.s, what about a thread separate from the current 'wishing him well' one which is struggling to stay on topic and use this one, dedicated entirely to the rumour mill.

I'll kick off with this one, dated today:
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/188820/Rafael-Benitez-up-to-grab-Gerard-Houllier-job/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:39:58 PM by Louzie0 »

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Will any potential new managers form a queue here...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
Benitez - No thanks
If anyone, I'd prefer Moyes.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:31:08 PM »
Before GH was appointed I said I'd like Klinsmann and a director-type to work with him - someone like GH. I still don't think that would be a bad idea.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 01:40:14 PM »
Moyes, Hughes or Lambert for me.

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 01:43:16 PM »

Lambert is an unproven MON. None of the above would be able to attract the calibre of player that GED would IMO

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »
C.V's don't seem to count for much.  Look at Houllier's!  If the board get this wrong, the fans will lose heart and won't bother coming, particularly when money is tight all over the midlands and slightly wider out.  Do the board go for a big name and hope it works?  Such as Van Gaal or do they go for someone solid and steady, like Mark Hughes? Both are risks but that's what the board are there to do. Make tough decisions.  The last one hasn't worked and they need to have the balls to admit it instead of sticking with Houllier and risking losing the lifeblood of the club, the fans. We have nosedived this season.  It's been bloody horrible to watch on the pitch, read in the papers, listen to on the radio and the telly.  Absolute rubbish.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »
I think it will be Hughes, who I know is not everbody's cup of tea, but will at least bring some organisation and devilment back to our side.

Just imagine him spending £20 odd million on defenders who have the remarkable characteristic of being able to defend.

He’d also get inside that loon Irelands head again and maybe able to get the best out of him, which given the lack of craft we have, may not be a bad thing.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »

Lambert is an unproven MON. None of the above would be able to attract the calibre of player that GED would IMO

Why?

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 01:49:15 PM »

Why?

Because GED is a worldwide name in football and the other two aren't. He has far more contacts than all 3 put together.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 01:53:08 PM »
Hughes or Jol or Koeman

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »

Why?

Because GED is a worldwide name in football and the other two aren't. He has far more contacts than all 3 put together.

Of course they are.  Al three have fantastic reputations.  That's a massive assumption there. As for GED  Your talking about the man who attrachted Salif Diao, Sinama Pongholle, and Bruno Cheyrou.  I think we could have done that.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »
Why do I get the feeling I will be saying meh a lot if Houllier leaves?

And I'm meh on the prospect of him staying, too.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 02:47:08 PM »
Coyle?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 02:57:38 PM »
I have been asking for Louis van Gaal however  not sure how hungry he is for wanting to develop a club in Villa's position. He may be after a fat salary job now having proved himself behind and doubt with big European clubs.
So if not van Gaal than a young up and coming coach like Rangnick or Koemann ahead og Hughes or Moyse.

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 03:02:52 PM »

Why?

Of course they are.  Al three have fantastic reputations.  That's a massive assumption there. As for GED  Your talking about the man who attrachted Salif Diao, Sinama Pongholle, and Bruno Cheyrou.  I think we could have done that.
No they aren't. They are names on these shores, Hughes is more global than Moyes. I think you are being naroow minded if you don't believe that GED is a bigger name and has more contacts than the three names you suggested.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal