collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby  (Read 7698 times)

Offline barrysleftfoot

Gabby
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:45:25 AM »

I'm advocating a big clear out, whoevers in charge next year.

From the starting 11 yday, the only player i would insist on keeping is Bent.I would try and sign permanently Walker as well.The rest as far as i am concearned can go, some only at the right price.

My biggest disappointment though has been Gabby this year.Under MON, he was developing nicely, getting better season on season, he still had faults, but overall he looked as if we had a real striker on the books.Now some might blame GH for his failures this season, but i would question how much Gabby wants to be a good player.His movement and touch have not improved, nor has his awareness inside the penalty area.I just think we may have reached the zenith of his ability.When GH told him to lose some muscle, and regain his pace, and Gabby said "i will think about it", i thought it showed ominous signs of his arrogance, and his unwillingness to listen and learn.He has done
nothing this season to dismiss that view.

I'm not quite sure what Gabbys role is at the moment, and more worringly, i don't think Gabby does either.I watched the game yday and compared and contrasted Gabbys performance with Odemwhatever, it was certainly inferior.He looked a threat, Gabby did'nt.

I think Gabby is nothing more than a sub atm, i would prefer to play Delfunso tbh, and i'n starting to lose patience with Gabby.

Offline VillaZogmariner

Re: Gabby
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
So you'd also sell Downing, our best player this season?

"From the starting 11 yday, the only player i would insist on keeping is Bent.I would try and sign permanently Walker as well."

So Bent isn't the only player from the starting 11 you'd insist on keeping then.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
Yay. Lets sign kaka

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 11:53:16 AM »
Yay. Lets sign kaka

We don't need Kaka, we've got Barry Bannan who seems to be the greatest player ever to pull a shirt on and will solve all of our problems.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »

For me theres something lacking in Downings game that stops him being top class.Yday was a casing point, plenty of the ball, good areas, poor delivery.

For me neither Downing or Ayoung pick a player out.Albrighton does, and has a beteer cross than both of them.

I would keep Downing, but if an offer of £15m+ came in then i would be very tempted to sell and get Jarvis in tbh.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »

For me theres something lacking in Downings game that stops him being top class.Yday was a casing point, plenty of the ball, good areas, poor delivery.

For me neither Downing or Ayoung pick a player out.Albrighton does, and has a beteer cross than both of them.

I would keep Downing, but if an offer of £15m+ came in then i would be very tempted to sell and get Jarvis in tbh.

Albrighton's been absolute shit since January.

Offline KrisHacking

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
Gabby is fast as F&*k, up until the moment he has to do it with a ball at his feet!! Generally falls over on approach to the final 3rd!!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 07:08:10 PM »
I'm in the Gabby to stay camp still one of our better players on his day with the season we have had and his injuries then playing him out of position i think he will get better hopefully next season when the whole team will be better i agree with VillaSubmariner that Downing has been our best player this season and Super Marc Albrighton has been a revelation for us and i would not sell Gabby that would be stupid if we did.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
Gabby is fast as F&*k, up until the moment he has to do it with a ball at his feet!! Generally falls over on approach to the final 3rd!!

Sad but true.  Fast going the way of the Moore brothers. 

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »

No he hasn't.  He was the best player on the park at Bolton but has not been seen since.

We always have these negative threads about individual players after a defeat.  Go back to the aftermath of the West Ham game and we had a "Gabby Appreciation Thread".  It's definitely become Hormones and Villains on here over the the last year or two.

(For what it's worth Gabby showed some excellent touches yesterday as well and didn't have that bad a game.  Neither did Petrov who made some good bursts forward and generally used the ball well).

^^This (That)

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 07:22:42 PM »
His assesment as a football player will be the same as his end of school report. Not good enough ..... love gabbys commitment to the club but he is totally limited in his playing ability ......

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »
Stop giving him stuff to do. Get the ball into his feet and put him on the shoulder of the last defender. He'll score then, but if he has time to think about what he's going to do he seems to mess it up. He's a striker and will always be one, not a winger.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »

No he hasn't.  He was the best player on the park at Bolton but has not been seen since.

We always have these negative threads about individual players after a defeat.  Go back to the aftermath of the West Ham game and we had a "Gabby Appreciation Thread".  It's definitely become Hormones and Villains on here over the the last year or two.

(For what it's worth Gabby showed some excellent touches yesterday as well and didn't have that bad a game.  Neither did Petrov who made some good bursts forward and generally used the ball well).

Albrighton's done nothing of note since January. Before January he was excellent but he's lived off that since. It's the 'young player' syndrome where all the fuck ups and poor performances are ignored or brushed under the carpet because he's young and shouldn't be criticised.
A Young and Downing only have to fart and they get slaughtered on here despite the fact they've probably set up most of our goals this season. I like Albrighton but he's gone missing for the last 4 months and deserves a kick up the arse for it.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
Keep Gabby but play him down the middle. He's not a winger and never will be. Part of me believes Houllier I playing him there to piss him off so he'll ask for a move.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »
Gabby's a decent Premier League player who loves the club, never complains despite often being played out of position and being massively overused (under MON) and offers an option on the bench no matter the score to change things.

He probably shouldn't be guarenteed first choice if we want to get back to where we was previously, but to suggest selling him is ridiculous, IMO.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal