collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bent urges Villa pair to stay  (Read 9348 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Bent urges Villa pair to stay
« on: April 28, 2011, 08:52:06 AM »
sportinglife.com

Darren Bent has urged Aston Villa not to sell wingers Ashley Young and Stewart Downing in the summer.

Speculation has suggested the pair could leave Villa Park at the end of the season but Bent says Villa need to keep hold of them if the team is to be successful in the future.

Bent said every player at the club wants Young, who has just over a year remaining on his contract at Villa Park, to stay.

He told Sky Sports News: "Everyone in the dressing room hopes he stays because he has had a fantastic couple of years at Aston Villa and we want it to continue.

"He's a top, top player and, as I said he has been linked to some of the best clubs in the country and when you are playing as well as he is, it is only right.

"And the same with Stewart Downing - he has been fantastic since I've been here, supplying goals for me left, right and centre as well as scoring them and if we can keep hold on to them two players, it will be fantastic."

The striker, who joined Villa from Sunderland in a big money move in January, added: "Obviously, for selfish reasons, for myself and especially ammunition, you want them two players to stay because they supply chances left, right and centre and, as I said, if Aston Villa want to move forward we want to keep our best players and them two are certainly two of our best players."

Offline Mazrim

Re: Bent urges Villa pair to stay
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 09:06:51 AM »
Yep, we need to keep them. I dont think Downing leaving is on the cards at all because I cant see us recieving a huge offer for him as we might for Young. It would be a shot in the arm for Young to stay and I dont think anything has been decided yet.
Maybe a high profile new manager and a strong summer in the transfer market can persuade him to stay and sign a new contract.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »
Petrov urges Barry not to leave.
Carew urges Milner not to leave.
Bent urges Young not to leave.

There's a pattern but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:10:04 AM »
If he doesn't respond to these kind words, I suggest they take Ashley into a locked dressing room and waterboard the little fucker until he signs a new contract.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:11:31 AM »
Yep, we need to keep them. I dont think Downing leaving is on the cards at all because I cant see us recieving a huge offer for him as we might for Young. It would be a shot in the arm for Young to stay and I dont think anything has been decided yet.
Maybe a high profile new manager and a strong summer in the transfer market can persuade him to stay and sign a new contract.

Hope you're right but I can't see any way that Young will stay.  If his head has been turned by Man Utd then he's off regardless of potential new managers.  I think it'll be decided quickly after the season ends which will be a nice change from the previous 'sagas' we've all had to endure with Milner and Barry before him. 

If we replace with a player of equal quality I'm not as bothered as I would've been a couple of years ago. 

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:20:58 AM »
Petrov urges Barry not to leave.
Carew urges Milner not to leave.
Bent urges Young not to leave.

There's a pattern but I can't quite put my finger on it.

In which case I urge Blackcountryvilla not to leave.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »
Stuart (no song) Downing has been absolutely immense this season - a season when mediocrity would have been a 'nice to have'.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »
Anyone else thinking Downing's been tapped up too

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:47:42 AM »
Stuart (no song) Downing has been absolutely immense this season - a season when mediocrity would have been a 'nice to have'.

Immense is stretching it a bit. Without doubt our best player this season, but I'd say he's been on a par with Steven Davis when he was our player of the year.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
After the Man U Schalke game did anybody else notice Ferguson going out of his way to tap up the Schalke goalkeeper?  It was so blatant.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 10:09:09 AM »

Immense is stretching it a bit. Without doubt our best player this season, but I'd say he's been on a par with Steven Davis when he was our player of the year.

I think he's been a bit better than that.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »
If you had to choose one player to stay at Villa. Which one?     Id go with Downing myself.

Offline Pete Green

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 10:16:44 AM »
After the Man U Schalke game did anybody else notice Ferguson going out of his way to tap up the Schalke goalkeeper?  It was so blatant.

It was shown on SSN in slow motion, almost as 'an affectionate tribute to the sly old fox's managerial ways...'

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »

Downing has been greatly improved this season (not hard compared to last) but calling him immense???

Offline sburymozza

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »
how long stu got left on his contract btw?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal