collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:23:45 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:18:16 AM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Liverpool by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:08:34 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by sid1964
[Today at 11:06:34 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by darren woolley
[Today at 10:50:14 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:33:06 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by JD
[Today at 09:58:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bent for sale?  (Read 14994 times)

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
Re: Bent for sale?
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »
i don't get why some dickheads even start threads like this! do you enjoy bringing constant negativity amongst villa fans and fuel the already flaming fire of reporters that don't like us!!??
And I don't get why some people post such dickheadish nonsense instead of actually reading or responding to the initial post. In terms of constant negativity, I've seen much worse on here. In terms of dickheadishness, well there's a reason why I barely frequent the site any more.

What I saw from Bigmatt was a concern that Bent's stock has risen considerably since joining us and that at the moment, there are clubs bigger than us to whom he might seem an attractive purchase.

He asked the question whether anyone was expecting "a big money bid [...] in the summer" and made it quite clear that he hoped this wouldn't be the case.

There's always the chance a bid could come in. I think he would fit into Arsenal's line-up, maybe even a Rooney-less United. However, I don't think it will happen and share Bigmatt's "God, I hope not" sentiment.

Sorry you appear to have been lined up as the new H&V Public Enemy Number 1, Bigmatt. I guess once Houllier won a couple of games and then went and got ill, certain people had to find someone to pick on.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2011, 05:55:46 PM »
Strange title.

Had it been along the lines of How Much is Bent Worth Now? It probably wouldn't raise the hackles so much.

As it is, it's not a leap of faith to deduce that 'Bent For Sale?' by a new poster might, just might be a wind up.

Of course, not being a cynical sort of chap I'm sure that wasn't the intention at all.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »
The title of the thread should surely read "Bent not for sale"

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
Nice to know new posters are welcomed by some :-X

I think if you tweaked the title of the thread it might not have gone down so badly.  Something like "How Much Would Bent be Worth Now"?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »
dont know what people get worked up for,
if a top 4 club came in for Bent and offered good money for him and Bent the chance to earn more,
 he'd be of, and thats it, its just a fact of life

thats what players do,
 thats what happens when we approach another club for a player, pay him more money and if we are regarded in the players eyes as a bigger club with better prospects then he will come.

the good news is that i dont think anyone playing in champs league will come in so we will be OK.

dont think theres anything wrong with the thread title, making it a bit contrversial always gurantees a few more posts

Offline Bigmatt

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »
Is it too late to change the topic title? lol :-[

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2011, 10:32:12 AM »
I'd say the only club near the top that need a good striker is Spurs. Arsenal have RVP, who is very good if they can get more than 25 games out of him a season.

United have Rooney & Hernandez. Berbatov & Owen will probably be sold this summer.
Liverpool have Carroll, Suarez & Kuyt.
City have Balotelli, Dzeko, Tevez. Tevez & Balotelli could both go to Inter/AC Milan this summer. They also have Jo, Santa Cruz & Adebayor don't forget.
Chelsea will re-build their team around Torres & Sturridge next season.

I really don't think we've got anything to worry about.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »
United have Rooney & Hernandez. Berbatov & Owen will probably be sold this summer.

You reckon?  But hasn't Berbatov had a storming season for them?

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »
Why are we supposing that only the whorefour would be interested in signing the premier leagues third most prolific marksman? Why wouldn't he be of interest to the italians or the spaniards?

'Just wonderin loike' as Barry the radish would say.

Offline Bigmatt

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2011, 12:42:29 PM »
Careful Eddie,your sounding very negative :)

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »
I think from an objective perspective he must be disappointed with the move. If it had not happened so quickly he could surely have been a Liverpool target.

Arguably, given his form since the January window, he is a top class striker who should be playing for one of the top four. I think eventually it's a given that he'll make the step up - probably after he gets a good international tournament under his belt.

At the moment, though, I think we're safe. He won't want to move again so quickly, is undoubtedly one of our top earners, and the only club desperate enough - Arsenal - wouldn't pay hypothetical the asking price.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »

If our own fans think so little of our club then what hope have we got?  I wonder if there are any threads on Liverpool forums showing dread at Suarez being sold after he has played barely half a  season for his new club?  Maybe Real Madrid fancy adding him to their attack? There's such a despairing, small-time, defeatist outlook amongst some of us that I find incredibly frustrating.   

We've just shelled out more money on a player than Spurs or Arsenal ever have (I'm talking about the whole £24 million figure here).  I've never known either Spurs or Arsenal ever tempt one of our players to their respective clubs over the past twenty years yet you'd think, reading here, that they are some kind of super club that no player on earth could resist.  As for Liverpool, they are currently the sixth best side in England - similar to us the previous three years.  Did any of us think of our club so highly when we were in that position? 

The worry is that if some of our fans have no belief in our club and its ability to compete then what hope have we got?  It is a form of negativity in my view, that simply transmits itself to players and media alike.  It plays a part, in my view, in holding us back.  It's all such a small-time, defeatist discussion.  We've signed a great goalscorer - let's enjoy it.  Let's dream of how we will develop a team with him being an integral part.

Maybe, just maybe, Bent can play for a top four club and win trophies at Villa Park wearing a claret and blue shirt for a club called Aston Villa?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2011, 11:44:03 PM »
Hard to disagree with most of that BW.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal