collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa-BBC drama on Munich air crash.  (Read 29911 times)

Offline Lucky Eddie

Re: 0% Villa-BBC drama on Munich air crash.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 08:44:07 AM »
Take away the hysteria whenever Manchester United get mentioned.

If this is any good it will be a fascinating programme. Munich is one of those things that everyone knows about but few people know much about. There could be some really interesting human interest stuff - the Arsenal player who could have injured Duncan Edwards the Saturday before and regretted that he didn't for the rest of his life, Edwards' fight for life, Harry Gregg going back into the plane to rescue injured survivors (including the pregnant Mrs 'not mother of John' Lukic) and the diablical way United treated widows and survivors, including evicting them from club houses, making them pay to see mementoes they donated to the cub museum and Cantona getting more money than they did from the tribute match.   

I'll be a monkey's uncle if that club are displayed by the beeb in anything like such a poor light Dave, but I thank you for giving me reason to hate them all the more.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 09:15:57 AM »
I might watch it for the historical interest. I know that was then and this is now, Duncan Edwards also did national service.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »
The Times this morning says it's very 'Mawkish' and that the actor playing Matt Busby isn't very good.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 11:42:01 AM »

If this is any good it will be a fascinating programme. Munich is one of those things that everyone knows about but few people know much about. There could be some really interesting human interest stuff - the Arsenal player who could have injured Duncan Edwards the Saturday before and regretted that he didn't for the rest of his life, Edwards' fight for life, Harry Gregg going back into the plane to rescue injured survivors (including the pregnant Mrs 'not mother of John' Lukic) and the diablical way United treated widows and survivors, including evicting them from club houses, making them pay to see mementoes they donated to the cub museum and Cantona getting more money than they did from the tribute match.   

I'll be a monkey's uncle if that club are displayed by the beeb in anything like such a poor light Dave, but I thank you for giving me reason to hate them all the more.

We all know so much about it because it has received more than enough coverage over the years.  If the BBC wishes to spend licence fee payers' money on football documentaries/dramas my view would be that other clubs' histories need to be looked at too - and it would surely be just as interesting?  The Burnden Park disaster of 1946 would be a valuable topic to look at on an historical level: thirty-three people crushed to death and the media don't seem to be remotely interested. 

There are other aspects of football history and stories that are as worthy of examination.  As I said in a previous post, the story of Villa's trip to Germany and the team's refusal to do the Nazi salute - despite huge pressure from the FA and government diplomats - would make  a fantastic drama. 

Alas, it would appear some clubs' histories and disasters are more worthy than others.  I'd like to know how the media dictates and decides such things because, at the end of the day, such decisions have a huge impact on a club's support, image and finances.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 11:47:07 AM »

We all know so much about it because it has received more than enough coverage over the years.  If the BBC wishes to spend licence fee payers' money on football documentaries/dramas my view would be that other clubs' histories need to be looked at too - and it would surely be just as interesting?  The Burnden Park disaster of 1946 would be a valuable topic to look at on an historical level: thirty-three people crushed to death and the media don't seem to be remotely interested. 

There are other aspects of football history and stories that are as worthy of examination.  As I said in a previous post, the story of Villa's trip to Germany and the team's refusal to do the Nazi salute - despite huge pressure from the FA and government diplomats - would make  a fantastic drama. 

Alas, it would appear some clubs' histories and disasters are more worthy than others.  I'd like to know how the media dictates and decides such things because, at the end of the day, such decisions have a huge impact on a club's support, image and finances.

Although they shouldn't be, the BBC are chasing ratings and anything with the name "Manchester United" in will attract viewers however unpallatable we may find it.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 11:48:09 AM »
And also, possibly, because it's the biggest English football story of all time.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
It's also the reason they started to get supporters from all over the country. They don't need any more.

I'd rather see a documentary about something that isn't already so well known. That bloke Friday that used to play for Reading or something like that.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
It's also the reason they started to get supporters from all over the country. They don't need any more.

I'd rather see a documentary about something that isn't already so well known. That bloke Friday that used to play for Reading or something like that.

Robin Friday ? I read the book about him,it's a really interesting story,seemed quite a maverick,and as there's no footage of him,and no one knows much about him,it would make a good drama.

Unless you're talking of Crusoe's Friday,didnt know he played for Reading!

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »

Although they shouldn't be, the BBC are chasing ratings and anything with the name "Manchester United" in will attract viewers however unpallatable we may find it.

Well it's chicken and egg, surely?  This business of the name "Manchester United" attracting viewers is only because the media built up the name in the first place.  The media (and Man Utd's willingness to play the media game) is what has created this situation.  (The Susan Boyle Effect.)

Dave, your point that it is possibly the biggest English footballing story of all time?  Again, such a perception is down to the media, surely?  It's an awful story, a shocking tragedy - but I've had a bellyful of it and know more than I ever could want to know about it now.  The same applies to Hillsborough.  If the media wishes to cast its light on football clubs and their histories than it surely is time to look at other clubs?  Bolton, Ibrox and  FC Torino for starters.  There's as much history and drama in there.  It would be as  refreshing and interesting to hear the stories of these clubs. 

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 12:46:10 PM »
Well its certainly provoking controversy in some quarters.

The makers of a BBC film about the Munich air crash have been accused of insulting and exploiting the memory of those killed and injured.

Sandy Busby, son of the legendary Manchester United manager Sir Matt, described the £2million production as a ‘piece of rubbish’ which made his father look like a gangster.

Former United goalkeeper Harry Gregg, who became known as the hero of Munich after pulling injured victims from the blazing wreckage, said the film was an ‘embarrassment’ and added that he had asked for his name to be removed from the credits.
   He said that scenes including one where a player is shown smoking a pipe in the tunnel before the game were an ‘affront’ to the dead.

And the wife of surviving defender Bill Foulkes, who led the team out at Wembley four months after the crash which claimed 23 lives, said it was a ‘shocking insult’ that he was not even mentioned in the film. The 90-minute production, starring former Doctor Who actor David Tennant, is to be screened tomorrow night. It focuses on the roles of Bobby Charlton, who was 20 at the time of the crash, and assistant manager Jimmy Murphy.

Part of the film portrays how Murphy helped rebuild the team as Busby recovered from life-threatening injuries
In previewing and promoting the film, Tennant, who plays Murphy, claimed: ‘I dare say the film will go out and people will find reason to quibble with certain details but the research was fastidious. It is as close to the truth as we can find.’

One survivor responded: ‘This may have been the sort of “fastidious” research they have for Doctor Who, but not for a deeply emotional and painful episode such as happened at Munich.’
The film, United, is loosely based on the events of February 1958, when the brilliant young team known as the Busby Babes were returning from Belgrade after playing a European Cup match against the Red Star team.

After the team’s chartered aircraft refuelled at Munich, British European Airways flight 609 crashed on its third attempt to take off from the slush-covered runway.
Twenty of the 44 on board were killed in the crash and another three died of their injuries in hospital in the days that followed. Eight players were among the dead, including 21-year-old Duncan Edwards, who was already regarded as one of the greatest British players of all time. 

Harry Gregg, now 78 and living in his native Northern Ireland, said: ‘The film portrays the team – one of the finest in the world at the time – as a pub team.

‘It gives a false picture of football at that time and the way in  which Matt Busby created his visionary team.

‘There are a number of scenes where Mark Jones (a defender who died in the crash) is seen smoking a pipe, including in the changing room and in the tunnel before the game. I know there’s poetic licence but that’s ridiculous, insulting and an affront to the players and their memories.’
The film ignores the deaths of a senior member of the United management team, Walter Crickmer, coaches Bert Whalley and Tom Curry, and eight journalists, including the Daily Mail’s Eric Thompson. It also overlooks the dedication of the pilot Captain James Thain, who helped pull survivors from the wreckage.

Dougray Scott’s portrayal of Matt Busby is criticised as being ‘sadly distorted and misleading’. Sandy Busby, who still has links with United, added: ‘They’ve put my dad in a long overcoat and a trilby hat and in doing so have made him more like a gangster.

‘In the film he never once appears in a tracksuit, despite the fact he was one of the first post-war managers known for putting on a  tracksuit and getting out on the training pitch.

‘I was never consulted about the film and now having seen it, I’m glad I had nothing to do with it.’

Bill Foulkes, one of the eight survivors still alive, was unable to participate in the making of the film because of a long-term medical condition. His wife Teresa said: ‘How can they not mention Bill in the film? He’s erased from the story as if he never existed.’

A BBC spokesman said: ‘The film is a drama not a documentary. It was a dramatic choice to focus on the stories of Jimmy Murphy and Bobby Charlton but the same story could have been told in many ways as all are equally important.

‘The film was researched using biographies, testimonies, documentaries, personal accounts, first-hand interviews and Manchester United FC Museum.

‘The story of the Busby Babes is of huge social and cultural significance in this country and this film is a respectful and fitting portrayal of the spirit of the club and community as they fought to overcome this tragedy.

‘As soon as the film was finished, a private screening was arranged in Manchester for the survivors of the film and the relatives of those who lost their lives. No one came forward to object.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1379752/BBCs-Munich-air-crash-film-insulting-rubbish-says-Sandy-Busby.html

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
If it's "loosely based" on the story then you would expect some anomalies of the type described above.

It's nice of the Daily Mail to use the feelings of those involved to continue their vendetta against the BBC though.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »
would much rather see a documentary on the FA cup final of the previous year,
 i think the mighty Busby Babes lost, you know the ones that were the greatest ever football team etc

as for the Munich program, i havent got a problem with it,
 i've long since acepted that Man Utd are the Nations team, the establishment if you like, its not going to change
there fans sing 'we can do what we want' because they can, they sing they are bigger than England because they are

in 58 Man Utd were a fine football club, in 2000 they pulled out of the FA cup to spread the franchise and build the brand, thats what they have become a global brand

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 02:01:25 PM »
I shall be watching, Weller's written a new song for it (Devotion).

I hope it is a new song and not a cover version of Ten City.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Man U
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »
While I dislike Man U, the FA forced them to pull out of the FA Cup.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
While I dislike Man U, the FA forced them to pull out of the FA Cup.

yeah, cus Fergie always does everything the FA says

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal