collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by lovejoy
[Today at 11:30:28 AM]

NSWE Investment by LeeB
[Today at 11:28:16 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:27:43 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:50:46 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by OCD
[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by lovejoy
[Today at 11:30:28 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeB
[Today at 11:28:16 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:27:43 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 11:24:55 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 11:21:58 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by OCD
[Today at 11:13:37 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Indecent haste?  (Read 84028 times)

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Indecent haste?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 11:35:09 PM »
It has to be sorted quickly because what half decent player is going to come to villa when they don't know who the manager is going to be.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 11:40:08 PM »
Exactly. How can a club commit millions in fee's and salaries on players when you don't know if the man who wants them will be there?

Offline pestria

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 11:41:25 PM »
Exactly. How can a club commit millions in fee's and salaries on players when you don't know if the man who wants them will be there?

Well they did last year....

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 11:45:05 PM »
heh. fair point. still i'd rather we didn't spend 20m this summer only to have GH announce his retirement a month later

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 11:46:25 PM »
Last year they only signed noted mentalist Steven Ireland.

Offline Simba

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 11:48:15 PM »
It has to be sorted quickly because what half decent player is going to come to villa when they don't know who the manager is going to be.

True.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 11:54:19 PM »
I can't see on how we can allow him to take control again his health will always be a concern the minute we go on a losing run.

i'm sure the management will handle the situation discreetly but I'd be surprised if the Doctors gave him a clean bill of health again, one that allows himto be guaranteed no or little chance of another occurance.

Time to put sentiment aside, for his own good if nothing else and make a decision as there is a need for major changes asap

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 12:08:09 AM »
Can we just wait until he's out of the QE with a clean bill of health before we start speculating
Christ, there talk about 2 faced

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 12:13:28 AM »
Sad news. GH should put his health first.

From villa's perspective, we need clarity by about June. We need to have things stable for the new season. We need to fight our way back into  contention for that top six and having a settled pre-season will be a key factor.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 12:33:15 AM »
BTW. I have to say that given the antagonism some have articulated on these pages to GH over the past months -me included- the respect shown concerning his health should be applauded.

Applauded? Whatever you think of him he's one of us, it should be expected.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2011, 05:30:11 AM »

Stephen Ireland ?

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 05:48:10 AM »
Can we just wait until he's out of the QE with a clean bill of health before we start speculating
Christ, there talk about 2 faced

Is it not possible to wish him the speediest recovery, show some concern for the man yet accept that his role in front-line management is very likely finished? Do you think Houllier would rather see us rudderless and sinking down the league again next season, likely into the black hole that is the Championship?

Wake up to yourself! It's no disrespect to Houllier to look for a new manager. In fact, I'd be guessing that Houllier himself has probably offered some suggestions to Randy already given his commitment to this game and, more recently, to the Villa.

Again, we can have respect for the man, we can wish him well, we can hope that he can return to work in some form for us, yet still be forward thinking enough to realise that it's time to look for his replacement.

Still, forward-thinking probably isn't in your arsenal, is it CI?

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2011, 06:11:59 AM »
Indecent haste ?

Judging by some of the comments on this thread, Yes.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2011, 06:40:12 AM »
BTW. I have to say that given the antagonism some have articulated on these pages to GH over the past months -me included- the respect shown concerning his health should be applauded.

And it's nothing less than would be expected, where O'Leary bought out the very worst in fans when he was in charge I think everybody has recognised that Hou is essentially a decent and honourable man. His performance as manager will be disected and anylised, criticised and praised but from the fans who made the infamous banner to Gerard Houlliers biggest supporters, we may be divided on his talent but united on our hopes for his health.

And I'd like to think that this extends to everybody who is employed by the club.

Offline CAVilla

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2011, 07:05:40 AM »
Gerard needs to put his health first, and he would be mad to risk it for the sake of staying in the job. It is most important for him to get back to full health as soon as possible.

One thing I will say, though, is that we can't go beyond the early parts of the summer with any doubt about who is going to be our manager, so if he is going to leave the club, or maybe move "upstairs", we need to react quickly to this, so we don't repeat the turmoil of last summer, and also so we don't throw away the moves forward we've made in the latter part of the season.

I'm going to guess that those talks will start very soon. If this was going to happen, (I don't mean that in any way maliciously or lacking sensitivity, but in terms of uncertainty for his position), then it is best it happened now. We're safe, we are progressing, and as a club we've got a good idea of who from the playing staff is staying and those who will be tossed aside come the summer. It will give the club a few weeks to make solid plans, sound out some targets and get someone in place by June ahead of the transfer window.

If GH can't continue I would have to think the next man will have to follow the same set of principles that will have been started by GH, and endorsed by the board. Get rid of the junk, trim the wages, bring through the kids, and use a wider scouting network to find new talent. Randy will always back his man, but I get the impression that they have a blueprint they wish to follow, be it with or without GH as manager.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal