collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rafa The Gaffer interested in Villa job?  (Read 20398 times)

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Rafa The Gaffer interested in Villa job?
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
The thing is with Benitez is that although he has a reasonable record if you scratch the surface you can see he has had tremndous timing and luck as well. He took over a Valencia side that had been in the last two CL finals so they had a very good team before he arrived. At Liverpool he inherited Gerrard and Hyppia / Carragher in defence. He did get them to the final but did his damnedest to throw it away and without an inspired match by Gerrard and Dudek would have walked away with a massive defeat.
Even the FA cuip final was won by one man in Gerrard again. I doubt we have a Gerrard or a strong defence that he will inherit if he took over in the Summer.

As Houllier seems to be surrounded with bad luck we could do with a lucky manager but from the last few seasons that seems to have abandoned Benitez as well.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2011, 08:21:01 AM »
At Liverpool he inherited Gerrard and Hyppia / Carragher in defence. He did get them to the final but did his damnedest to throw it away and without an inspired match by Gerrard and Dudek would have walked away with a massive defeat.

This is selective reasoning. He inherited Gerrard and Hyypia, but he also inherited Igor Biscan, Djimi Traore and Salif Diao. To get a team like that to win the CL suggests that he is capable of getting as much as possible from a group of players -- and isn't that what we need?

If his team selection and initial tactics in the CL final were bad, then it must also be true that his substitutions and tactical changes were good?

Offline Nirog72

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2011, 01:07:15 AM »
I just think of the Barry saga and it makes me want to throw things at him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal