collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Indecent haste?  (Read 83924 times)

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
Re: Indecent haste?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
I sincerely hope that he gets well soon and makes a full recovery first and foremost...

Regarding GH as Manager? I can't see him coming back. I didn't realise it was that serious. Listening to Thompson today on Sky, he kept repeating that it would be his wife that would have the last word..he looked pretty uncomfortable about it all and said he had been in to see him.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:50:26 PM by avfcpg »

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
Leeg and I were discussing this pre match, and we both agreed that we were looking forward to seeing how Houllier was going to reshape the squad in the summer. Unfortunately I think with his health problems he should give up the management for his own good. As someone else has mentioned, his wife and family are going to have a huge say in this matter too, and I doubt they would want to risk his health any more.

Hopefully though Randy will offer him some sort of advisory role, perhaps similar to the one he was doing with the French FA prior to becoming the boss here.

As for his replacement, Randy now has time (a few weeks at least) to start sounding out who he wants. Personally I'd be looking at better than Moyes (I'm far from his biggest fan). There are some very good managers that are looking (or will be in the Summer) for work and I think we are still an attractive enough proposition for them to be interested.

Benitez, Van Gaal, Hiddink, possibly even Ancelotti (if he doesn't go back to Roma), Ranieri are just some of the names that spring to mind. However, if Houllier wanted to be a bit more hands on, but not the actual Manager I'd look at either Lambert or Grayson.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 10:01:39 PM »
I wanted Houller to have a complete summer of trading and time to get rid of the crap, but i will admit i don't think he will be back as manager. Lerner would have not have visited him just to wish him well they would have talked about the future and the need to have something settled before the end of the season. Not a fan of Gmac and i wish he wasn't in control for the rest of the season, did not see any reason for taking Downing off today and left Gabby on the bench far too long.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 10:02:45 PM »
Ashley Young seems to be untouchable.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »
I was certain when it happened he wouldn't return.  I really can't see him being fit to do this job full time again. We need to start a search for a new manager ASAP

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 10:40:16 PM »
I was also looking forward to Houllier rebuilding our squad.

For me I'd go all our to get David Moyes, he would hit ground running.

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 10:44:20 PM »
New manger needs to be in place for next season. GH can be given a 'director of football' role or something so it makes the club not look bad
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:47:09 PM by wozwebs »

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »

I wonder if he will make us as glum and depressing as Everton.

Offline Simba

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 10:59:05 PM »
Oh G*D. More transition?

Check the contract, I am sure it has a clause involving his health. Wish him well, good man. Let him see out his time with Family as they and he deserve. Upstairs is fine with me. Seriously good Luck GH from a doubter as our coach/manager. A decent man as I said.

Now find us a Manager for the long term.

Moyes? I dunno. I would prefer a winner. Is he that?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »
Would Moyes or any other top-line manager come here while Houllier was upstairs? Would they do it for less money than he's on? Would he take a pay cut? Assuming the last two answers are 'no', can we afford another three million a year?

It's not as easy as it seems.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 11:02:45 PM »

I'm torn on Moyes. I know he's done a lot of creditable things at Everton, so why do his teams always seem to start the season off like utter shit? Yes, they come back to finish 6th to 8th almost every season, but isn't that a major flaw? Also, Everton's record at Man U is every bit as bad as ours is in the past 20 years. Even today they went to defend deep and inevitably got caught and lost. If we are to take a major step forward I want a manager who's going to give it a go in every single from the off. Who doesn't ever play scared. I'm not sure Moyes is that man.

Offline Simba

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »
Hmm. It is a good point Dave. As I say it depends on the contract. And "key person" insurance.

All I am saying is that, we all agree I am sure, GH needed a full season to prove himself and we can no longer count on that.

The Club can't count on that. So irrespective of the legals- we have to move forward. With all sincere respect to GH and his Family so does he. With good health I hope.

We need, selfishly perhaps to plan for the next ten years. What is wrong with that as a business?

Whatever it takes.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 11:15:37 PM »
I think it may be for the best for both parties if Gerard retires with our best wishes. A shame as I was starting to warm to him a bit. Funny what two good results will do. The c**tish behaviour of some of our players this season probably hasn't helped him. I'm genuinely saddened that it is more serious than we first thought.

Moyes reminds me a lot of O'Neill in a lot of ways for good and for ill.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 11:25:11 PM »
Would Moyes or any other top-line manager come here while Houllier was upstairs? Would they do it for less money than he's on? Would he take a pay cut? Assuming the last two answers are 'no', can we afford another three million a year?

It's not as easy as it seems.

GH seems a very honourable man to me. I don't think he'd take the money if he was on the sick for 6 months. If he went upstairs its not like a Dalglish scenario when you've got an ex-manager/idol seemingly waiting to take over at the first chance. If he went upstairs it's because he can't do the manager's job.  The one thing we can't afford is to plunge aimlessly into next season with a manager who may/may not come back.

Offline Simba

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 11:29:26 PM »
BTW. I have to say that given the antagonism some have articulated on these pages to GH over the past months -me included- the respect shown concerning his health should be applauded.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal