collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ged changed his views. . . and the team improved  (Read 15239 times)

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Ged changed his views. . . and the team improved
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »
I dont think its tactical genuis. We scraped a 1-0 win against Newcastle and beat the hammers in 90 minute.

I am glad we are winning but its nothing to do with muppet Houiller

So it's entirely his fault when we lose but nothing at all to do with him when we win??

Under Houlllier I wouldn't say that we've won any single game as a consequence of his inspirational leadership, or tactical acumen.

Conversely we have lost plenty as a consequence of his bizarre team selections and tactical ineptitude.
Houllier did sign Bent though, our previous manager would not have.

Offline 1_Pablo_Angel

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »
He's reverted to a much more MON Villa.

The players don't attempt to pass it half as much as they have done since GH has been in charge. They get it forward much quicker.

exactly - GED tried to change too much too quickly.  Back to (MON) basics will get the team more than safe  - the time to change will be in the summer.

Spot on. I've likened GH to a Bull in a china shop when he first arrived at Villa Park.

Although I remember when he dropped Cuellar to bring fatty Dunne back into the side thinking that the only possible explanation was that Houllier didn't want to rock the boat or change too much too quickly.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 02:09:18 PM »
I dont think its tactical genuis. We scraped a 1-0 win against Newcastle and beat the hammers in 90 minute.

I am glad we are winning but its nothing to do with muppet Houiller

So it's entirely his fault when we lose but nothing at all to do with him when we win??

Under Houlllier I wouldn't say that we've won any single game as a consequence of his inspirational leadership, or tactical acumen.

So changing our system over the last 3 games and accrueing 7 points in the process has nowt to do with Houllier ??

Many players in the press have mentioned a meeting with Houllier that has cleared the air and motivated the team ( including Collins)
I'm not Houlliers greatest fan but the upturn is as much down to him as the players IMO

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 02:13:16 PM »
Although I remember when he dropped Cuellar to bring fatty Dunne back into the side thinking that the only possible explanation was that Houllier didn't want to rock the boat or change too much too quickly.

As has been mentioned on here before, the reason Carlos doesn't play more is that passing it the weakest part of his game, but something that Gezza values greatly.   

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 02:26:30 PM »
Agree, Archie's wording is perfectly fine.  I think you're being a bit pernickity there ktvillan.

As long as you don't use the term 'score zone' regarding the penalty area!

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2011, 02:30:06 PM »

BTW Archie, I know English is not your first language but use of Americanism like "roster" instead of "squad" really grates.  I hate it when I hear Wenger talking about offensive play and players when it's always been attacking play/ players.  Savage and Barton, now they are offensive players but it has nowt to do with their attacking play.   

I really didn't know it was an americanism, sorry for my poor English mate, I won't use this word in the future if it's not appropriate!

Your English is excellent Archie, grammatically there's no problem with it, I just hate the way americanisms are creeping into our language more and more and people just seem to accept it.  Offensive is often used in a miltary context for attacking but was rarely if ever heard of in the context of football prior to the influx of foreign players and managers (particularly Wenger).  It is annoying to me as someone calling football soccer.  And I reckon there'd be a fair few Brits who wouldn't have a clue what you mean by roster if they had no interest in American sports.  It is perhaps just me being a grumpy old git but in my Dee-fens (another teeth grater) I'd guess I'm not alone in disliking this tendency of blindly accepting American cultural influence. 

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »
I'd guess I'm not alone in disliking this tendency of blindly accepting American cultural influence. 

You're not alone.  I agree with you on this.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »
Whilst there has been a change in the style of play since the Wolves debacle which has led to some improvement, there has also been a change in luck more our way as well.

Everton's disallowed goal which would have put them 2-1 ahead as we would not have scored 20 secs later, Newcastle not having a good youngster upfront to chose the correct options and Nolan not playing, West Ham missing Parker and the ref ruling Dunnes push in our favour along with Can't Control having a duff match. Whilst it is not 100% in our favour (Evertons Pen and the Bent disallowed goals) it is still in our direction.

In previous matches almost every defensive howler was punished with a goal, recently it hasn't been.

Offline Archie

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 09:30:49 PM »
Thank you Ktvillan and to everyone, mates; I'm very  happy (and lucky) to have the opportunity to learn certain details and shades of  English language discussing with you about our beloved Villa. I know that a lot of people  think English is easy to learn, whereas I think it's very, very difficult, so thank you to everyone for your precious suggestions.   

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »
Thank you Ktvillan and to everyone, mates; I'm very  happy (and lucky) to have the opportunity to learn certain details and shades of  English language discussing with you about our beloved Villa. I know that a lot of people  think English is easy to learn, whereas I think it's very, very difficult, so thank you to everyone for your precious suggestions.   

Sounds good to me Archie!

Offline willywombat

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 11:38:19 PM »
I'd guess I'm not alone in disliking this tendency of blindly accepting American cultural influence. 

Way to go!

Offline not3bad

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2011, 09:35:19 AM »

Way to go!

I didn't realise Archie was Italian (poor observation, missed his location), I thought he was English (which I guess is a compliment on Archie's skills).  With this in consideration I agree it was a bit of a fussy comment.  My agreement is withdrawn.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with givng a friendly pointer to our European cousins in the ways of "proper" English rather than that bastardised version from across the pond. I did acknowledge that it wasn't Archie's first language and he appears to have accepted the comments in the enlightening spirit in which they were intended.  Good man Archie.  Whereas I despair of some of the  native speakers on here who seem to think terms like "must of" and "could of" are part of the English language .  They are just ignorant gits.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
I bet Archie's English is better than the vast majority of this site's Italian.

Offline not3bad

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »
As far as I know "could of" is part of established Brummigam dialect.  Everyone I knew growing up used it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal