collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Indecent haste?  (Read 83927 times)

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
Indecent haste?
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:26:07 PM »
We need a new manager.

With the best will in the world, Houllier will not be back within a year, if then, so some serious decisions need to be made, and made fast. Let's not end up with a fiasco like the beginning of this season.

We don't need another season of transition - that would be a disaster. No up-and-coming young bucks, we need a tried and tested Premiership-class manager to step straight in and hit the ground running. There's a lot of things to sort out and time is short.

Over to you, Randy.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Indecent haste?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »
The General has confirmed over on VT that GED does have a serious heart problem and that he will NOT return to the dugout for the remainder of this season.
I think its possible to read between some lines here.

If its ok to C&P from there, this is what he has posted.

General Krulak here:

1. First off, I have passed on your good wishes to GH. As you might know, he has suffered a problem that he has suffered before...at Liverpool. It is serious...something that we need to be concerned about. Randy flew over to see him and everyone at the Club has been extending best wishes. I am afraid that he will not be on the sidelines for the remainder of our games....the key is his health and that he recover completely.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:34:31 PM by andyh »

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »
If the General has said that its time to go hunting.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »
if its that long term and its gonna take a long time for him to recover then yep, i'm sure they're looking at options as well as providing a role for GH if he wants it. Personally i'd be on the phones to Moyes Agent ASAP

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
I think one of the biggest issues here, if not THE biggest issue is:
Mrs. Houllier.
She is not going to want her husband to continue to work and jeopordise his health anymore.
Lets not underestimate the influence she is going to have in GED's future.

Offline The Moose

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »
As I see it, this is the single most important issue of this season!
Aston Villa is a multi-million pound enterprise, the heart and soul of thousands of us fans, and we can't just muddle along with a second-rate management team, even to the end of the season. Steps must be taken, and taken fast.
Never mind that the best managers are signed up to other clubs, money talks. Get in, offer whatever it takes, and get your man.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
Gerard needs to put his health first, and he would be mad to risk it for the sake of staying in the job. It is most important for him to get back to full health as soon as possible.

One thing I will say, though, is that we can't go beyond the early parts of the summer with any doubt about who is going to be our manager, so if he is going to leave the club, or maybe move "upstairs", we need to react quickly to this, so we don't repeat the turmoil of last summer, and also so we don't throw away the moves forward we've made in the latter part of the season.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 08:57:34 PM »
Having read the comment from the General I honestly don't see anything there that is new or which changes what they have been saying about GH recuperating for a time before returning during the summer.

Think Houllier is doing a good job and should be able to follow through with his plans after a  recuperative rest till the end of the season. Players have been visiting BH with a view to being signed.  Current players have made plans to move or stay, according to his plans for the summer and next season.

If the team found it difficult at times today, I thought it showed how much his influence is needed at games, and the kind of impact he can have on a game was illustrated very clearly last week and the week before.  I don't see the point of saying, 'get someone else' when his approach is beginning to pay off and I believe he deserves the opportunity to build on what he has achieved so far with a proper pre-season preparation for next season and key new players.

If it becomes evident that GH will need far longer than a few weeks to recover, then fair enough!  But let's not write him off at this stage.

Offline The Moose

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 09:04:36 PM »
He rushed back after five months last time, the best part of ten years ago. He admitted that was far too soon. How long this time? Even five months takes us into next season. Are we going to have a caretaker in charge for all of that time?
I wish him well, but sentiment comes way down the list of Premier League priorities.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »
Having read the comment from the General I honestly don't see anything there that is new or which changes what they have been saying about GH recuperating for a time before returning during the summer.

Think Houllier is doing a good job and should be able to follow through with his plans after a  recuperative rest till the end of the season. Players have been visiting BH with a view to being signed.  Current players have made plans to move or stay, according to his plans for the summer and next season.

If the team found it difficult at times today, I thought it showed how much his influence is needed at games, and the kind of impact he can have on a game was illustrated very clearly last week and the week before.  I don't see the point of saying, 'get someone else' when his approach is beginning to pay off and I believe he deserves the opportunity to build on what he has achieved so far with a proper pre-season preparation for next season and key new players.

If it becomes evident that GH will need far longer than a few weeks to recover, then fair enough!  But let's not write him off at this stage.

I think you're right,I don't see that too much has changed,the only difference being that we didn't win today and people need a reason for an average performance.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 09:12:21 PM »
I dont think we should speculate while he's still in hospital
Lets just wish hime well at this time

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
Gerard needs to put his health first, and he would be mad to risk it for the sake of staying in the job. It is most important for him to get back to full health as soon as possible.

One thing I will say, though, is that we can't go beyond the early parts of the summer with any doubt about who is going to be our manager, so if he is going to leave the club, or maybe move "upstairs", we need to react quickly to this, so we don't repeat the turmoil of last summer, and also so we don't throw away the moves forward we've made in the latter part of the season.

I'm going to guess that those talks will start very soon. If this was going to happen, (I don't mean that in any way maliciously or lacking sensitivity, but in terms of uncertainty for his position), then it is best it happened now. We're safe, we are progressing, and as a club we've got a good idea of who from the playing staff is staying and those who will be tossed aside come the summer. It will give the club a few weeks to make solid plans, sound out some targets and get someone in place by June ahead of the transfer window.

If GH can't continue I would have to think the next man will have to follow the same set of principles that will have been started by GH, and endorsed by the board. Get rid of the junk, trim the wages, bring through the kids, and use a wider scouting network to find new talent. Randy will always back his man, but I get the impression that they have a blueprint they wish to follow, be it with or without GH as manager.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »
Don't think we're being disrespectful discussing this really. Any football club needs a hands-on manager otherwise its rudderless. if he's out the loop for the rest of this season at least, then even if he returns we need to put things in place. Personally i've supported GH this season but if there's any doubt he can return as fit as before, then between now and the end of the season the club have to get a new manager

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 09:40:39 PM »
The title of the thread is very fitting

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »
Get well Mr Houllier. David Moyes' claret & blue army.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal